Taylor Swift - Speak Now (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

and they all go together as well. What Taylor does is art.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yesterday we were talking about Taylor evolving; today she talked to MTV News about the same subject:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1679271/taylor-swift-safe-and-sound.jhtml

Interesting that she's apparently co-writing again. I wonder if that means more collaborations with the Civil Wars, a return to co-writing with Liz Rose, or collaborations with entirely new people whom we don't yet know about?

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I'm guessing G-Unit or something like that. Seriously. "all different places in music."....

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I highly doubt that. When I saw her in Atlanta last year, though, she did have Usher come out and sing "Yeah", and she rapped the Ludacris part in that song, so I suppose anything is possible.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That's really cool news & i would guess at this point she could call on a lot of people that she admires/Likes & they'd certainly work with her .....
    who knows , amybe we'll get a co-write with Springsteen Or james taylor ? Or maybe certain songwriters from Nashville .......... REALLY looking forward to a new album for sure :righton:

Really dig the new video a lot !

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/our-co...stly-location-video-safe-sound-152330948.html

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Her collaboration with the Civil Wars is great, but I hope she doesn't drag in somebody like Springsteen or James Taylor as a Special Guest Star on the new album. She doesn't need to resort to that.

7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

You are correct. She's better than that.

8. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

FYI - Taylor will be on the Tonight Show tonight.

Might make a no-Jay Leno exception to watch her segment. I don't think she'll be performing though. Just promoting The Lorax.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I hope Jay asks her about her childhood on the Christmas tree farm.

10. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

This this be an interesting show. She has great presence and a sense of humor when doing interviews. Exceptional poise and a very talented young lady!

Carl

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Funny you say that. I just ran across this interview with Taylor today, and these comments from the guy who interviewed her:

She is so smart that she would be a success at anything she chose to do.

12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

At this point i believe if she did drag someone in like springsteen of james taylor , it would be "right" & it would be done as it worked within whatever the album is ..... she would'nt just jump in & do it to have the "name" on it , If that Makes any sense ......

Amazing she's gonna take The kid who wanted her to go to prom with him to the ACM awards .. what a really nice thing for her to do .

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-02-24/taylor-swift-date/53231956/1

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Another ho-hum week for our heroine: The Lorax does $70 million at the box office, and Taylor brings the full Speak Now tour to Australia and New Zealand for one last go-round. :D

[​IMG]

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Safe and Sound makes its live debut in Brisbane, and the local newspaper is enchanted:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/music/stealing-the-show-with-swift-work/story-e6freqgx-1226291289322

15. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

^ Nice!

I had seen in the last issue of Rolling Stone (not sure if it was mentioned in here) that there was a rumor/blurb that what she's working on now is a lot darker (in the vein of Safe & Sound) as the result of some recent heartbreak in her life. Pure speculation, I'm sure, but interesting nonetheless.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, I've seen those reports as well. One wonders just how dark she will get, although something like "Last Kiss" from the last album was already pretty bleak. In the clip of "Safe and Sound" from Australia, there is a tension between the dark mood of the song and the usual teen screaming from the audience. An entire album of songs like "Last Kiss" and "Dear John" isn't going to lend itself to a continuation of Taylormania on the next tour. It will be interesting to see how she continues to handle the transition from teen sensation to grown-up artist, although she's already well on her way to pulling that transition off.

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Billboards Top $$$ maker artist of 2011

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/our-country/taylor-swift-billboard-top-money-maker-11-203818813.html

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Taylor's second song from the Hunger Games soundtrack, Eyes Open, is out.

It's probably not one of her best songs: the lyrics seem very much written to order to reflect the themes of the Hunger Games film. Musically, however, it's sort of an interesting hard rocker in the same vein as "Better Than Revenge." T

19. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I'm sorry Driver 8, but I can't not say this.

That's right... it's I-V-vi-IV again!

Oh, and 'Better Than Revenge' is the same cycle from a different starting point, a la 'Poker Face', so that would also qualify for Axis of Awesome's '4 Chords' video.

It's interesting isn't it? I think so. :D

20. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Going back to 'Eyes Open', it closely resembles OneRepublic's 'Stop and Stare', which not only is built on the I-V-vi-IV progression, but also has a very similar chorus melody (leaning on the 2nd note of the scale).

21. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna be on the lookout for it. Doesn't look like it's available on iTunes until the soundtrack is released next week.

22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

She's pretty good at I-V-ii-IV too. Like Lou Reed was pretty good at I-IV...

23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The more I hear it the more I actually like it. I can't put my finger on it but it has the Taylor style.

Then I checked the notes and saw she was the sole-writer and I figured out why.

I simply like the way she writes songs - usually better than her co-writes.

Even if her sales slow down, I hope she only changes styles based on what she wants to do and not for any other reason (like company pressure to go a different direction).

24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It is - and it's the vi that makes it sounds so good.

And also of note, nobody gives you a better bridge than Taylor.

And the lyrics? No repeats. She doesn't cheat the listener. The third verse (and fourth) are always different than the 1st or 2nd.

A consummate story teller.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

She uses common chords, there's no disputing that, but she has an uncommon talent for creating beautiful, strong melodies and well-crafted lyrics on top of those common chords.

The more I listen to "Eyes Open," the more I like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.