I got caught up in Auction Fever

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by drbryant, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member Thread Starter

For years, although I can probably afford to do so, I've prided myself on not trying to win bidding wars over items. I followed a strict rule - take what I would be willing to pay in a used store, add 20%, and go to sleep. I have always been of the view that sooner or later, the item will be available again. But, last night, I just had to have a disc on auction in Tokyo, and decided I just would not get outbid. Ending price, a little over $400. :eek:

That's the last time I'll do something like that. I'm happy with the item, but it ended up being the same price that I paid to actually see Led Zeppelin in concert last November, and that can't be right. But, having gotten caught up in the "fever" of an auction on something I really wanted, I can now understand what it is like for others.

2. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Which disc? We're all friends here :)

3. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

That has happened to me a few times. The disk always comes up later for a fraction of the price.

4. drbryant

Oops, thought I posted that. It was Zepp IV 38XP-3 gold obi, with the red target CD. I'm concerned that others will pop up, but I haven't seen too many of these gold obi Zepps, and many have the regular teal target CD inside.

The highest that I paid before this was $180, which I've done three times - an AC/DC mint 32XD wit obi, a UK mono Sgt. Pepper, and a promo copy of "Ringo" with the long "Six o' Clock." Oh well.

5. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I recall seeing one recently on Ebay (with OBI) that went for over $400.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

That's a nice item. Congrats!

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:agree: and that was a CD in only VG condition, so Congrats drbryant :thumbsup:

8. Wow, first I've heard of this Zep pressing. If you have time, pix would be cool :)

-s1m0n-

9. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1489465&postcount=9

I have the gold obi 38XP-3 but with the Teal Target.

drbryant once you receive this I'd be interested in knowing what is on the back page of the front insert as well as the back insert.
    The copyright info, printing location, catalog number and font type.

See Ralph's page to compare:
    http://www.ralphscomiccorner.com/cds/ledzepIV.html

BTW I would have also paid 400 for that disc :)

10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

You've "joined" the club! Excellent CD, btw. But you're not getting the "There's better ways to spend your money" that I seem to get when I buy a rare/coveted CD. :thumbsup: Congrats to you! I'm glad you got what you wanted. I know what your response will be (It'll never happen again!), but it does happen. Great grab.

11. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

13. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I'm missing those 2 discs...........:angel: :D

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You mean December :)

Congrats on the purchase. I've had auction fever in the past too. I think we all have :)

Eddie

15. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I did a whuile back for a 35DP Pros and Cons - Roger Waters CD, it ended up going for over $150. I didn't realize at the time that you could get it pretty easy for $50 or less. Thank goodness I did not win that auction! :eek:

16. drbryant

That's actually a pretty rare disc, but there isn't a massive demand for it, the way that there is for the group discs.

17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

yeh it is strange to me there is litle demand for that because I have always LOVED that album. But I guess I am in the minority on that. :confused:

18. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I have that one. A Japan for U.S. that was sealed in cellophane, with the front cutout on the longbox. Too bad it got trashed, after lending it out. I should have known it was rare 25 years ago, just like my black-faced Asia Geffen Japan for U.S. Target thats missing.:sigh:

19. heaudio

heaudio New Member

Happened to me yesterday with a Toshiba Abbey Road... but I got it! :righton:

20. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Yep. How else could I explain a $38 box of Magnum P.I. trading cards I've got sitting on my shelf? :laugh:

Congrats on the Zep disc!

21. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

If I figure I'm not going to get an item, I make sure the guy bidding against me pays as much as possible. :)

22. What on earth good does that do? That's pure spite.

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yep.

24. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

but how do you do this? you don't know what he/she bid? how do you know when you push the price up you won't "win"?

25. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

and your eBay handle is ??? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.