Analogue Productions 45 RPM Blue Note Series: Starting Shipping March 13, 2008! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Voltron, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

So, to recap here.....the only problems to date with these 45ers have been with AP, not MM?

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

You know, for some reason they had to repress Red Garland's Groovy.:confused:

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You are a better man than I. Like I said the 10 or so that I want from both series I will get the rest they can keep.

Sorry Steve you and Kevin did a great job but RTI didn't follow through

Wrong, as I said my MM Lou Donaldson had to go back.

My friend got his AP set yesterday and he reports that both records were perfect BUT that one of the labels came off. (now that's a new one)

4. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

I think with all of the reported issues here and individuals e-mailing both RTI and AS we deserve a direct answer from Chad or someone at RTI.
    Just to give them an idea of the impact to their bottom line, this thread caused AS and MM to lose TWO complete subscriptions. A friend and I were both on the fence and about to subscribe to both series until I wandered onto this thread. For now it's not going to happen. I might buy a few of the MM issues from Elusive Disc but that's it.
    Sorry guys.

Andrew

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The labels are pressed into the vinyl. How the heck did it come off? That's wild!

Which record was it?

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's the exact same thing I have on mine. Like I said, I think it's on one of the pressing parts.

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I opened up and did some sample listening to both CAPUCHIN SWING and DEXTER CALLING...my copies look (and sound) great. On both there is one spot on one side of one record that looks like a little imperfection - similar to what's being described above, but not nearly as "bad" looking as the defect shown in the photo posted earlier - but (and here's the key) it does not cause any audible problems during playback on my copy. No pops, ticks, distortion, etc, the record plays right through those spots without a problem. And btw the surfaces on both records are DEAD quiet.

Also the outer jackets on my copies are as perfect as can possibly be.

So I'm not sure if this is a matter of production inconsistency, and/or if some of the concerns at least simply reflect differences in tolerance for flaws...I personally don't see any big deal at all with slight blemishes in the appearance of the vinyl if it plays perfectly.

8. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I agree. I don't care what the vinyl looks like--and that includes warps, scuffs, bubbles, etc.--as long as it's not audible. And I'll even overlook minor (i.e., not distracting or overpowering) ticks and pops.
    I only return a record if it doesn't sound up to par. However, the bar of acceptability is a bit higher for a $50 record.

9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Go through them very carefully...you would not believe how many returns I had to do with the Fantasy 45 series as well as others from AS, and now here we go again with the Blue Notes. It is a bit early to say definitively, but so far not a single problem with the 45s from MM, and damage found right from the start with Acoustic Sounds Blue Notes, frustrating to say the least.

10. alanb

alanb Senior Member

YIKES- if i were shipping/posting 2 expensive, high quality vinyl albums to AUSTRALIA-- i think i would check they are ok before i packaged them up to go.
    I just do not understand why nobody is doing this (or seems to be)?
    Seems rudimentary to me---have someone visually inspect both sides of every record wearing protective gloves under a light, for flaws/imperfections/scratches/labels etc.

If i wasn't so damn busy i'd volunteer.

11. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

Of the MM series I had to return one side for some goo/scuff

I just received the AS and found on one side of Dexter a light scratch. I haven't played it yet so no info on noise from it.

Of possibly more concern is one side of Jackie has a large amount of heavy goo in the final minute or so. It is like wads of it and huge mountains in the runout. No way I'm playing or keeping this one- I'm not even going to attempt to vpi clean it either. I hope this isn't a portent of things to come.

RW

12. alanb

alanb Senior Member

From Dr.J

So I'm not sure if this is a matter of production inconsistency, and/or if some of the concerns at least simply reflect differences in tolerance for flaws.

I think it must be bad handling/packaging as they rush to get these out--i think the plant is super busy --what with these and MM's Blue Notes and all the other stuff they do.

..I personally don't see any big deal at all with slight blemishes in the appearance of the vinyl if it plays perfectly.
    Nor should you--if it has a few visual blemishes but NO effect on the sound i am pretty sure most here would be okay with that-- i know i would---

BUT people are reporting-
    2 of the same record in 1 sleeve (this i consider unforgiveable)
    Bad scratches
    Bent covers
    Labels falling off
    Audible/visual gouges/scratches.

13. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

I have to say this is pretty bad news. I hope we see some real customer service here. They should pay for you to return the record, send a replacement ASAP, and explain what steps they are taking to control quality. Someone should point them to this thread -- I'm sure it is really hurting their business.

14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I'd bet they're already painfully aware of this thread.
    While I hate getting defective LPs as much as anyone, I'm willing to cut everyone involved some patient slack for a bit. It will probably take a lot of time to find out exactly what went wrong and then decide what they can do and then formulate an adequate response. That could take a lot of time.
    I sure don't envy anyone in the record pressing or distributing business these days.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Here some problems reported on the AP Fantasy series. Not all are pressing defects.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=130957&page=5

Quite many of the discs I received have some superficial marks or scratches, but these are inaudible.

16. Voltron

Voltron Member Thread Starter

Agreed on all counts. :agree: It certainly is not in our best interests as vinyl enthusiasts to pull out the pitchforks and torches just yet. I don't blame anyone at all for being upset, but I think scotto hit the nail on the head here. Make the dissatisfaction known, have some patience, and let's hope RTI and AS can make the necessary changes. I have had excellent customer service from AS and expect they will do the same to take care of people here.

One suggestion for those outside the U.S. in particular: see if you can document the damage by photo and have them simply ship you replacement vinyl without the covers, etc., so that neither party has to pay shipping charges to send worthless discs through the mail. Just a thought.

17. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I agree. I realize things can and do go wrong.

I also believe that a premium title/pressing that commands a premium price will be examined closely and held to a very high standard and should have QC to match. The premise of these pressings is that they are the best yet to date, and the closest thing to the masters many of us will likely be able to buy as consumers.

As a small businessman, I also know firsthand how truly difficult is is to hire and retain employees that care about the product as much as we wish them to. Just having them show up for work every day is a victory it seems.

Cheers,

RWillingtocutsomeslackfornowanyway

18. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

This is what I just can't comprehend. You'd think that after decade upon decade of various tinkering, improved technology, etc.. the spitting out of perfect, clean copies on a large (not mammoth) scale would be falling out of bed simple.

btw, not to pry......but any reason you won't at least attempt a cleaning with a VPI? Isn't that why you own one? I don't have a cleaner so I'd be forced to stick it under the shower spout or so :) ....but if I did, I'd use it.

19. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I use the VPI for the many used vinyl I come into. I think it is perfect for that. I could be wrong, but my impression is that on what should be a new pristine pressing, I'd rather not need to clean it as I feel more harm than good comes from it in this case.

RW

20. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I received mine in yesterday and looked at both under a light. they look good. I listened to sides 1 and 2 of Dexter and have no probs to report. It sounds amazing!!!! Don't like stuffing 2 LP's into one jacket, though. The Music Matters gatefold jackets are the way to go. Especially now that they have their issues worked out.

21. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

I just got off the phone with AS, left a voicemail for "Chewy" the head of returns. The person I spoke with told me (sorry, didn't get his name) that they've been on the phone with RTI pretty much non-stop. They have gotten a lot of calls, etc and are well aware that people are not happy. They're hoping to make some kind of mass decision/announcement on how these problems are going to be handled as soon as possible.

On a positive note, I've listened to all 8 sides twice now and aside from maybe a handful of minor pops here & there, I'm happy with the vinyl. The covers are another story....

22. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I'll tell you something...if it wasn't for Chewy at Acoustic Sounds I would have quit buying from them long ago with all the vinyl I have had to return. Lets hope that RTI is finally going to be feeling the heat.

23. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

That was a speed issue. Apparently they had an electrical failure during the cutting or something to that effect for a split second which caused a pitch problem.

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well, that's good news.

On a positive note, maybe if we catch this early on in the game the rest of the series will go much smoother. Like I said earlier I am not mad at anyone or want to lop heads over this I just want things fixed so I can enjoy the hard work the boss put into these.

In a weird way I hope RTI understands we are a part of the team. That is, how do they know if there is a problem unless they are made aware of it.

If all goes well maybe some will get back on board that are dissatisfied.

I feel for RTI in a way. They must be overwhelmed.

25. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I called Acoustic Sounds today and they will have "Chewy" call me tomorrow to arrange for exchanging the defective LPs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.