Dinosaur Jr. new album, Beyond out May 1st

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leppo, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

The new Dinosaur Jr. album, Beyond will be available on May 1, 2007 in the USA via Fat Possum Records and will be available in Japan on April 18, Germany on April 26 and Europe and the UK on April 30th through PIAS. Beyond will be available on vinyl, more details to be announced. This is the first studio album for the original line-up since the 1988 classic, Bug.

[​IMG]

Beyond track listing:

1) Almost Ready
    2) Crumble
    3) Pick Me Up
    4) Back To Your Heart
    5) This Is All I Came To Do
    6) Been There All The Time
    7) It’s Me
    8) We’re Not Alone
    9) I Got Lost
    10) Lightning Bulb
    11) What If I Knew

You can preview two tracks from the album, "Almost Ready" and "Been There All The Time" here:

http://www.dinosaurjr.com/

http://www.myspace.com/dinosaurjr

Click Here To Pre-Order The Album From Fat Possum Records.

Dinosaur Jr. will release their first ever live concert DVD, titled Live From The Middle East on May 29 in the US, release dates for rest of world TBD.

In support of all this new material, there will be a 2007 Dinosaur Jr. world tour.

2. markl

markl Senior Member

I'll be buying this. :righton:

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Me, too. Fat Possum is based here in my neck of the woods. They do a good job with vinyl releases - the vinyl of the Fiery Furnaces last album, Bitter Tea, featured some of the coolest packaging I have ever seen on an lp.

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Thanks for the info!

5. Leppo

Me three.
    Hey, you're welcome.

6. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

quadruple that....they we're great live a couple years back. probably the loudest show i have ever seen. thank God for toilet paper!

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I saw them in the 80s, and they did indeed put on one of the loudest shows I have ever heard.

8. shrive

shrive Member

i'm liking this Almost Ready song. sounds like the 90s.:agree:

9. markl

markl Senior Member

I saw Jay with the Fog several years back with Mike Watt on bass. I love the guy and hi smusic, but man, the volume he plays at should be (and probably is ) illegal. He can't possibly have any of his hearing left. :shake:

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm surprised that I have any hearing left after seeing Dinosaur Jr. and My Bloody Valentine on the same bill.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have heard this album in its entirety, and, on first listen, it's almost miraculous. It's like they never broke up, and instead recorded the follow-up to Bug the next year. J. Mascis had a funny quote in a recent MOJO to the effect that it's not a good idea for most bands to reunite after a 20-year hiatus, but, somehow, against all odds, Dinosaur Jr. have pulled it off.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

This one moves to the top of my "must purchase" queue then. :righton:

13. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I saw them in 1994, and almost went deaf despite the fact that I was wearing ear plugs (which I've worn to every show I've gone to since my early 20s). My friend left his in the car that night, and I'm worried that's he's deaf now. :shake:

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I listened to this twice last night - it is, quite simply, the greatest comeback/reunion album in rock history. It's like they never went away, but is actually better than You're Living All Over Me and Bug. If there was ever any doubt, J. Mascis cements his status as a guitar hero on this album. There is a jaw-dropping extended solo on the third track that is as over-the-top and insane as that on Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane." Neil and Crazy Horse were always a reference point for Dinosaur Jr., and perhaps the only comparable comeback to this one that I can think of off the top of my head is the one that Neil and the Horse made with "Rockin' in the Free World" and Ragged Glory. If you had any interest in Dinosaur Jr. back in the 80s, you need to hear this record. Hopefully it will do for them what the Pixies renunion tour did for them a few years back.

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

John, given the distate you expressed for grunge over in the R.E.M. thread, I'm surprised you're such a big fan of Dinosaur Jr. I know they pre-date Seattle grunge as we know it, but Dino Jr were certainly one of the forefathers of the grunge sound.

Just for a point of reference, what do you think of the post-Barlow Dinosaur Jr. albums? Are you saying this new one is better than ANYTHING they did, or just better than the Bug-era Dino Jr? I'm getting it no matter what...

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I always saw them as more influenced by Neil Young and Crazy Horse (whom I like) than by Zeppelin, Sabbath, and all of the antecedents of the grunge bands.

I haven't heard all of the post-Barlow Dinosaur Jr. and J. Mascis and the Fog albums. I have heard Green Mind and the Ear Bleeding Country greatest hits album, and I remember alternative "hits" such as "The Post" and "Out There" from when they were released. I pretty much stopped following the band after Bug. Like I said, this album sounds like what the original line-up might have released in 1989 to follow up Bug, except it's even better than Bug.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hey, I got ahold of a copy of this. Upon first listen, I have to say it is really an very good album. I'm not sure I can agree with John that it is better than YLAOM or Bug, but it's quite good. Heck, maybe it is the greatest reunion album in rock history because really, there's not much competition for that title. At any rate, it's good.

Like John I am not that familiar with the post-Lou Dinosaur albums, so I can't really put this into perspective with all Mascis' work. I can say to me it sounds mellower than their classic 80's albums, in the sense that the tempos are a bit slower (there's nothing punk rockish on here) and the soloing seems more proficient and less pure noise-oriented than it was sometimes in the old days. But by "mellow" I don't mean wimpy (although there is one acoustic number). Neil Young's Ragged Glory is an apt comparison, as the record kind of has the same lumbering, jammy feeling as that album did. The songs are also really long... most of them are 4 or 5 minutes long, with one track breaking the six-minute barrier.

My favorites on first listen are Almost Ready, What if I Knew, and the two Lou songs, Back to Your Heart and Lightning Bulb. And it's very cool the album cover uses their classic logo from the first two albums.

18. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Oh man... I WILL DEFINATELY BE BUYING THIS!! the positive reviews above gave me goosebumps! :)

I cant wait to hear the previews when I get home...

I think I might go and post J Mascis in the "most underrated guitarist thread" right now :)

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Looks like there's four songs to preview at Dinosaurjr.com now, BTW.

20. Leppo

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I plan to pick this up (living in the same town as Fat Possum records helps in that regard :p). When I do, I'll report here. For what it's worth, I do have the recent Andrew Bird (also on Fat Possum in the States) album on vinyl, and it's a beautiful 180 gram pressing. I know that Bruce Watson at Fat Possum is a big vinyl aficionado, and they have really done a good job with their recent rock titles on vinyl. The Fiery Furnaces Bitter Tea is another recent release by them that is absolutely beautifully packaged on vinyl.

22. Leppo

Thanks, look forward to your report. I would suspect a nice LP pressing would sound better than the CD. Take a look at "Almost Ready" in EAC:

Attached Files:

23. Leppo

And here's "I Got Lost" which actually sounds quite nice.

Attached Files:

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hmm, this makes me suspicious... below is a screenshot of "Almost Ready" taken from the advance version of the CD which leaked out a few months ago. It seems to have more dynamic range than the just-rreleased version (which I don't have a copy of yet). It appears additional compression was added just prior to release, which is truly a bummer.

Attached Files:

25. Leppo

Yeah, that is a total bummer. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.