Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

After hearing the Columbia Jazz Masterpiece CD, I figured this was one overrated album not worth listening to (bad sound quality, boring musically). I stumbled onto the old double LP and was surprised at the clarity, detail & open space between instruments. I felt immersed in it and think I got it. I think it's a pretty cool album now.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

My Austria DADC Columbia cd has a different mastering than the original US Columbia.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What is the catalog number? I have the original Japan-for-Europe pressing with catalog number CDCBS 66236. To my ears, the Japanese 50DP set sounds better, but I have not compared them in EAC.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Those are not fakes. Considerably less expensive at $49+?? I paid in the $30's each for my two copies - one single layer, one hybrid. YMMV

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, $49 is less than $80. Or $77 on Amazon. Where and when did you buy the hybrid?

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I bought my Japanese single layer SACD about a year ago for $45.

8. therockman

9. therockman

Wow, I did not know that the price of this item had gone up so much. My copy is a single layer, SIGP 20-21. I bought it new from Acoustic Sounds a little over a year ago and I paid about $45 delivered to the house. My thought on this item is that it is a wonderful mastering and a beautiful sounding version, I highly recommend it. But the prices that were linked to above are crazy prices. Wait for a second hand one.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Anyone knows if the 180gr Legacy LP reissue uses the original mix?

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Bump.......

12. yesstiles

Did you ever compare them Keith?

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions (C4K 90924) CDs to the JSACD (SICP-10089 )? I am going to order the In a Silent Way JSACD (SICP-10088) from cdjapan so I thought I would order both at the same time. But I might reconsider if the SQ of the CDs in the box set is close to that of the JSACD. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this :).

Bill

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Greg,

Thanks for your thoughts :). I'll most likely order it from cdjapan as they have it for $48.26. I'm going to order In a Silent Way as well which brings the total to $81.28 (6400 yen). cdjapan is offering a 1000 points (roughly $12.00) when you spend over 5000 yen till 12/31/11. So even though shipping will be around $10.00 cdjapan currently has the lowest prices I have seen for these two Miles SACDs.

Bill

16. therockman

Well I just listened to the Japanese only SACD of Bitches Brew on my new Oppo BDP-95, and it sounded sublime. The sound was so rich and organic that I just sat back and melted into the couch. :cool:

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I can't comment about the Oppo part, but I agree that this SACD is excellent.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Both the hybrid and non-hybrid SACDs sound pretty darned good.

19. yesstiles

CSCS vs 50DP

20. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Can anybody confirm that all post 1998 redbook releases of Bitches Brew are the remixed version? Back in the 1990s, I listened to the widely available CD set (pretty sure it was the purple border Columbia Jazz Masterpieces) and found it pretty murky.

Among the more recent commonly available in-print issues on CD, it seems there was a release in 1999 and another one in 2010, but I'm wondering if they are the same mastering/mix.

I'm sure the JSACD is wonderful but its going for over $60 on Amazon and I am not nearly in love with this album enough to fork over that kind of money for it...

21. Lonson

The JSACD is the remix. The Bitches Brew in the Complete Columbia Album Collection is the original mix.

22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

All post 1998 redbook releases are the remix except for the version in the Complete Columbia Albums box set. The JSACD is also the remix.

I would get the Jpn Mastersound CD if you want the original mix. It sounds great IMO.

23. Lonson

24. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

OK, I can't SWEAR to this, but I think SRCS 9714/5 is the remix. I believe this for two reasons: 1) I don't see them going back to the original mix so soon after the remix was done, and 2) it includes the bonus track. It doesn't seem likely to me that they'd tack that on to a reissue of the original mix.

I can't really explain why the previous SRCS 9118/9 catalog number is given, though I'm guessing it's just for cross-reference purposes across that whole listing of titles, and might mean nothing in specific regards to BB.

Agreed, and I probably even posted about it. I'm just too lazy to check through the whole thread to see. :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.