LORICRAFT PRC-3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by B-Diddy, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

No, the dollar is weak. They probably haven't increased the prices much. I'm sure at least half the price difference is from the exchange rate. Probably more.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Almost everyone would recommend the older analogue Radio Shack (Tandy) model. The corrections are well known. I bought the later model.

3. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

$3240. The new price is $3725.

4. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Agree. That is what I have.

5. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

So True, our economy is WEAK right now...

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Two are found on Radio Shack's web site. Is the analog model the one to get?

Model: 33-4050 - 7-Range Analog Display Sound Level Meter
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103668
    Model: 33-2055 - Digital-Display Sound-Level Meter
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103667

Attached Files:

7. michael w

michael w New Member

What about a Nitty Gritty + Ratshack 33-2050 analogue meter ?

Model Hybrid 2

Normal 75dB

@1m 74dB

@3m 71dB

8. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Functions & performs wonderfully!! Quiet, excellent suction, cleans 7" vinyl & backed with a 5 year warranty. Much better than my previous NG & VPI units. Never imagined that I'd get so much joy cleaning them filthy records :hurl:

Attached Files:

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

This thread is encouraging me to rethink replacing my Nitty Gritty. It's served me well, did not contaminate the clean side of an lp but is very loud, and totally manual.

I have accumulated literally hundreds of filthy lp's over the last few years of buying - and the idea of cleaning each and every one on the wonderful, but slow and noisy Nitty Gritty is quite daunting.

So, I'm wondering:
    How "manual" is the Loricraft? I assume the scrubbing step is just as manual as the Nitty Gritty.

How much time, on average, to clean one side?

10. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I have an older version of the analog one (still looks the same except for very minor cosmetic change). Both digital and analog would do the job. I like VU meters.

11. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Loricraft video demonstration...

The platter spins at 80rpm for faster cleaning and has no problems with warped records, whereas the NG & VPI units did because of their wand design. Click below for an on-line demonstration...
    http://www.smartdev.com/cleaning.html

12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Do what I do with my VPI 16.5.....use TWO cork mats....clean the first side with the cork that is attached to the platter, then lift the record and place a spare cork mat on top of the first and clean the second side. This way your nice clean side is never getting the grunge. Works like a champ. :thumbsup:

13. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member Thread Starter

Just got it in.... Oh MY GAWD! Awesome! Records are so insanely clean, like new... better than new!

bd

14. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Congratulations. You made an excellent choice. Let us know your cleaning method and type of fluids you are using.

15. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

With the VPI- simply use a can of compressed air to clean off the cork platter between sides. I have never had a felt strip get nasty on me either. I do clean them periodically and let them air dry though. As far as noise- I listen to ROCK N ROLL- I can take it! The Loricraft does look sweet though:wave:

16. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

A used Radio Shack Realistic 33-2050 that I bought on eBay arrived today. My VPI HW-16.5 in operation is measured at 90 dB about 2 feet away from the spindle. That is the distance from the spindle to my ears as I sit in front of the RCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.