Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I had the next 3 CD's in my cart for a few weeks and as far as I know, the lowest they went while they were in there was 11.99/each. When I finally placed my order a few days ago I was charged 9.99/each.

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

People the reason for the difference between the £11.99 and £9.99 difference is the removal of the VAT once you specify an address that isn't in the UK.

Foreigners don't have to pay the VAT.

Even better is that Aussies and Kiwis who spend more than £25 get free shipping!

3. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Thanks for your thoughts. Kontroversy is up next, but for the time being here's some stuff from Kinks.

Their debut has been mastered for CD more often than any of the other Pye albums: there's the PRT Kinks (stereo); the Rhino You Really Got Me (stereo, mono title track); the 1998 Castle Essential Kinks (mono, also reissued by Sanctuary, Victor, and most recently Universal); the Victor Japan K2 Kinks (stereo); the 2001 Sanctuary mini-LP Kinks (stereo, cover reads Kinks Size, with alternative Japanese art and track order); the new Deluxe Edition Kinks (mono and stereo); the MFSL You Really Got Me/Kinda Kinks two-fer (debut album in stereo); the Teichiku Kinks/Kinda Kinks two-fer (debut album in stereo); and 60 Rock Shots a.k.a. The Kinks Remastered (three-disc set, contains the stereo debut out of sequence).

I'm not going to bother with samples from the Teichiku, on account of it's the PRT mastering with additional noise reduction, nor from 60 Rock Shots, on account of it sucks. Herewith are the intros to "Stop Your Sobbing" in mono and stereo, from each of the other masterings; "Revenge" in mono, from the 1998 and the Deluxe Edition; and "Long Tall Shorty" in stereo, from six stereo masterings.

Also: samples from the single mix of "You Really Got Me," as heard on PRT's "ugly pink" Greatest Hits, PRT UK's Hit Singles, Sanctuary's The Ultimate Collection, Rhino's You Really Got Me, the 1998 Kinks, and the new Deluxe Edition Kinks. And from "All Day and All of the Night," as heard on PRT's Greatest Hits, PRT UK's Hit Singles, PRT's The Kinks Are Well Respected Men, Sanctuary's The Ultimate Collection, Rhino's Kinda Kinks, the 1998 Kinks, and the new Deluxe Edition Kinks.

As before, these are in WAV format with volumes adjusted to matching levels.

"You Really Got Me" (single mix)
    "Stop Your Sobbing" (mono and stereo)
    "Revenge" (mono) and "Long Tall Shorty" (stereo)
    "All Day and All of the Night"

The previous samples from Kinda Kinks are in this post. If you're curious about the dynamics, check out the drumming at the beginning of "Dancing in the Street."

4. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

It would be nice if we knew for sure that Muswell Hillbillies will be released in June. I would like to pre-order all four. I don't think you can pre-order 3 and then add a 4th to the existing order. If you cancel the existing order and place another it might be at a higher price.

5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

If you pre-order the 3 from Amazon UK now and then order MH later if they add it, you could probably combine orders. (You can't do that in Amazon US if you've requested free shipping.)

6. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Matthew, for those of us who are "waveform challenged" ... can you give a brief summary of your thoughts on the "sound" of the new releases, as compared to the older versions?

As always, your knowledge and opinions are highly regarded, and very much appreciated.

Thanks.

7. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Thanks, I didn't know that. I have tried unsuccesfully to add to an existing order from Amazon US. I didn't realize it was because I had chosen free shipping.

8. Matthew B.

Um. Well, I'd say they're better than the Rhinos, the K2s, or the Castle 1998s on grounds of EQ alone. It's down to a choice between these deluxe editions, the PRTs, or the MFSL You Really Got Me/Kinda Kinks two-fer.

For Kinks, the Deluxe Edition is the best CD version to date. The only alternative for the mono mix is the 1998 mastering, and while that one isn't terrible, it's still too bright in comparison with touches of noise reduction. For the stereo mixes, the PRT, the MFSL, and the Deluxe all have very similar tonality. All sound well-sourced. On a few tracks the PRT is just a little more tinny and thin than the other two. The only real drawback to the new mastering is the loss of some dynamics — noticeable if I'm listening for it, but it doesn't spring out at me. So while the stereo mix might be better heard on the MFSL, the mono mix and the bonus tracks are enough of a counter-balance to put the Deluxe Edition over the top.

