LORICRAFT PRC-3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by B-Diddy, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member Thread Starter

I finally broke down and ordered a Loricraft PRC-3 record cleaning machine!!!!!! I saw one in action at CES and it simply trounces ALL others!! Also, it's dead quiet compared to the obnoxious wet / vac models out there. I'm not knocking Nitty Gritty or VPI as those work great and are waaay more affordable, but the PRC-3 is just awesome! Check it out here www.smartdev.com/loricraft.html :goodie:

Attached Files:

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Does it do a better job cleaning compared to the VPI or Nitty Gritty? It looks like a better built machine.

3. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I have one. They're nice. Fast & Quiet. Does a great job of cleaning vinyl grooves. I like the fact that the cleaning process leaves the vinyl static free too. It's a neat process to watch it suck up all that fluid leaving the vinyl dry. I've never owned or heard the VPI or NG. But, I do own a vacuum cleaner, and if the VPI & NG sound like that I'm glad I got the PRC3. The Loricraft sounds like a fish tank aerator motor when it's running.

4. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

I talked on the phone with the disc doctor for over half an hour. Really nice guy!

He said that they were having problems because the Loricraft cleaned the grooves out so well that there was no surficant left at all from the soap, unlike any other RCM. Then when people put on a rinse cycle, there wasn't a little bit of surficant to help the water get into the grooves and so it wasn't being properly rinsed. The solution, they found, was to put a drop or two of the disc doctor solution in a full gallon of the cleaning water. This allowed there to be some surficant so the water could get in the grooves, but not enough to leave any sort of noticable or meaningful residue.

5. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

If I was the disc doctor, that would be my solution as well... I might up it to 3-5 drops though... :laugh:

6. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member Thread Starter

The VPI and Nitty Gritty are nice, affordable machines, but LOUD! They also re-contaminate to a degree. The VPI has a turntable that once you clean one side and flip it over, the clean side now sits on a cork platter that has seen a bunch of filthy records. Both VPI and Nitty have a felt pad that either sits on a suction tube or covers the vacuum hole so your records don't get mangled. Those get nasty over time and can mildew. The Loricraft has a small string that you pull 1/4" out every time you clean a record that acts like a barrier / buffer. Ever play with a vacuum cleaner? Right before it sucks onto your hand is the highest pressure. It rotates at 80 rpm. It also costs $2600 and that's their entry level model! So I'm NOT scoffing the VPI and Nitty Gritty! Like everything else, there are always better, more expensive alternatives.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Don't all RCMs suffer from this including the Loricraft? I thnk you need the spendy Double Matrix to solve that issue.

I just replace the arm tube every 6 months...

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I know a store owner (not personally) that did some experiments with using a Nitty Gritty and a Loricraft (he sells both.) He first cleaned a record with the NG and played it. Then he cleaned it again using the Loricraft and there was a noticable improvement.

I think he also demonstated this to some customers and friends (but not me....)

9. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

The Loricraft is an excellent machine, but I suspect that if he reversed the order he would also find that the NG picks up some stuff that the Loricraft doesn't (though I doubt the improvement would be as great as the other order). If you have the time, it is always better to clean a record with at least two different fluids. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

10. John

John Senior Member

I have a VPI, and it works great, but it is LOUD. I wear hearing protection when I use it because I usually run out of the listening room during a session to clean more record store purchases, and then resume the session.

Ive never had a VPI tube mildew, although I clean every used LP with a Discwasher pad and fluid before vacuuming. That way the felt strip stays perfectly clean, last longer too. The Discwasher D3 is the original pad I bought in 1977. Its good as new, and actually works better than the D4 pad I have. Ive cleaned 1000s of LPs with the D3. Some people say its scratches records, but Ive never had the problem.

My friend has a Loricraft, and it is a fine machine. I was thinking of buying one, and wanted to bring mine over his house to do a shootout, but he isnt interested. So I still use the VPI.

11. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

My solution to the cork contamination deal is to have an extra older armwand or my VPI 16.5. Before placing an LP on the cork platter, I vacuum it with my oldest armwand which is only used to sweep the cork platter. This at least keeps dust and particles from attacking the LP, but I guess you can't get all the dirt or contamination this way, but it helps!

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You can also buy a replacement cork mat.

13. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

I picked up my VPI 16.5 used and I did immediately purchase a new one and replace the old cork mat (as well as extra cleaning wands). What I'm saying is I vacuum the cork everytime before I place an LP on it to prevent any transfer of dust or any moveable/suctionable particles. I have a dedicated wand just for vacuuming the cork, the felt on this wand is old and compromised, but works fine for dusting off my current cork platter. The specific wand I use to clean the cork, never contacts an lp. Vacuuming wouldn't help stop the transfer of oils or other chemical contaminents from the cork to an lp.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I don't disagree with this - seems like a good process. I was just pointing out that replacement mats are available.

15. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Congratulations. Great machine.

What is your cleaning routine (type of fluids etc.).

I got the new Loricraft PRC4-DL just before the price increase of April 15th. I have been planning to write a mini review here but have been very busy. I'll report soon.

Enjoy your machine.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Farid, please write up a mini review. I would be very interested in that. :righton:

17. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Man are they jacking the prices up on these! The PRC3 was intro'd at around $1800 a couple years back. I'm glad I got mine at 2 when I did... Jeepers.

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting observation! I will mention that (the reverse order of cleaning machines) the next time I visit the store. Which may not be for quite a while... :sigh:

19. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Working on it with some pictures too.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks! :thumbsup:

21. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

That Loricraft is a beautiful machine.

Wish it were less expensive!

22. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

The newer VPI HW-27 Typhoon is said to be quieter but I have never used/seen/heard one. My HW-16.5 is loud and sounds like a vacuum cleaner so I usually cover my ears and flip the toggle switches with my feet.

23. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Do you have a sound meter? If so, could you please measure for me the sound level (C weighting, slow response) at the normal working distance from the machine then at 1 and 3 meters away.

That is open to anybody who has a VPI or Clearaudio RCM with a sound meter.

Thanks

24. Paul Chang

Farid,

How much was the old price?

25. Paul Chang

I don't have a sound meter. :hide: I definitely should get one. I keept putting off buying one, along with a new RCM. :cry: What sound meter would you recommend? I will report back when I get one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.