Upcoming Metallica vinyl from MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwf, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwf

kwf Forum Resident Thread Starter

via blabbermouth

METALLICA Vinyl Reissues Coming Soon - Mar. 6, 2008

METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"While we're finishing up the new album, we told the dudes at the record company we thought it might be cool to dust off the old tapes and get all retro with some vinyl re-releases... First up are the first two albums (duh!?), 'Kill 'Em All' and 'Ride the Lightning', coming out on April 15 in North America and pretty ****ing close to that in the rest of the world.

"There will be two versions...one like the original on a single disc spinning at 33 1/3, the other a two disc, 180-gram vinyl, 45 rpm package all in a double gatefold. The music was half speed mastered from the original analog tapes at Mobile Fidelity to bring you audiophile quality. Both versions will be available in the online store here and over at MetClub.

"Oh, and in case you were wondering, 'Master' and 'Justice' will obviously be next and should be coming out on vinyl in June."

2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

WOW, if they're done well, I'd almost buy a turntable for those..

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

HOLY COW!

Talk about perfect timing. I get my TT in two weeks :love:

Thanks so much for that info, I had not seen it yet. You may even want the thread title changed to "New Metallica vinyl coming from MOFI" or something so it gets more attention.

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Great, after I drop $99 on the Rhino Vinyl Box! Honestly, the art on those reissues was never right. they almost looked like digital scans. I've seen plenty of Metallica vinyl - and own a Megaforce Kill Em All - and they just never looked right. And the labels were pretty generic too if I remember (don't feel like digging out the box right now). They sounded OK though.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Hmmm... as much as these guys annoy me these days, I might actually pick up one or two of them in the 45 RPM format. Would be nice to hear metal sound good on vinyl for once (my recollection was that it always sounded too distorted, though I didn't exactly have a decent TT in the '80s).

6. nin

nin Forum Resident

Wow, this will be very intresting. I have tried to find the Rhino boxset at a normal price but haven't found it. I wonder if they can beat the original Megaforce vinyl of Kill ém All?

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I still have the early albums on cassette somewhere. I haven't heard early Metallica in years. This vinyl reissue program sounds very intriguing!

8. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have the Rhino Box and they sound great but I will not be able to resist these when they come out

9. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Whoa, I didn't see this coming. I wonder how much they'll be? I definitely want to 'buy em all' :eek:

10. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Another blow to the old wallet... I can't ever seem to save... :sigh:

11. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm happy with the Megaforce Kill 'em All CD and the DCCs - I wonder how this vinyl will compare.

12. serge

serge Forum Resident

Kill them all is one of my favorite albums.. even I might have to buy one of these...

13. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Musicdirect has pricing up: 16.99 for regular vinyl, 29.99 for 45rpm double 180gm. (Honestly, that could have been much worse.)

Sigh.....it's only money.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, not too bad. I will pre-order the double 180g.

So, how has the MFSL vinyl been lately, mastering-wise? Does Shawn Britton do the LPs?

15. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

I don't even have a turntable yet, but I'm going to buy at least one of the albums in 45rpm.

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Everyone that I have purchased over the past year has been great. Shawn Britton does do the LPs, but it is quite possible with Rob LoVerde on board he could do them also.

17. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Hopefully, someone can work some magic and bring out the bass guitar on And Justcie For All...

18. MikeT

I pre-ordered both LPs (2x45rpm versions) from Music Direct. I have the Rhino box, but I will get these also as they come out.

19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That'd surely take a remix, and I'd bet it would sell even better if they did remix it. But of course there's no way in hell they'll ever do that, especially with Newsted long gone.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cool, I like what both of those guys do :thumbsup:

21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, tell them that Mustaine is one upping them, because he remixed the Megadeth reissues first.

22. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Thumbs up, Metallica! Great news!

And I am seeing them live in July :goodie:

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I checked out their web site. More titles coming in June.

24. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Wow.. I'm surprised anyone in the Metallica camp has even heard of Mobile Fidelity.

Too bad Steve and Kevin never got the chance to take a crack at these releases.

25. MikeT

Well Steve did do the DCC Gold CDs of Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning - so in a sense he did take a crack at some of them (but not on vinyl).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.