Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

So the remaster and box set have remixes right? What about the original US Columbia 2-cd set with the purple border on the cover? Does that have the LP mix?

Thanks!

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yes, original mix on the original Columbia 2-CD set in all its murk and sludge glory.

Yes, the BB box and the current 2-CD edition (with "Feio" bonus) are remixes.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, but a strange copy, sounding much worse than the vinyl (as is often noted) and having some variances - Pharoah's Dance has the mystery extra four seconds around 8:30 (which also may have appeared on some non-U.S. vinyl pressings) but ends about 30 seconds sooner than the vinyl.

4. yesstiles

So even though the original US is the orignal mix, it sounds crappy and the Japan original is much better sounding for the LP mix?

5. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Hello,

Stay away from the remixes of 'Bitches Brew'...the remixes should be renamed "Butchered Brew".

Larry

6. yesstiles

Oh boy, so I should stay with the old US Columbia I have then?

7. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

kozmik, I'm listening to the box right now!

8. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

oh yes, I would hold on to that one...

larry

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

That's what I have and I like it despite it's criticism.

Anthony

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I tried to like this album, but just couldn't quite "get it"; anyone else have this experience with "Bitches Brew"? (ie. you want to like it 'cause you know you should, BUT...):confused:

11. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I've only heard the remix. I love the album. Not always in the mood for it, but when I am...oh boy it's good. Makes me feel insane.

I should look for an original LP...

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That's me!!!!

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, the Japan SBM release is a good transfer of the original mix. Otherwise, try to find the LP.

14. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

After doing some detailed searching on the forum last year, I determined that the "forum favorite" CD issue of the original mix of Bitches Brew is the first Japanese Master Sound from '96, catalog number SRCS 9118-9. This was issued as a mini-LP and featured 20-bit SBM.

Needless to say, I found a copy and it does, indeed, sound excellent! Definitely a different listening experience than the remixed version. I've never heard an original vinyl pressing, however, though I recall others saying that the original vinyl was decent, but not spectacular.

15. Pure heresy. I'm very familiar with both versions, and this is a rare case where the remix is vastly superior - to my ears.

16. yesstiles

So the best cd version never came in a jewel case?

17. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

:thumbsup:

18. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

It's taken me about 8 years of listening to this album on-and-off to finally 'get it.' I was exposed to Agharta/Pangaea, Get Up With It, In A Silent Way and Jack Johnson before BB, and it just seemed a bit... wanky.

What did it for me was seeing the film Collateral in the cinema, and hearing Spanish Key at incredible volume in surround sound. Then I heard the Japanese Mastersound already mentioned here, which to my ears anyway, sounds warmer, and due to less clear instrument separation, sounds more like a 'brew' (the Legacy version sounds too clean for me, and more difficult to process).

In the scheme of things though, I always preferred Live-Evil to BB, and will take any other studio recording from '69-'78 over it if I had to pick.

lrpm likes this.
  19. Larry,
    enjoyed surfing your site ... cheers Oliver :righton:

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'd like to give the remix a try as I have the original and it sounds like sonic oatmeal.

21. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Hey, nice avatar, Larry! Only place you find those now is on eBay. :cool: ;)

Have you heard the 'BB' JSACD? Any good? Just wondering because that's one I haven't sampled yet. Been listeneing to the '06 DSD JPN release (SICP-1220) which is pretty darn nice in the sonics dept.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The original Japanese 50DP set is another good version, but I have not gotten around to comparing it to my Japanese SRCS MasterSound issue. Has anyone done that comparison? I don't recall it being discussed here before.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

What about the Japanese SHM from DSD?

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I had the original Columbia 2 disk at one time. God it sounded like it was recorded underwater. VERY murky.

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Exactly my feelings. So is the remix a lot better? I don't care about any historical accuracy. I just want it to sound a bit better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.