Kind of Blue 50th - 4CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Duplicate post?? Sorry - must have been a forum glitch - so instead I am editing it so you don't read the same thing in my post above.

I will probably play the vinyl as soon as I am ready today.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Kind of Blue For Sure

Oh man, as much as I love Kind of Blue (it was my first real introduction to jazz in about 73) I cannot imagine that there is another version of this title that could possibly come out and offer anything of value.

3. MikeT

Well - the entire package is an excellent "collectors item". It might not really offer anything of value to the musical element (although there are a few unreleased in studio snippets not found on other releases on the CD in package).

I pondered whether I needed another KOB version, having multiple versions already, including the SACD... but I went for it. :wave:

4. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Post me when the price comes down to about $35.

5. mikelevenson

mikelevenson New Member

I got this set on Friday and it's absolutely gorgeous and sounds amazing. I mean I can’t believe the whining on this board about oh the disc fell out of the sleeve, I already own the SACD, boo hoo hoo. Give me a break. When is the last time a record got this kind of treatment from any other label never mind a major? This is incredible! I wish I could get a Coltrane record or two this way.

6. MikeT

I just finished listening the Blue Vinyl version included in this set, and it sounded really good. My copy was flat and quiet (with only a slight pop or tick a few times). I suspect that, like other releases in unorthodox packaging, some are "perfect" (as I would call my copy), and others suffer some type of "fate" that is due to, most likely, shipping issues.

7. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Sorry, but I believe that if you buy a product new, it should be in new condition, not scratched because of bad packaging that doesn't properly protect the disc during shipment.

8. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

That's encouraging. I listened again to my copy to make sure I wasn't being overly picky with regard to tics and pops. While the uptempo numbers such as "So What" and "Freddie Freeloader" play without too much audible noise, "Blue in Green" and "Flamenco Sketches" do not. So, my copy has gone back for a replacement with high hopes for a nice quiet slab of vinyl. Otherwise, I still think they did a very nice job with this release and I would welcome the same for other milestone recordings such as "A Love Supreme."

9. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Just a head's up... Borders is having a big sale today with a lot of CDs/DVDs 40% off, including this release.

I picked up a copy for 60.00...the discs and vinyl seem to be in good condition, but I'll have to check it out later.

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Any more on this set? Should I buy it? I have a $25 Amazon card and it is selling for $75 so i can get it for a cool $50. is it worth it? I have the SACD, Legacy remaster, & original Japan for USA CD (not to mention the Miles/Trane box set). Should I bite the bullet?

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I returned my copy, and not for another either. My opinion is save your pennies and get the Classic 45 set, I have yet to hear anything that beats it.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanks, I was enticed by that blue vinyl! I guess I will pass. Maybe Amazon will sell it cheaper someday.

13. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I would agree that the Classic 45 RPM set is as good as it gets. Still, I will be keeping my replacement copy of the 50th Anniversary box, mostly for the book and extras.

I've also recently heard that there is a good chance that Classic will release the 45 RPM set pressed on the new Clarity vinyl.

14. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Second Chance Vinyl Review

Now that I've received a replacement copy, I thought I ought to re-listen to the vinyl. First of all, my replacement copy is much quieter than the first (though still a bit tickier than normal), but certainly nothing unacceptable. One still can't be sure if this is due to the blue vinyl formulation. Now, on to the sound. The record was cut from an analog source, and there is nothing that detracts from that impression. The music flows nicely and definitely does not leave the listener with the disjointed, detatched experience that digital sometimes imparts--in other words, it has that thing sometimes called PRAT. Everything is there--the bass is solid, the piano and horns sound realistic. The presentation of Miles/Chambers in the center, Adderley and Kelly/Evans on the left, Coltrane and Cobb on the right is well represented as with all of the good pressings of this record that I have heard. The only one quibble I have that makes this a very good to excellent pressing rather than outstanding pressing is that the Cobb's cymbals sound a bit too bright and tizzy and lack that last degree of realism found on the very best pressings of this record. All in all, Sony should be commended for hiring an excellent engineer and doing a true analog pressing for this set rather than merely "mailing in" a digital clone on colored vinyl.

15. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Interesting, Wilder & Triana... maybe they used the same DSD remaster from 2006? Which should be the last one they did for the Miles 80th Anniversay Box in Japan (unless this one from the KOB 50th anniversary box is indeed new):

http://www.kind-of-blue.de/bilder/kob/sicp1206_front.jpg
    http://www.kind-of-blue.de/bilder/kob/sicp1206_back.jpg

This version, by the way, sounds quite a lot better than the "regular" Columbia Legacy CD (the Legacy sounds somewhat compressed and harsh to me).

More details here:

Miles Davis - 80th Anniversary - Japan DSD - Remastering Credits
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=147827

:righton:

Nice to learn they might actually have used the best modern remaster of KOB in the anniversary box, instead of that Columbia Legacy version that makes my head hurt a bit (like most Miles Legacy CD's).

16. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Such a nice set. One of the best boxes in a while. While the CD's could have been protected better...this set is one of the best in a while. I'm really enjoying it.

:righton:

17. peter

peter Senior Member

I agree 100%. BIG difference between the KOB CD in this gorgeous box set and the 1997 U.S. Legacy edition. I thought the one in the box sounded like the Austrian one I raved about a while back.

FWIW, I think this box set is a bargain. Rasputin's has it for $80.00. It is $105 at Amoeba.

18. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I was able to get it for $71.49 at Amazon...with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Annivers...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226191359&sr=8-2

19. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Good idea.
    Did just that.
    Went to the local library yesterday - brewed a cup of tea and sat and listened and read- Great.
    (The Wilder reissue)
    I had no idea Bill Evans's Peace Piece inspired Flamenco Sketches.
    Which made me play Peace Piece, which led to playing more Bill and then later back to KOB.
    A jazzy kindy of day.:righton:

20. peter

peter Senior Member

21. Amazon UK has this for a reasonably good price - has anyone ordered from amazon uk and received the set without any difficulties?

Best Wishes
    david

22. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

No-I got mine from HMV online-for the same price-well packaged-all discs etc fine :righton:

23. Thanks
    David

24. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

If I may ask, which box set?

Serg, whom you quoted, is talking about the Sony Japan DSD Complete Miles box set from 2006. Are you talking about the 50th anniversary KoB box set? Or the 2006 DSD Miles box set? If the 50th KoB, can you confirm that the CD is different from the 1997 US CD?

Has anyone else compared CD bits yet? Is this in fact a confirmed new digital mastering?

(Sorry to be so pedantic, but this info has not been posted here yet. . . .)

25. peter

peter Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion. I am referring to the brand new 2008 U.S. Sony blue vinyl/2 cd/dvd w/large book Kind of Blue box set. The cd of the orig. album sounds MUCH better than the the U.S. 1997 Legacy edition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.