Upcoming Metallica vinyl from MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwf, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks!

I wonder how many will be pressed being that these 45 RPM LPs are Limited Editions?

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

A Stroll Down Memory Lane...

I took the plunge and bought the 45 rpm Ride the Lightning today...:righton: can't wait till the morning to crank it up and rock the casa...:shh:

3. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I would guess these will be limited to how many they can sell... :laugh:

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have the Megaforce CD too. In truth, it's not all that different from the unremastered Elektra version. We are lucky to have good sounding pickings easily available for this title. Since the early CD versions are rather "unfutzed with", the LP improves upon the sound, but marginally. That's not a knock on the new LP, rather a testament to the unremastered CD versions. If you have a good vinyl rig, or simply prefer the LP experience, then these are for you :agree:

I speak this as a die-hard Metallica fan and collector. I have literally hundreds of Metallica recordings, on a variety of formats. Obviously, sound quality takes a high priority with me. These new LPs set the bar absurdly high. I look forward to the "later" Metallica albums, as they'll benefit the most from this treatment. It is doubtful we'll get the genuine Garage Days Re-Revisited $5.98 EP as part of this reissue series, but I'm crossing my fingers.

5. nin

nin Forum Resident

The Elektra CD not all that different? I have listen to a MP3 of the Elektra CD and I have the Elektra vinyl (1988 I think) and both are VERY bright and the Megaforce vinyl I have, is much better IMO.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The Megaforce CD, LP and Elektra (unremastered) CD all sound acceptable to me. You should have no concerns with the new 45rpm release as "bright".

7. MoFiFool

MoFiFool Forum Resident

Received my Metallica 45 rpm Lps today (Kill em all and ride the lightning). I will play then tomorrow and put forward an opinion for what its worth. High hopes!!

8. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

The Megaforce CD beats the Elektra CD by a mile, IMO.

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Has anyone compared the 33 1/3 reissues to the 45s?

10. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I can't wait for Puppets!
    I'm getting that one come what may, and if I like it a lot I'll consider getting the others...

I'm also curious about the sound on Justice...

11. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm tempted to get the 331/3 Kill 'em All, so please report reviews!

I have the DCCs and 24/96 needledrops of the original Elektra vinyls of Lightning and Puppets, so I satisfied with those.

How do these new vinyls (45 or 33 1/3) compare to the old vinyls and DCC CDs?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Last night, I did a quick comparo of RTL 45rpm vs. the DCC. Tonality was similar, but the CD has more "bite" or "crunch". Not objectionable! It's like the LP was just softer sounding, but only in direct comparision to the DCC.

Please keep in mind that I was comparing two totally different formats, via different playback chains, there's a phono stage involved, etc. etc.

Given that all dynamics are intact, vinyl is quiet, and it was mastered/cut by respected engineer Rob LoVerde, you really can't go wrong if you prefer the vinyl experience.

13. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I'll cross my fingers as well. The original Garage Days $5.98 EP is phenomenally fast & furious.

14. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Anyone crazy enough to buy both the 2LP 45 edition and the single LP edition? Curious how they compare and how they compare to the Rhino box. I've barely listened to the Rhino Box, but as nice as the box itself is, the covers have a super-high quality digital scan look to them and the labels on the vinyl are just generic silver with song titles. No Elektra or Megaforce logos, nothing. Not even a Rhino or WB logo either. Kind of lame considering I actually have seen the real deal a million times since the 80s.

15. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I emailed Mobile Fidelity two days ago to ask if they both share the same mastering but I haven't heard back from them yet.

16. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Im curious on if the 33 1/3 is a 180 gram pressing

17. John

John Senior Member

According to this Acoustic Sounds link it does not have the 180g vinyl or gatefold of the 45 RPM version. It doesnt have the $30 price either, so could be a good deal as well.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=45336

18. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

I would also be interested in what the cheaper version sounds like.

19. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Add another set of crossed-fingers to the list. The $5.98 EP has always been my favorite Metallica album. Short, sweet, and relentless.

20. wheatthin

wheatthin Forum Resident

The 33 1/3 of Kill 'Em All is 150 gram vinyl. I have not got a copy of Ride the Lightning yet, but the music direct site showed that Ride the Lightning was 180 gram and did not show that for Kill 'Em All.

I did buy both the 33 1/3 and 45 versions, but I have yet to be able to spin them yet as work has been to busy. I am hoping to listen to them this weekend. I am interested to hear the difference between the two versions. I will post back once I have had a chance to listen to them.

21. John

John Senior Member

Wonder if they are going to do the Black Album on vinyl. Think that one is digital, but Id still get it.

22. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I want them to do Live S**t: Binge & Purge on vinyl. That would be awesome :D

23. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

It came out originally on vinyl...:righton:

plus there was a 12 inch single with that nasty song...;)

:cheers:

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Black Album was recorded (and mixed?) in analog.

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I think it was recorded both analog and digital. Does anyone remember from the documentary that was made of them in the studio?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.