Fantasy 45 RPM Series: THE NEXT 25 TITLES

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 25, 2003.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

The latest Acoustic Sounds catalog lists the next twenty five 45 RPM Jazz titles mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray for Analogue Productions:

1. Gene Amons: Blue Gene
    2. Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane
    3. John Coltrame: Settin' the Pace
    4. John Coltrane: Lush Life
    5. The Miles Davis Quintet: Steamin'
    6.Kenny Dorham: Quiet Kenny
    7. Duke Ellington and Ray Brown: This One's for Blanton
    8. Bill Evans Trio: Everybody Digs Bill Evans
    9. Bill Evans Trio: Portrait in Jazz
    10. Ella Fitzgerald + Joe Pass: Take Love Easy
    11. Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery: Bags Meets Wes
    12. Thelonious Monk: Thelonious Monk in Action
    13. Count Basie: For The Second Time
    14. John Lee Hooker: That’s My Story
    15. Blue Mitchel: Blue’s Moods
    16. Thelonious Monk and Gerry Mulligan: Mulligan Meets Monk
    17. Thelonious Monk Septet: Monk’s Music
    18. The Montgomery Brothers: Groove Yard
    19. Lightin’ Hopkins: Goin’ Away
    20. Art Pepper: Art Pepper + Eleven
    21. Sonny Rollins: Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders
    22. John Griffin: The Kerry Dancers
    23. Sonny Rollins: Plus 4
    24. Miles Davis: The New Miles Davis Quintet
    25. Bill Evans Trio: Explorations

THE GOOD NEWS: this is ONLY the next 25 out of 100 titles.
    THE BAD NEWS: this is ONLY the next 25 out of 100 titles.
    At $50 a pop that comes to $5000 if you want to complete the collection.

HOWEVER: if you think $50 is a lot, just wait ‘till the speculators find out that Bill Evans’ Waltz for Debby + Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Miles Davis’ Relaxin’ and Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane are already SOLD OUT.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I'm in :D

I sure would like to see some more adventurous titles though, like some Booker Ervin. Jaki Byard is way cool too. Oh well, probably not in this lifetime.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A few of these are absolute must haves, like Monk's Music, Lush Life and Portrait In Jazz. I have the sold out titles. They're all VERY worth the money, although my greed well exceeds my wealth.... It would for many people too.

I still have to get Brilliant Corners before THAT'S gone...

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'd love to see someone tackle one of the Cal Tjader albums. Ideally I'd request the first "Greatest Hits" volume. Maybe for sonic reasons it wouldn't qualify (it loses at least a generation tape-wise, just due to it being a compilation), but it captures so many good tunes, and sequences them so perfectly, I play it more than any of his other Fantasy recordings.

5. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Ouch! says my wallet

The first 25 took a big chunk out of my normal spending. I don't know if I'll continue, but it is tempting. They are all wonderful sounding.

6. -Ben

Mike V,
    There are 50 more titles coming. If it's Fantasy Jazz call Acoustic Sounds and tell them which titles you'd like to see. Who knows..... they might listen to you.

7. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yeah, I've spoken to Chad twice, but it was in regard to returns and not titles (though I did drop Ervin's name just for kicks). Are there any other ideas some of you guys have for titles? Maybe AP will end up doing 200 titles :) :thumbsup: :cheers:

I would also suggest some Art Tatum, but I'm not familiar with his single album titles, just the solo masterpieces box. I'll get around to the group recordings someday.

Oh, and Eric Dolphy "Out There" and "Outward Bound". Both are essential, and should be on the short list (I hope).

8. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Ditto on the Tjader! I'd also like to see Funky Quarters or Agua Dulce.

9. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

The catalog says the first 25 are done, but I still haven't seen Guaraldi's Black Orpheus abywhere yet. It always says coming soon. Anyone know when it'll be released?

10. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Tha acoustic sounds website says that the last three titles will be shipped together around December 10th.

11. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Steve, "Monk's Music" has just been released. According to Chad's website, it appears that the body of the LP was released in stereo. You included outtakes, some in stereo, others in mono. The other 45 RPM releases that I've gotten, do not include outtakes. Why were these added on this title? Also can you provide any info on the stereo mix?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't believe I added any outtakes to the 45 version. No room!

The stereo and mono recordings of this album were done with two separate microphone setups. The stereo had two mics up in the air and the recording is not as close miked sounding as the up-front mono version (on Chad's MONK box set). The stereo version is one of those "you are there" recordings, you can reach out and touch the players!

13. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks Steve, I went back to the Analog Productions website and they have revised the track information. I can't wait to hear this baby in stereo. It's one of my favorites, love the sound of Colman Hawkins and John Coltrane playing together, two of the masters, What a kickin' session!
    Also lookin' forward to the Art Pepper + 11 release.

14. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Gentlemen,

Were Miles Davis’ Relaxin’ and Bill Evans’ Waltz for Debby 45s mastered by Steve.
    And if they were Does anybody know the place where I can still get them?

Mikhail

15. -Ben

ALL Fantasy 45 RPM Jazz titles are mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray for Analogue Productions.

16. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Thanks Ben. I should have read your first post twice.
    Just curious. Have you compared Relaxin' 45 to DCC version on CD.

Mikhail

17. -Ben

I have both.
    Nothing ever produced can compare to the 45 RPM Jazz Series.

18. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

No. 19 should be Lightnin' Hopkins: Goin' Away. You missed an n, Ben.

19. -Ben

I sure did. Bad spelling/typing. But I got it right in post 59 of the "Sealed LPs" thread (I made up by adding an extra g in Goin'):

In fact, it is due for a spin later today. :D

20. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Steve, I just received a copy of your 45 RPM "Monk's Music". It's pretty awesome. Art Blakey's drums sounds awesome, and Coltrane and the Hawk on sax aren't bad either. This one is a real stunner. Thank you!
    How was the condition of the master tapes for "Sonny Rollins + Four". I recall that you mentioned there was a problem in earler thread. Its another one of my favorites. The Rollins/Brown combination was a force to be reckoned with.

21. Steve Hoffman

One 2 second section was replaced with a safety tape, the rest was perfect.

Great album. Clifford Brown before he died tragically.

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks, I'll add it to my wish list. I've noticed that the Stereo releases seem more impressive than the Mono 45 RPMs. They all sound great, but the Stereo ones really sound like butter.

23. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Wish list

Unfortunatly, I've talked to Chad about some of the more adventurous titles (Eric Dolphy Ervin etc...). He is not much a fan of these, preferring the slower, more blues oriented offerings. Also, the currently available tapes for the Dolphy material are not up to scratch. Best to look for the pricey originals.

I agree about the sonics of the monos, they should really be cut on a mono cutting system, but I still think they are among the best records ever cut.

Jason

24. Steve Hoffman

How would a mono cutting system help?

You understand that some of the monos are years older than the stereo recordings? Older microphones, recording machines, microphone preamps, etc. Different studios and recording engineers. Should we NOT release these because of age?

Can't make such blanket statements, guys! :)

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I don't care how they are cut, I trust Steve's ears implicitly, just GIVE ME THE MUSIC!

Evan :cool: