The Mystery of Led Zeppelin- Channel Switching

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ledsox, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member Thread Starter

Has there ever been an explanation for the channel switching on the various masterings of Led Zeppelin's first album?
    While comparing tracks from Mothership to previous releases here's what I found regarding the acoustic guitar intro to "Babe I'm gonna leave you"

Atlantic vinyl 8216- left channel
    Atlantic vinyl 19126- right channel
    Original CD (Diament)- right channel
    Remaster CD (Marino)- left channel
    Classic Vinyl (Grundman?)- right channel
    Mothership CD (Davis)- left channel

I figure this has come up before here but I was wondering how and why this happens. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this and it really doesn't detract from the listening pleasure but it sure is perplexing.
    I figure the masterings with the guitar in the left channel is the way Jimmy intended it which makes the fantastic Classic records and Barry's CD versions backwards.

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Dunno if you knew this already, but the entire original CD of the debut album (Barry Diament mastering) has reversed channels compared to the '94 reissue. I'm wondering about this myself. The only discussion you ever see here concerning reversed channels is about some original issues of IV.

3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

4. Mr Tudball

Mr Tudball New Member

Well you know, if you're going to keep re-releasing the same material over and over you've got to keep it interesting for the fans...
    I suspect it's just like when magazines print photos backwards. Somebody just wasn't paying attention.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Exactly. It should always alternate between left= left to left= right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.