Kind of Blue 50th - 4CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Looks interesting. Have'nt heard anthing yet about it. It will be on my list for sure if it arrives.

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

hasn't everything from the KOB sessions been issued on the miles/coltrane box set?

later, chris

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No way in hell you can have 4 CDs full of 'Kind of Blue' sessions material. Its either a typo or a collection of live stuff related to Kind of Blue.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The studio sessions; yeah. But maybe this'll be like the 2CD 'Round About Midnight' and add live sets.

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, I thought with release of the On the Corner box set, they had pretty well cleaned out the Columbia vault and that we would not be seeing any more Mile Davis box sets. Well, I'll be interested to see if they come up with anything new/previously unreleased here.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

There's no way there's enough studio material to fill four discs.

My guess is that they'll include frequently gray-marketed European concert recordings, some with John Coltrane and some with Sonny Stitt. I have a four-disc set of recordings on the Dragon label, LIVE IN STOCKHOLM 1960 COMPLETE, which is still sold through reputable retailers that don't carry bootlegs.

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Correct. The alternates and breakdowns from the Kind of Blue sessions fit on one 80 minute disc. Studio chatter may extend the running time a bit more.

If there is to be such a release, disc one would have to be the proper album, disc two alternates/breakdowns and discs three and four possibly live performances.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Have they ever released incomplete takes by Miles for any of his studio material?

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Maybe it's a collector's box with the first CD reissue, the SBM remaster, the SACD and the Dualdisc ;)

As the release has only been listed in this danish store (I googled on several variations of "Kind of blue" + "50th anniversary"), it could simply be an error. Usually sites such as Miles Beyond have release info long before the stores.

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Maybe a false start before a master on a compilation (and that's a big maybe because I can't think of any) but nothing actually advertised as such. The KOB alternates/breakdowns have been widely bootlegged so Sony may as well release a deluxe edition which includes everything.

12. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Not if you add the mono mix. :shh:

13. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

What's the going rate for that Dragon set these days? .... $60? $70??

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Are these CD's mastered at 45rpm? :D

15. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I paid about $45 for mine last year, after a 30% discount

16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Probably live stuff. All the studio material, the At the Plaza date, and this title (http://www.emusic.com/album/Miles-Davis-Live-In-1958-59-MP3-Download/11028506.html) fit on three CDs. (The third title is radio broadcasts of various dates, most featuring both Coltrane and Adderley, one date featuring Coltrane with Bill Evans.)

The fourth disc could be the surround mix, a DVD or the Milestones material.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Dualdisc had a 30 minute documentary that was actually quite cool. Cool to see Ed Bradley - plus it made a big deal of having some of miles banter from those sessions.

18. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Also listed in this Scandinavian/EU store http://www.cdon.com/
    It's says the label is Columbia/Legacy.
    But wouldn't the 50th anniversary for KoB be next year?

19. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Another possibility: one disc with the mono mix of the album on it?

(Ah, I see "another side" beat me to it. Great minds... ;) )

20. Very interesting, first time I see it - will keep it on my watch list.

21. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Two CDs.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That's it.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'll be watching this one myself. Kind of Blue is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Ever. It's always on everyones, or any sites, 10 jazz albums of all time. It's simply the best of the very very best.

DVD?? Sounds very interesting!

kenbefound likes this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's a close call between Kind Of Blue and the Doors Greatest Hits/Very Best of as to which has been reissued most often.
    :sigh:

Maybe if Steve Hoffman mastered the set I might consider it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.