ELP-Brain Salad Surgery 3-CD on Universal/UK in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilCohen, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal/UK is clearly intent on fully exploiting the material they've obtained through their purchase of Sanctuary Music.

They're going to release a 3-CD edition of Emerson,Lake & Palmer's 5th album "Brain Salad Surgery" in November. No info on the contents yet.

And, as with the upcoming "Black Sabbath-Paranoid" 3-CD set, Amazon.com now has the front artwork. Both the Black Sabbath & Emerson,Lake & Palmer sets are packaged in the familiar transparent slipcase, the same as the ones they used on "Deluxe Edition" releases by Elton John, Eric Clapton, ABBA, Cream, Free, Blind Faith, The Moody Blues, Paul Kossoff and many more.

After I have, for so long bemoaned the drop-off in the amount of classic rock archival releases, those of us who hunger for this stuff are going to have our wishes granted, and there will be no shortage of material to buy this fall. Hooray!!

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm just thrilled that at least Brain Salad was released on DVDA at one point.

3. PhilCohen

Update

the IMWAN(ex-ICE Magazine) forum now has the tracklisting. It is not yet specified which takes or mixes are being used, though obviously Disc One has the original album.

Disc Two appears to be a collection of alternate mixes(Sanctuary once accidentally released a CD of "Brain Salad Surgery" with an alternate mix, with different vocals and some different solos). It seems likely that these tracks are being combined with related tracks from "Works Vol. 2"(interestingly, the song "Brain Salad Surgery" appears twice). Years ago, when I spoke to one of the people at Sanctuary, they admitted that those alternate vocals mixes are derived from the surround sound version that Rhino released on DVD-A.

Disc Three contains the entire album sequence(from "Jerusalem" to "Karn Evil Nine:3rd Impression) THREE TIMES!!! Given that the album has a 45 minute playing time, I'm left to wonder what kind of disc could hold the whole album in 3 versions. We'll find out soon!

The IMWAN forum moderator now has info that this release could be sooner than November.

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Same here. That beats any 3 CD set, or even a box set.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well...Amazon has a release date of Sept 30. but that's for an import version. Is there a domestic version expected? Anyway, sounds like quite a bizarre track listing. It seems a bit like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel to get enough material together in order to achieve "definitive" status. How about just sending the master tapes over to Steve? That would do it :edthumbs:

6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Coolness! ELP and Sabbath invade my wallet this FALL! And I mean that in a good way.

7. PhilCohen

Another UK-only release. ELP own their recordings. While they're under license to Sanctuary(hence Universal) in the UK, at last report they were under license to Shout Factory in the U.S.A., hence no U.S.A. release for Universal's 3-CD set.

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I certainly hope they take another run at remastering the basic album, because that Shout Factory remaster was not done well at all. The rest of the series was pretty decent (the ones by Andy Pearce), but Mark Chalecki did BSS for some reason, and it was a huge dip in quality, IMO. Even the cover was improperly cropped :thumbsdn:

9. old school

old school Senior Member

The Black Sabbath 3 cd set of Paranoid said it is a SACD is this true or a Amazon screw up?

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

11. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

It's supposed to be legit. Didn't the actual engineer of the mastering of this Paranoid set post some details of this somewhere?

Since Universal owns Sanctuary, it may very well be the genuine article. IT would be interesting to see how Warner/Rhino handles this in the U.S., if at all.

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Back to BSS...

Huh. Since I have the DVD-A, this is of interest to me if the 3rd disc is interesting. All tracks listed three times? That's either an error or perhaps bits of session takes? That might be amusing, if not good for only one or two listens. I'm really curious to see the full track listing.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

3 CDs?? May be we'll get to finally hear the (rumoured) "alternate" music that Keith composed for "Karn Evil 9". Maybe an unreleased live version of the BSS tracks from '73-'74. Otherwise, I have a hard time imagining what they'll stuff this thing with. As for mastering...

14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Hmmmm. And yet another version of Brain Sald Surgery I will need to purchase. I have the DVD-A, and an older regular CD of it, plus the vinyl. I also have the CD pressing with the 3D cover. I'm interested in what that 3rd disc could be! Maybe it includes the Surround mix from the DVD-A?

Frank R.

15. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

could it be that disc 3 is a SACD hybrid with CD redbook stereo (1), sacd stereo (2) and sacd 5.1 (3) layers?

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is this release SACD?

17. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

that's how it looks to me...! :)

18. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I hope so! :goodie:

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That's how I take it.

20. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

IMWAN rocks.:righton:

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Sure looks like a SACD to me!

Attached Files:

• bss.jpg
      bss.jpg
      File size:
      13.6 KB
      Views:
  22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

How can you tell? Plenty of Deluxe Editions were redbook only.

23. frankzevon

frankzevon New Member

I read a couple years ago in goldmine mag I think that ELP said there was nothing left in the vaults to release so this should be interesting

Maybe its the album then 2 cds of covers by todays AMAZING mainstream music talents who have no idea who Emerson Lake and or Palmer are!

24. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Not to be pedantic, but hybrid SACD's only have two layers -- redbook on one layer, and both SACD mixes on another layer.

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The most recent ones (Moody Blues) were SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.