Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the formats and format combinations, but it's probably worth waiting to see the official EMI press release, which will also hopefully answer the questions about which bonus tracks are included

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What I love about an Amazon pre-order...I have plenty of time to either cancel it, and go with a different variation, or let it stand, locking in the best price.

3. rushed again

rushed again Senior Member

Excellent points to just go and do it.

4. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

That sounds pretty darn good to me! Thanks for doing a great job on the mastering! (I know that's jumping the gun, but I'm betting from hearing your work on the Crimson titles that this is going to sound great!)

5. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Guys - just so you know I don't do any mastering on any of these remixes, though I do get to approve - on Aqualung the new mixes were mastered by Pete Mew at Abbey Road.

SW

6. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

Oh dear:shake:

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Ooh. Hi-rez stereo. Excellent!

8. KeithH

Yeah, this just quelled my enthusiasm.

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pete's not a favorite around these parts. But there is always a chance he could redeem himself.

10. Peter's done some good work as well--it depends on what he's directed to do. If he's directed not to use NR, he won't.

Steven thanks for chiming in with info on this reissue.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So no one remembers an alternate version of "Locomotive Breath" on the original U.S. pressing of the album? I know I remember reading about it in a price guide but I have never found one.

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Sometimes a price guide can be wrong.

13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

That's the quad version found on MU. It's a better version too. Just like Wind up quad was a better version imo. Looking forward to the 5.1 Aqualung. There should be 2 albums worth of different songs from 1971 plus another quad version of the album. Most of my fave Tull songs from 1971 were featured on Living in the past and Side 1 of Aqualung plus other outtakes. From the 20 different studio songs they did that year, My god, Hymn 43 are probably the weakest songs imo and they aren't too bad either
    [​IMG]

14. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

How often do you do mastering on your own albums, Steven?

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

...the question FOR ME IS is..how many times has the "master" been stepped on. What are we getting??

16. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

As always, thanks for the update Steven!

Hopefully the hi rez will get sold without being bundled with LP and such. I'm willing to pay some degree of premium dollars for it. I have the deluxe "In The Court of the Crimson King" box but that's about my upward limit. I'm passing on the Pink Floyd hi rez re-issues because of the cost.

I'll wait and see how this all shakes out....

17. KeithH

The deluxe edition is $145 on amazon.com and there is no real information on what is included. Good price?

Alternatively, I can get the regular CD/DVD set for $21 on amazon.com.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CDwow has it for $16.99 preorder...

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Guys, Peter Mew has gotten much more in line with the expectations of this forum in the last couple of years (cf. This Was deluxe). Plus, Steven gets to approve the mastering. I'm sure it wil be good.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

$145.00 is still crazy money!

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

This is my favourite disc for Aqualung. (Made in Japan for MCA Canada)

[​IMG]

22. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

The question should be. What did they do concerning the damage to the master tape at the beginning of Aqualung? How was this handled by Steven Wilson?

23. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Totally agree. Beside the This Was that I thought was well done, another recent Peter Mew job that really sounds excellent is the Donovan New Stereo mix of Sunshine Superman. He can do a great job on these things, and I'm sure he will want to show Mr. Wilson's work in the best possible light.

24. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Off the top off my head, his work on the UFO remasters was also sterling, IMHO...

25. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I have to admit that he did a good job on This Was. I am not a fan of the UFO remasters though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.