Found in the trash: Technics monster receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Although it has - what I assume is - bad power supply capacitors, I just can't get rid of my Technics SA-303. One day I'll replace those capacitors. Now, if I can just figure out HOW....

2. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Yeah, I was quite pumped when I got it back in '05. Not very refined sonically, and obviously not for serious listening but it was a lot of fun. Specially when cranked up playing some Pink Floyd!
    I gave it up last year to fund my current Vandersteen speakers.

3. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Yeah! Power it up on cheap, disposable speakers and play it for a while first. I learned the hard way; blew out a woofer in a Spendor SP2/3e with a faulty amp :shake:

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

After reading this thread - some people have all the luck. I guess I am cruising the wrong neighborhoods.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I should take "garbage day" off and cruise around the neighbourhood.....

6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Okay Dan, does it work???:laugh:

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm workin' on it! I'll probably know on Friday---I have the day off and will spend some time on it.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry for the long lapse. I finally had some time to mess with it.

It wasn't as dirty inside as outside on the sides on the cabinet. I set all of the controls to off where applicable, turned the volume down, and turned the speaker switches off and then powered it up.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!! Sort of.......................

All of the lights seem to work and I can get an FM signal, but within seconds of powering the unit up the "safety" light comes on. Is it trying to save it from a spike?

9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask about a different Technics receiver model here. SA160. Any idea when these were made and what they sold for new? Just curious. I didn't find mine in the trash, I got it at the Salvation Army for $6.99. It's at least a temporary replacement for the Sony STR-D565 that stopped working during an LP playback the other day.

10. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

So 2 1/2 years later.... what became of the Technics???

11. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

A kind forum member sent me info about the SA-160. Still off topic if you don't mind: I opened the Sony and saw the glass fuse (5A-125V) was blown. I replaced it and the replacement blew immediately. Does this suggest to anyone what the problem might be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.