Fantasy 45 RPM Series: THE NEXT 25 TITLES

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Mono cutting...

I suggest a mono cutter head not because the mono recordings are "older" or "inferior" to the stereo. Quite the contrary. I'm sure, though, that there are many age related issues to deal with as far as the masters are concerned.

I suggest a mono rig because there is a "top dead center" sharp quality to the best mono recordings cut on the best mono systems and played back on a decent mono rig. I suggest a mono system because the effect is spectacular and noticable.

For the best mono cuts, try Decca monos or PYE monos. Both cut in the UK. Particularly revealing are when US titles are cut over there.

I suggest mono cutting for the quality of the tapes, not for the short comings.

Jason

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

But 99.9% of music buyers don't have a dedicated mono system. What good is cutting with a restrictive mono tip to them?

The rest is just "special" mastering to give you that 3 db boost at 5k.

Gotta trust me here; I've tried all systems for 22 years and use the best one in the World.

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Hi! I'm coming out of hiding to respond to your comment kt.. I totally agree that the next 50 titles really ought to venture outside the typical rehash, as much as I love all of it. Seriously, some Booker Ervin w/Jaki Byard would sell faster than Chad could sneeze, IMO. There must be 3 or 4 very strong albums right there. Dolphy is a no-brainer. If the tapes are even halfway decent (can't be worse than Portrait In Jazz, right?), these should have been on the 1st list, IMO. It's indispensable, regardless of personal taste. I know this is Chad's money & all, but a poll to his subscribers (#30 here) would be so very welcome! Of course all titles are likely already proposed by this point.. Maybe the next 100? ;) If anything, some of the Pablo titles, as awesome as they are, should be taking a back seat to the greatness of Dolphy at his peak. Maybe it's that I'm rather spoiled & have found a number of those locally for little $$, but the cutting edge greats either didn't sell too well here or their LPs are snapped up immediately, so never mind finding great pressings - it's more like nada. Or maybe separating the blues titles from the top 100 Jazz roster (like with the awesome Albert King/SRV set) would free up just enough space to please the avant garde fans without pressuring Chad to lose the blues? I love those blues titles as well, and the release list to date is all good, but could be better with more breadth/depth. Or maybe neglecting these is just an opportunity with someone with deep pockets to take a shot at re-releasing those titles - anyone want to pool their cash to launch a new label? ;)

Sorry if I offended anyone's taste here, but I'm not putting down the series at all. Quite the contrary. I just hoping Chad's paying attention! :)

4. kt66brooklyn

I have to admit that the Mono 45 masters as they are trounce any other copies of their respective titles that I am familiar with. My favorite shootout was with Saxaphone Collosus.

It is one of my all time faves, so I have an original pressing (bought it, without a cover, for $15 years ago), The DCC copy and the 45. The 45 had all the musicality of the original, and none of the distortion.

The mono results may well have more to do with the tapes themselves than the mastering equipment.

Jason

5. kt66brooklyn

I agree...

Mike,

Mostly, I am very pleased with Chad's selections. The selections have introduced me to records I would have never purchased and there are a few gems I am very happy to see, like 88 Basie Street. :)

There are a few which don't get spinned much.

Maybe if a group of subscribers (and other customers) came up with a few titles to suggest for the next 50, in a group letter, we might see a few come to light.

I think that this series represents an astonishing opportunity to get "best ever" pressings of truly exiting material.

What do you think?

Jason :)

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I most definitely agree, otherwise I wouldn't have signed up for them all :). In fact I've snapped up a bunch of Pablo titles specifically due to how much I loved the Duke & Basie titles on AP.

Chad's picks are tops - you won't find me complaining! I just think there's an untapped reissue opportunity for the legions of fans just salivating at the idea of, say, a Booker Ervin "Book" box set.. On a whim I bought a great Fantasy reissue copy of "The Trance" on quiet 180gm vinyl (a surprise to me) about 4 years ago, and the sound quality is so much better than what I've heard on the CD masterings. Among that series, also on heavy vinyl (oddly some weren't), was Chet Baker's "Groovin" - again, it sounds much better than anything else out there. The Fantasy vaults are largely an untapped gold mine for killer audiophile reissues, IMO. Chad apparently agrees, judging by some of the obscurities on his list, and bringing more and varied off-the-beaten-path reissues would only make the series stronger. And some more common titles leaning toward the adventurous (Dolphy again) would just unquestionably seal this series as legendary (as if it isn't already).

The ltd edition of 1000 copies & pricing model for Chad's top 100 series appears to make the risk of supply outstripping demand a non-issue (I'd think 1000 will sell out, for every last title that SH/KG master), so why not try a couple and see how they fare? :)

Chad - I double dog dare you!!! :D You've got my credit card # for the preorder.. ;)

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.