Found in the trash: Technics monster receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

It's an SA-800. Looks pretty weathered like it's been in a garage or basement for a LONG time!

Will it work? My guess not--that's why it was curbside.

Will Dan blow himself up trying to make it work? My guess yes! :p

It looks like this one:

[​IMG]

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I have one from that same series. Unfortunately, I gave it to someone not more qualified to repair it than an orangutan with a soldering iron and thus only 1 channel works now.

Maybe it was thrown out because it isn't "digital ready"?

Good luck!

Dan

3. Dan

We'll see. I almost have myself a hernia trying to get it off the street and into my car as well!

4. xman

xman Active Member

Time to whip out that old screwdriver and open her up. Have some compressed air handy. Blow out the dust let it dry out. Check the fuses, the rear terminals for oxidation (clean as necessary). Also use a sponge (damp not wet) with some dish-washing detergent to clean the exterior. Then you can try plugging it in. Good Luck! :righton:

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I love these things, often found in the street or really cheap because they 'don't work'.

'No Power' has become my favorite label. Usually some kid has yanked on the cord.

I have one of the larger Yamaha ones. Now that's heavy!

6. Dan

Yep. That's going to be my first step.

These things have a huge grill on top to let the unit cool itself, which also lets a ton of junk inside. It doesn't look that bad in there---most of the dust and dirt seems to be confined to the cabinet.

7. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

That was next to top of the line in that series. The TOTL was the nearly mythical SA-1000, the most powerful receiver ever made at 330 watts RMS per channel. I don't remember what the SA-800 was rated at, but I'm thinking something like 160 wpc?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Tell us if it really works.

9. Dan

It still has the original sticker on the tuner glass that advertises it as "125 wpc". I found somewhere else that the original MSRP was $800. Wow.

10. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

That was my dream receiver in 1978! i remember hearing it at Harmony Hut playing Pyramid by Alan Parsons. It sounded magical back then!

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

Before you power it up make sure you have a load on it. ie speakers or headphones.

12. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

good luck! my current technics turntable was "dumpstered", and all it needed was a new stylus :righton:

13. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I had that one. A mighty beast.
    It weighs 87 lbs!
    Here's a pic of mine..

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

beautiful :righton:

15. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Awesome score Dan!

Even if it needs repair the cost would probably be nominal (and worth it). I'd clean the pots and switches regardless.

16. loomis

loomis Forum Resident

I have a broken 800 maybe for parts. Email me. luffliffloaf@gmail

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Jeez, I just told my wife last night...."why can't I be lucky like these people that find old stereo equipment in the garbage!!" :)
    Nice score!

The sales manager here found a pair of Paradigm 5se's in the garbage!:shake:

18. Dan

We'll see. I'll try to get a picture up "as-is" soon.

19. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Crooner, I remember reading some of your progress restoring the SA-1000 over on Audiokarma. Yours is the only SA-1000 I have seen photographed in detail.

In the past I have owned an SA-500, and currently own an SA-600 (tuner is dead) and SA-600A (the graphite grey Euro version). I don't use them for anything, except to look at occasionally. LOL

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

:yikes:

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A friend of mine has this exact model (no manual) and it's a very powerful integrated, pretty impressive sonics.

However, it DID blink out twice when he used it one year.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know. He lives in a ritzy area. Maybe the guy bought a Bose system!:D

23. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

:laugh:

24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have an SA-300 still in service. I switch between it and a much more powerful modern Yamaha receiver, depending on my mood. The SA-300 is a great, warm sounding receiver, but it lacks some dynamics since it is only 35 wpc. I find it interesting how different these two receivers sound and I will look forward to seeing what you think if you get this beast up and running. It just might become your amplification of choice.

25. Jay Casey

Jay Casey New Member

Not necessary for solid state receivers, only for tube amps. If you do hook up speakers before powering it up, and there is a problem in the unit that causes a large "spike" or DC on the output, you can kiss your speakers goodbye (at least the tweeters).

I have an old amp that I powered up with headphones plugged in to it. I now have one less set of headphones to listen to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.