I got caught up in Auction Fever

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by drbryant, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I chance it. :)

;)

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Sounds like a plan. :D

I did drive somebody into paying $102 for the Target of Foreigners Head Games a year back. It was even mentioned here! :eek:
    His money gone, not mine!

:angel:

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member Thread Starter

And you're the "sweet" gort? I worry about meeting the others!

Seriously, that doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. You might win the item, right?

That was the whole point of this thread -- I got the "fever", put out a high max bid, and ended up paying a lot. I'll probably go back to my old "what I'm willing to pay +20%. I lose a lot, but what the heck.

That said, the Zep red target CD came today, and it is very, very nice. $400+ worth of "nice"? Not sure, but having seen the disc, I feel a lot better about my purchase. I'll post the rear insert over the weekend.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I seem to have a sixth sense about how far to take it - never come unstuck yet - but I see ya point.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I think he was making a point about personal ethics as well as taking a chance, though that may be my own feelings about such practice.

6. Yes, that's the part that confuses me. Even if there were no chance at all of winning the item because you had an infallible sixth sense about how far you could push it, why would you do it? You still don't get the product and the seller isn't giving you a cut. To me, it serves as much purpose as going around and popping people's balloons.

7. erniebert

My balloon feels popped when that other bidder ruins my good deal. :mad:

"I could've got that for 99 cents!!"

;)

8. erniebert

What on Earth good does that do? That's pure spite.

:laugh:

9. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

even you gotta admit it is kind of strange. I still don't really believe it because you don't know what they bid and you could win it still.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

LOL. Well it definitely made me laugh. :laugh:

11. erniebert

Depends on the vibe I get off the person. I can back off if I get antsy or I can NAIL HIM TO THE WALL AND MAKE HIM SUFFER!!

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

drbryant, I will be curious to know which catalog number is on your disc -- the U.S. catalog number of 19129-2 or the European catalog number 250 008. I have the 250 008 disc without the OBI strip. As I recall, that $400 disc on eBay with the OBI strip was the 19129-2 disc. I wonder if both discs were issued with the OBI strip.

13. drbryant

Keith -

Sorry, I needed to leave town and have not gotten to this. It is the 19129-2 catalog number. The rear insert is the same as the West German target, but it has no "Printed in . . . . . ." I'll try to get scans posted soon. If this (or the 250 008) was issued outside of Japan (which I am sure was the case, because of the 38XP designation) then there would have been no obi. If the 250 008 disc was issued in Japan, then of course, it would have had the obi.

This is very confusing, since most 38XP I have seen have been the West German pressing. I know because I have passed on buying this many times because I could not bring myself to pay $200+ for a gold obi.

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

so essentailly you are psychic? :D

15. drbryant

This is the rear insert. No "printed in japan"

The booklet also has the cat. no. and reads "printed in Japan."

Attached Files:

16. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

So there are 2 different rear inserts for the red Japan Targets. The one you have above and the one listed on Ralph's site (with different catalog numbers as per the discs):
    http://www.ralphscomiccorner.com/cds/ledzep4j.html

drbryant, so your CD is the orangy-red one shown on Ralphs site then?

What is listed on the rear page the front insert? Any copyright/printing info?

17. drbryant

I never looked closely at the pictures on that site. Oddly, this disc is catalogue number 19129-2, but it is NOT orange-red, like the top photo on Ralph's site. It is kind of a pinkish red, just like the bottom photo of the target with the European catalogue number. It could just be a bad scan, but I guess that it is possible that there is also an orange-red target as well!

The inside of the rear page of the booklet has the following information:

"(C) 1971 Atlantic Recording Corporation, Manufactured by CBS/Sony in Japan. 19129-2 (DIDX 10059)"

On the lower left hand corner of the back page of the booklet is the catalogue number 19129-2 (DIDX 10059). Otherwise, it looks identical to the West German Target booklet.

18. erniebert

No. Physic. I'm physic.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

There are people who like to pop other people's balloons. Not me, but apparently some others here.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Since Jay F bumped this thread, I thought I would take an opportunity to post an updated link to Ralph's entry for the Japanese Led Zeppelin "IV" target. The domain name has changed.

http://www.targetcd.com/ledzep4j.html

21. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.