Taylor Swift - Speak Now (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Happy 22nd birthday, Taylor.

Today on Twitter she posted a (funny) picture of herself in the studio at work on her fourth album.

[​IMG]

2. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

What are the songs that were remixed? I tend to like the originals. Some of the pop remixes sound a little forced.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Mine, Back To December and Story of Life are the 3 songs that have been remixed on the import version of the Deluxe Edition.

4. BradOlson

5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Thanks for the info! :righton:

6. BradOlson

You're welcome

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Was in Wal-Mart tonight and ran across a CD single of "Ours," which I thought was pretty odd in this download age. The b-side is a live version of "Ours." I don't think any of Taylor's other singles have gotten a US commercial CD single release, although there have been promo CD singles with unique artwork for most of them. For $1.88, I picked it up.

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I too saw that at Walmart this week , very weird seeing a single ...

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Just ran across this article on Billboard.com about the fourth album:

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/taylor-swift-birthday-girl-by-the-numbers-1005666562.story#/column/the-615/taylor-swift-talks-next-album-possibly-for-1005603792.story

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Taylor has a new single up on iTunes now - "Safe and Sound" from the Hunger Games soundtrack. The song is actually credited to "Taylor Swift featuring the Civil Wars," and, musically, it is much more in the alt.country vein of the Civil Wars than in the vein of a normal Taylor Swift song. It's built around a sparse finger-picked acoustic guitar, a hint of pedal steel, and a snare drum. That's it. Interestingly, the songwriting credits credit Taylor, Joy Williams and John Paul White of the Civil Wars . . . and T-Bone Burnett. And this song does recall the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, or even Bob Dylan's late-career Civil War ballad Across the Green Mountain much more than it does the typical Taylor Swift sound. I certainly can't imagine a stadium full of pre-teen girls screaming along to this song. It will be interesting to see if this a hint of the direction that her fourth album will take, or whether this is just a one-off soundtrack song.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

D8,

Where's that Dylan track from?

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It's from the soundtrack to the movie Gods & Generals, and also on the Dylan Bootleg Series Tell Tale Signs.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

With practically zero promotion, "Safe and Sound" is yet another iTunes #1 song for Taylor.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Press release about the Hunger Games soundtrack album. Interesting that the Arcade Fire and the Decemberists are on it as well.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I was Online when she Tweeted about this & i could not get Itunes to pull it up , not sure if there was too much traffic .
    It is a really cool song though ..... i would love her to do more of this , Maybe a 3-part type album with a side of this stuff .....

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

When Speak Now came out, I said there was no limit to what she can do, and this new song is further evidence of that. If "Safe and Sound" were on the new Gillian Welch album, I suspect that a lot of alt.country purists would enjoy it.

I don't know if she'll ever do an album's worth of songs with arrangements this stripped-down, but I do have a feeling that her fourth album will be as different from Speak Now as Speak Now was from Fearless.

17. BradOlson

I agree with you 100%. It will be a surprise on what she will do next.

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I too agree , if you look at all 3 albums , she has Grown a bit with Each one , with "Speak now" being a biggest step , most artists would LOVE to have written just about any of thsoe songs off speak now ......they may not admit it , but they really are great crafted songs & her fan base has stayed loyal , she did not have say the Jonas brothers crash where people outgrew her .
    I can't wait for a new album ..... i also wonder if she'l ever have any of the Guests that played at her shows on albums .

19. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

The acoustic Haunted is really, really great.

I'm sort of rediscovering this album lately. Some amazing stuff that I sort of overlooked the first few times I heard the album.

20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I picked up the World Tour CD/DVD set used over the weekend for $7.99 and watched the DVD last night. Most impressed with the songs and stage setup. She's one heck of a performer. I also found her first album CD/DVD deluxe edition for $5.99. Watched that DVD as well. Looking at prices on Amazon I see that was a pretty good score.

I don't understand the complaining about her singing. I think she sounds great and really knows her way around an audience.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Taylor joins the Civil Wars onstage at the Ryman to perform Safe and Sound.

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:righton:

23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I happen to think Taylor is an absolutely amazing lyricist and gives you your money's worth with every song. She does not cut corners and tells a fine story.

With that, I do enjoy her material very much and wanted to make sure I had a complete collection of her songs. I didn't want to start a new thread (and get blasted) so I figured this would be a good place to ask if anyone knows of anything that is missing.

I do realize there are alternate pop mixes and live versions too, but I am trying to lean towards the actual songs (although the piano only version of "Forever and Always" on Platinum Fearless is sick).

Taylor Swift
    1 "Tim McGraw"
    2 "Picture to Burn"
    3 "Teardrops on My Guitar"
    4 "A Place in This World"
    5 "Cold as You"
    6 "The Outside"
    7 "Tied Together with a Smile"
    8 "Stay Beautiful"
    9 "Should've Said No"
    10 "Mary's Song (Oh My My My)"
    11 "Our Song"
    12 "I'm Only Me when I'm with You" - bonus track
    13 "Invisible" - bonus track
    14 "A Perfectly Good Heart" - bonus tack
    16 "Beautiful Eyes" - from EP
    17 "I Heart ?" - from EP

Taylor Swift Holiday Collection

18 "Last Christmas"
    19 "Christmases When You Were Mine"
    20 "Santa Baby"
    21 "Silent Night"
    22 "Christmas Must Be Something More"
    23 "White Christmas"

Fearless
    24 "Fearless"
    25 "Fifteen"
    26 "Love Story"
    27 "Hey Stephen"
    28 "White Horse"
    29 "You Belong with Me"
    30 "Breathe" (featuring Colbie Caillat)
    31 "Tell Me Why"
    32 "You're Not Sorry"
    33 "The Way I Loved You"
    34 "Forever & Always"
    35 "The Best Day"
    36 "Change"
    37 "Jump Then Fall" - Fearless Platinum
    38 "Untouchable" - Fearless Platinum
    "Forever & Always (Piano Version)" - Fearless Platinum
    39 "Come In With The Rain" - Fearless Platinum
    40 "SuperStar" - Fearless Platinum
    41 "The Other Side Of The Door" - Fearless Platinum

42 "Today Was a Fairytale" - Single from Valentine's Day film

Speak Now

43 "Mine"
    44 "Sparks Fly"
    45 "Back to December"
    46 "Speak Now"
    47 "Dear John"
    48 "Mean"
    49 "The Story of Us"
    50 "Never Grow Up"
    51 "Enchanted"
    52 "Better Than Revenge"
    53 "Innocent"
    54 "Haunted"
    55 "Last Kiss"
    56 "Long Live"
    57 "Ours" - Deluxe
    58 "If This Was a Movie" - Deluxe
    59 "Superman" - Deluxe

60 "Safe & Sound" - Single with Civil Wars

By my count, that is 60 songs in about 5 years. A pretty decent output
    Even though she "only" released 3 albums during that time, she has enough material that would cover almost 5 full LPs.

So are there any songs that are missing?

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Isn't there a cd single called "Beautiful Eyes" with a handful of tracks?

25. BradOlson

It is an EP that has been sold at Wal-Mart off and on since shortly before "Fearless" came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.