Pretty much the same thing holds for Kinda Kinks — the MFSL is better than the Deluxe, which is better than the PRT, though all three sound very similar. And taking the bonus tracks and the price into account, the Deluxe Edition is probably the best purchase.

If you're willing to play with the EQ, the PRTs can presumably be made to sound like the the Deluxe Editions but with added dynamics. But as is, they're not quite as nice.

I still haven't decided whether I prefer the PRT or the Deluxe for Kontroversy (MFSL didn't do this one). EQ differences are more obvious than for the other two albums, with the PRT comparatively midrangey and sometimes dull while the Deluxe Edition is brighter with a little more bass. I need to listen to this one a bit more.

SyrinxTemple likes this.
  9. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Thanks Matthew, exactly what I (and probably other folks) was looking for.

:cheers:

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

As long as you place your order at the time, or before, it showed that price, you get that price when charged (unless it goes even lower afterwards - but still prior to release - then you get that new, even lower, price)...

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

No word on Muswell Hillbillies yet, right?

My hopes are it comes out Septemberish with Lola and the lost Dave Davies album.

12. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

According to this site it will be released on June 6.

13. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

Anyone seen a tracklist for the double Face to Face anywhere?

14. Mike D'Aversa

:sigh:

I think there was one posted all the way back on the previous page...

15. Mike D'Aversa

Yeah, that's not happening...

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

scratch that: I missed that the complete Face to Face tracklist is on the previous page.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm happy to see a Kinks thread on it's way to Part 2. Look out Smile!

18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I noticed a difference in the mastering of the deluxe Kontroversy versus the first two albums - sounds louder and brighter. I hope this doesn't spill over to the next set of releases. For Kontroversy I'm sticking with PRT - although I had to get the deluxe for the bonus tracks!

19. Matthew B.

Okay, here are the Kontroversy samples — from the Deluxe Edition, the PRT, the Victor Japan K2, and just for laughs, the 1998 mastering. Intros from "Till the End of the Day," "Where Have All the Good Times Gone," "Ring the Bells," and "It's Too Late." I've also thrown in samples for "Till the End of the Day" from PRT's Greatest Hits, PRT UK's Hit Singles, and Sanctuary's The Ultimate Collection, and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" from The Ultimate Collection too.

Bonus samples: "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" from Greatest Hits, Hit Singles, The Ultimate Collection, PRT's The Kinks Are Well Respected Men, the 1998 Kontroversy, and the new Deluxe set. The "All Night Stand" and "And I Will Love You" demos from the new set and Picture Book. (Yes, that Picture Book sample is from the beginning of the track.) The BBC performance of "Milk Cow Blues" from the new set and BBC Sessions (omitting the spoken intro).

WAV files, adjusted volume, yadda yadda yadda.

"Till the End of the Day"
    "Where Have All the Good Times Gone"
    "Ring the Bells" and "It's Too Late"
    "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"
    "All Night Stand," "And I Will Love You," "Milk Cow Blues" (BBC)

20. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

Yeah maybe.....but this thread died about 25 pages ago in my opinion.

T.

21. Thanks for sharing :rolleyes:

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Funny thing about a music forum that emphasizes on mastering is that people will eventually talk about it. :) I don't mind. I enjoy knowing more about the previous editions. I never realized the love for the PRT's until this thread.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Would it be fair to say that for those on a budget the new discs are the way to go? Many of us that acquired the PRT's can attest to the fact that some are very pricey.

24. Matthew B.

I'd say so.

That said, check out the samples. If you decide you'd really prefer a PRT mastering after all, you don't necessarily have to buy a PRT disc to find it. The same masterings (in a different digital transfer) were used on other CDs, notably the Castle reissues from about 20 years ago with CLACD catalogue numbers, and Canadian reissues on the Elite label. The CLACDs should be easier to find than the PRTs.

25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yep, the CLACD versions are pretty nice. I can't even get rid of my spare ones for $8 each.....

1000 posts in the thread!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.