Van Morrison '08 Japan cd remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I have the remastered Japanese CDs of Astral Weeks and Moondance. I'm very happy with them -- I think they're clearly better the original U.S. CDs. They're NOT mini-LP sleeves; mine are jewelboxes.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. So yours are definitely the 2008 remasters? What are the catalog numbers? I want to make sure I get the correct discs.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

4. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

The Japanese remasters of these two are only available in jewel cases.

5. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Just look for the 'WPCR-754xxx' catalog numbers and the 'Forever Young' obi's, those are the ones.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The japanese "remasters" are good, but the Warner/Rhino LPs are much better IMHO.

7. KeithH

8. KeithH

That figures. Who mastered the CDs?

9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

11. stephen@hennefer

stephen@hennefer New Member

I can only compare a needledrop of a early 80's US press to the Japan CD.

The Japan CD isn't very good Van's voice has a very metalic edge. As they say they used the original 1/4 inch master tapes it's a disapointment.

Alas we'll probably never see what could be possible, I'll be playing the needledrop while I wait

12. stephen@hennefer

I failed to say this refers to Astral Weeks:rolleyes:

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have both of them and think they sound pretty good. You did not make a mistake.:cheers:

14. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

I received ASTRAL WEEKSandMOONDANCEtoday from HMV Japan and the latter sounds terrific.

15. stephen@hennefer

And Astral Weeks?

16. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Astral Week is very good too(compared to the regular redbook)but in comparison to Moondance it seems a bit rough.
    Just listening to Moondance on the headphones and you can hear all the detail and nuances in his voice.

17. stephen@hennefer

Are you able to upload a sample of Moondance, so that we could compare it to my needledrop?

I could upload Astral Weeks samples.

18. KeithH

I recently obtained the '08 Moondance LP mastered by Steve and also ordered the CD a few days ago. Given my average turntable, I'm wondering if the CD will sound better. I also have the West German target for comparison.

19. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I was able to slip in at the last minute on the sale at HMV on these 2008 remastered CDs. Man, did they fill that order and ship these quickly! I got Astral Weeks, His Band & the Street Choir and Moondance. I am totally satisfied. I would wholeheartedly recommend these versus the old CDs they replace. No comparison. :righton:

20. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

I just listened to the remastered Japanese Astral Weeks cd. Compared to the bright, shrill regular US cd, it is a great improvement IMHO. The regular US cd was unlistenable to me, shrill and dull at the same time. Everything has been improved on the remastered cd: deeper defined bass and the excessive shrill treble has been removed. I don't know why I waited to long to buy this remaster.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

where did you get it from, jjay?

22. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Amazon Marketplace - Importcds

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No, that's not it. The catalog number for the Japanese 2008 remastered CD of MOONDANCE is: WPR-75420 ... and I'm playing my copy right now and must say it's he best-sounding version of MOONDANCE I've ever heard. Unfortunately, MOONDANCE is now out of print in Japan, so grab one while you still can. The other two titles are still in print.

24. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

you can pick up the correct Van Morrison japanese remaster at Amazon UK. for around $27.00 U.S.

25. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just listened to the '08 Japanese remaster of Moondance. Can't say I'm a big fan of the mastering but it's great to hear the original mix of Into the Mystic. I wonder if they used Steve's transfer? I know Steve made a digital copy, otherwise how else could he present a cd-r of his work at one of his talks, but if they did, they definitely tweaked it.

The WB cd was mastered at a very quiet level, but even if you normalize it, it's still about half as loud as the Japanese remaster. Not a fan of the eq on the WB cd, but I do like how dynamic it sounds. Wish they kept that for the remaster.

The sound is still a bit bright and edgy. Maybe that's the way they engineered the album? In any case, I wish they brought out the bass a tiny bit more. As is, it's still kind of cold. So was the older cd but here things sound more boosted. It really does have that 'Rhino' sound, very similar to the Fleetwood Mac and Yes remasters they've done in the past. Louder with a bright edge.

So overall, far from definitive, but you could do much worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.