Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The Band S/T RL is incredible. I prefer it to the AF Gold CD.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Confirmed the lp has no DMM or Masteridsk in the deadwax, just the familiar RL (along with the catalog no and what look to be mother/stamper designations). I'd be curious to hear how this compares to the more commonly seen copies with Masterdisk DMM in the deadwax, but I don't like the album enough to go through the trouble :angel:

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks to Groovin' Garrett, I excavated my copy of ARS' Dog Days, and wouldn't ya know it ? " RL " !!!! :goodie:

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Pat Metheny Group Travels

5. blue

blue Mastering rules

Supertramp/Free as a bird is mastered by Ludwig...but other than the RL mastered Brother where you bound, it's a weak album of Supertramp!

6. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

"Street Kids" by Spyro Gyra

7. OldMusicOnVinyl1

"One for the Road" by The Kinks... I got a UK pressing and all four sides are RL!

8. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

This thread has provided me with some amazing quests for updating my collection. Thanks to all that have posted. I have recently picked up the following:

Zep II RL SS on both sides...awesome, almost mint!!!.
    Hendrix, Cry of Love - Sterling RL - both sides (flawless)
    Hendrix, Rainbow Bridge - Sterling Rl - both sides
    Mick Jagger - She's the boss
    Zappa - Sheik yerbouti - RL - he is one weird dude
    Springsteen - wild innocent shuffle - RL both sides in shrink, looks unplayed..played now!

Anyway, that makes close to 40 Rl's I have now found in my collection. Can anyone confirm the 52nd Street as an RL...I have looked at about 50 copies of it and The Stranger with no luck....heck only one was even a sterling pressing....TJ

One question....does everyone here separate their RL's as audiophile pressing or just leave them in their stax in alpha order? Just wondering how people be sorting their stuff....

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

10. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Most copies of The Stranger and 52nd Street are Sterling pressings by Ted Jensen (TJ), but I was finally found a copy of The Stranger with MASTERDISK RL on both sides a few months ago...I'm also still searching for a two sided RL 52nd Street...

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I'm half way there, I found a copy of The Stranger with MASTERDISK RL on one side!

JG

12. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Hiya Folks :wave:
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Great thread. I have been inspired to search through my LPs and with some clues from this thread, some educated guesses and just plain flukes I have found the following titles to add to the list. Apologies if any of these have already been mentioned:

Roy Buchanan - Second Album (Polydor). Sterling RL on side 2. Just plain Sterling Side 1.
    Ornette Coleman - Body Meta (Artists House). Masterdisk RL both sides.
    Jack DeJohnette - Special Edition (ECM). Masterdisk RL both sides.
    Paul Desmond - Paul Desmond (Artists House, released posthumously). Masterdisk RL both sides.
    Naked City - Torture Garden Shimmy Disc 45rpm. Masterdisk - RL side 1.
    James Blood Ulmer - Are You Glad to be in America (Artists House). Masterdisk RL side 2
    Edgard Varèse - Offrandes, Intégrales, Octandre, Ecuatorial The Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, Arthur Weisberg, conductor (Nonesuch stereo - I think there was also a quadraphonic version of this album). Sterling RL side 1.

I have also noticed that my copy of Turn it Over by Tony Williams Lifetime (Polydor) is inscribed JP/L on both sides next to a Sterling Stamp. I'm guessing it's not a Ludwig, but maybe better-informed members can confirm this one way or the other.

13. motorcitydave

Has Mountain-'Nantucket Sleighride' been mentioned. My copy actually was mastered by Bob and Lee Hulko! Both sides!

14. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I found a couple of more RL's to add to the list....Love Affair - S/T - Sun City - Artists United Against Apartheid.....This was a compilation record like we are the world...not too bad....both above are Double RL's.

15. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Dang! That little list there is what I call good taste in music. :righton: Welcome to the forum, D Schnozz. :wave:

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Have to check mine. This is the way to listen to Mountain! :righton:

17. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. Of course! Absolutely! The record has some serious bassssss!

18. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

All this time and no one has mentioned Pearl Jam's 10?
    The copy I came across today was, very unfortunately, not an RL copy, but the liner notes mention Robert Ludwig as mastering engineer.

Anyone have this pressing?

19. D Schnozzman

Thank you kindly.
    I also have a couple of Nonesuch LPs by the Kronos Quartet:
    Music by Sculthorpe, Sallinen, Glass, Nacarrow, Hendrix (the one with 'Purple Haze') and White Man Sleeps.
    Both are credited on the sleeve "Mastering: Robert C. Ludwig," but there's no RL in the deadwax. Both do say "Masterdisk - DMM." I guess it's possible that Ludwig just mastered these for CD and the credits were duplicated on the LP.

I think that Ludwig mastered all of Naked City's original CDs, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he mastered their self-titled LP on Nonesuch, but alas I only have the CD, so I can't confirm this.

20. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Going through my Small Faces vinyl tonight and found:
    The Immediate Story - Sire Records
    Side one is RL Sterling stamp. The other sides don't have RL stamps.

21. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Didn't know RL mastered PJ's Ten!
    I def need to track down a copy of that!

22. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Its probably been mentioned, but Leonard Cohens Ten New Songs was mastered by Bob Ludwig.
    It sounds excellent on vinyl, even though it was digitally mastered. :)

Chris

23. D Schnozzman

Can anyone with Ludwig's pressing of Sly & The Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On post the deadwax info and label variation? I recently acquired a yellow label pressing with no RL. My orange-label Fresh has RL in the deadwax, so did Ludwig do later pressings of Riot?

Another one that I found the other day is Laurie Anderson's Home of the Brave. Ludwig's master has been mentioned in other threads, but not this one. Masterdisk RL both sides IIRC (don't have it with me at the mo').

24. OldMusicOnVinyl1

Is your copy of Riot an Australian pressing? If so it might be an in-house cut by CBS Australia, and Australian CBS cuts usually have an "MX" as a prefix in the matrix number.

25. D Schnozzman

Nope, it's a US import.
    Can't post the matrix numbers right now since I'm at work. Will have a look tonight.