Analogue Productions 45 RPM Blue Note Series: Starting Shipping March 13, 2008! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Voltron, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voltron

Voltron Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just signed up today and Leesa confirmed that the first two titles -- Jackie McLean, Capuchin Swing and Dexter Gordon, Dexter Calling will be shipping tomorrow! They did not do gate-fold covers, which is too bad, although I never had any problems with the Fantasy 45 series other than stuffing those discs back in there. :eek:

Anyway, just excited this is happening so I can add two new BN 45s every couple of weeks with the Music Matters subscription as well. :cheers:

2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Yep----that's going to be a lot of listening (critical ) that your going to be doing each month.:righton:

3. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Yep start shipping tomorrow! :righton:

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

TOTALLY AWESOME! Man, between these and the Music Matters series, I am awash in Blue Note - and it suits me just fine! :goodie:

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I love that Dexter album, but I've never heard that Jackie McLean...any thoughts?

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Remember I am a newbie to jazz ( but I like to talk about this stuff :D ) . But the thing that sticks out to me about his playing is he has this brighter or kind of more pinched tone and he plays slightly off key- a bit sharp at times.

My description sounds kind of bad but it really is cool sounding.Give a listen to it my description probably isnt the best.But that's what I hear.To me he is the opposite of Art Pepper.I think the drums sound rhythmically cool on this album.

7. Voltron

Not up to speed on Jackie, but I listened to Capuchin today on Rhapsody and it is swingin'. I really enjoyed the sound and look forward to hearing the real deal on Hoffmanized vinyl! :nauga:

8. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I should clarify: I've heard lots of Jackie McLean--I love Jackie McLean--just haven't heard that album.

....carry on.

9. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I thought that was strange coming from you. But, hey, it gave me a chance to let my Jazz prowess shine a little :laugh:

What was it like the first time you heard him and what album did you hear?Did it take you time to get use to his tone and such?

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a $50 LP if I wasn't sure I liked the music. You can get the RVG CD reissue for $8 and then decide for yourself.

All these Blue Note sessions are classics but even as a jazz fan I don't have all of them, because some are less interesting to me.

If you only want one Jackie McLean record on 45rpm, then you'll better wait for "Let Freedom Ring" or later albums to be released, because they are more individual and essential.

On the other hand, from a hifi perspective, RVG's recordings from 1957-61 are the best sounding ones IMHO.

11. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Well, if you have good reason to think that you'll like most of the music in the series, then I think it makes sense to subscribe, since they cover the shipping cost for you. ANd if you don't like it after a listen or two, you are quite likely to be able to sell it here at a $5 or maybe $10 loss. That will be more than made up for with the money you'll save on shipping the other titles.

Subscribing to the Music Matters makes less sense, since they still charge for shipping. I am doing so because I like the company and am fairly confident I'll like all the music, but it does not make as much sense.

12. Me lovin' these 45rpm reissues and common sense about shipping went out the window along time ago :sigh:

I just pop one on the TT and pure bliss kinda takes over

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Let Freedom Ring is a smokin' album. His blowing on the 1st track "blows" me away!

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And, if nothing else, every one of these lp's will end up being a pretty good investment. 2-3 years down the line you should start to see some pretty hefty appreciation if you decide to sell. I'm not necessarily encouraging just buying them for that reason, but I would say it's not a bad safety net if you don't like a particular title.

15. Voltron

True, true. Not sure how I could not like any of these. I did not subscribe to the Fantasy 45 series, which was more diverse and mixed as far as my tastes.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Looks like my order is going out today.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

McLean's intonation is my only problem with his albums. I own several of his albums, but not this one and I find that for me he's on an album by album decision for me. Sometimes it depends on who's on the album with him, sometimes it's the material or mood or all the above. He's a great musician and the real deal, but my perfect pitch brain is always trying to bend his notes when I'm listening to him solo.

To be clear, I have not actively chosen to not buy Capuchin Swing for any reason. I haven't heard it. I have only recently begun buying a few of his albums again after a moratorium of over ten years. I finally realised that I was missing some great music by avoiding his albums completely and I'm picking very carefully through his discography. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this album too as it's also available as an RVG Remaster.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I tend to agree with you on this one. I love Jackie, but would not get all of his albums...

19. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I would. Jackie rules and made some very interesting music. Probably my fav on sax outside of Rollins or Coltrane.

20. Voltron

Actually, I think the appreciation will happen a LOT faster. Acoustic Sounds has increased the retail prices on Fantasy 45s to $75, $100, and $150 as their stock dwindled. I don't like that move, but it reflects the fact that re-sale was going on and so forth. I think these BN titles will be more sought-after, so AS is likely to raise prices and their value is likely to go up similarly.

21. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to Capuchin Swing. I was just listening to it today (the RVG edition) to refamiliarize myself before the vinyl arrives...

:righton:

22. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

If I could only have one Jackie Mclean title in my collection, 'Capuchin Swing' would be it -- period. That said, I pre-ordered 'Bluesnik' and will not be picking up the 'Capuchin Swing' .....unless, that is, I suddenly flip out and decide to ditch a gorgeous W. 63rd Mono. :unhunh:

23. alanb

alanb Senior Member

? if you dig it that much wouldn't you want what will arguably the best version of it EVER?

i know i would

24. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I can't wait to hear these! :thumbsup:

25. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Music Matters + Analogue Productions Blue Notes: An embarrassment of riches!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.