To Steve H, or anyone else! Favourite Allman Bro's versions.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snowman, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steve, or any other Allman' fan out there who have heard all versions..What is your favourite master of the two classics 'Eat a Peach' and 'Live at Fillmore'?
    I have the original and remaster of Eat a Peach, and just the remaster of Live at Fillmore.
    The original Peach is my favourite....prefer it to the remaster.
    The remasters sound ok. I also have that bootleg Feb 70.
    There is also 'The fillmore concerts' available..I have heard this has a different (toned down). Am I right in thinking this is not remastered?
    Anyone heard the MFSL Gold's of these two great CD's?
    Not much talk of the Allman Brothers Band in this forum which I find surprising in a mostly American based forum...cmon guys don't you like the Allman's over there!!
    I wish you could do these, Steve. :D
    Any info much Appreciated,
    Snowman.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I like all the original issue Dennis Drake mastered AB's. The have the correct top end (if any).... :^)

The MoFi "Live" is a remix, ain't it?

I like the MoFi "Peach", but haven't played it in a while...

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The MFSL "Eat A Peach" is wonderful. I haven't upgraded my "Beginnings" CD. I do know all the LP configurations I've heard sound like the Drake mastered CD. Capricorn/Atlantics, Polydors... Eeek, keep away from the Q4 LP of "Live At Fillmore". I believe the DTS Cd of "Fillmore" has an alternate version of "If You Don't Love Me" that's really nice.

I've only heard the MFSL of "Live" once, and I didn't make a mental note that it was remixed...but it might have....

I have "the Fillmore Concerts". I really like the set, but I like the way the LP/CD was configured. Note that the Fillmore Concerts aren't an organic account of either of the concerts, rather a compilation of the best.

That sucks too. :( So I stick with the way the LP was configured. It's what I'm familiar most with.

4. snowman

Wow...speedy, informative replies. Thanks guys, you are brilliant! I am most grateful.
    MFSL Live at Fillmore, possibly remixed...interesting! Was the original recording that bad I wonder?
    Thanks.

5. Matt

Matt New Member

Sckott,

How does Beginnings sound compared to the individual CD's? Allmusic says that Beginnings came from an inferior tape.

BTW, Snowman, even though "Fillmore Concerts" is a remix, I usually end up listening to that the most. I think some of the same performances featured on "Live at Fillmore East" are edited on there and complete on "Fillmore Concerts." One or two performances are different than what was used on either "Live at Fillmore East" or "Eat A Peach," but I kind of like the ones on "Fillmore Concerts."

The Drakes are cheap, easy to find, and have great sound.

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I personally like the 2/70 boot from GDP.... which one do you have?

-Jeffrey

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think perhaps you're thinking of "The Fillmore Concerts", rather than the MoFi CD. As far as I know the MoFi uses the original mix.

8. snowman

9. Sckott

The individual CDs, rarely found, sound exactly like the Beginnings. A radio station I used to work with had both CDs, AB & Idlewild South. They replaced it with Beginnnings about the time I went out and bought mine.

My copy of Beginnings is a bit scratched, but I use it quite often. Definately the best slice of Allmans you can buy.

Yeah Luke, Fillmore Concerts pak is DEFINATELY remixed.

10. Steve Hoffman

My Fillmore MoFi is a total remix, no question....Though it ain't mentioned ANYWHERE on the packaging.

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Do you like it?

12. Steve Hoffman

It's different.

:)

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure? What are you comparing it to?

14. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

You are a master of tact.

;)

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

That's the one..... Grateful Dead Productions were involved in that one and it is also sold thru their website..... IMO, they did a good job w/ it. What do you think???

I recommend the AU show from 12/70.... the Alllmans always had a thing for DC.... the RFK shows they did w/ the Dead were very special.

-Jeffrey

16. Matt

Matt New Member

Reminds me of my brother's response after he saw new Comiskey for the first time.

17. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

If you have a quality turntable, the original US pink label capricorn pressing is great.

18. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

...pink label Capricorn pressing of "Live At Fillmore East", that is..."Eat A Peach" was on the tan Capricorn label.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ditto on Drake! :)

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I do prefer Mofi's version... the Fillmore remix is okay for me!

Eat A Peach... the Mofi sounds like :cry: :shake: :cry:

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I don't have it but have read elsewhere that the Filmore Concerts CD use the extended or unedited versions of some songs, particularly a harmonica solo in Stormy Monday.

Reportedly, the DTS CD is a straight transfer from the CD-4 mix.

22. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Comparing the MoFi Fillmore and the Polydor Fillmore Concerts with my reference pink-label Capricorn LPs, the MoFi sounds closer to the vinyl version. The Polydor, which was digitally remixed, has way too much high-end sizzle for my taste. I really can't tell if the MoFi was remixed although it was released at the same time as the Polydor remix in 1992.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just gonna throw my .02 in.

As far as "Eat a Peach" goes I prefer the MOFI CD to every other version including their Vinyl.

Now for "Live at the Fillmore", I like the DTS CD, I just like the overall wacked out 4 channel experience, however for 2 channel listening I think that the Nautilus version on LP is outstanding. IMO the Fillmore Concerts is very different than "Live at the Fillmore" not as good sounding but it has a bunch more songs.

I would also recommend that any who loves the Allmans hunt down the CD boot of Live in NYC. It was a '71 radio broadcast from a small studio in NY. It one of my favorite AB discs. The Gold Standard version is excellent.

24. Sckott

Tom, was that the performance that they did "Soul Serenade/If You Don't Love Me"? It's on the box. That performance is grreat!

25. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Tom -- I've got a copy of that Allman bootleg and you're right, it's great! I had the pleasure of enjoying the Allmans firsthand when they first started playing around Georgia. Some of their best concerts were freebies in Piedmont Park in Atlanta. They were definitely at their peak around the time of the Fillmore East concert.

The Dreams box-set is a must-have. I believe it was mastered by Dennis Drake. I've got both the CD and LP versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.