Shipping & Packaging - post photos of how your LPs arrive!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

I haven't seen anything this specific on the forum yet. With so many people here using mail order for vinyl LP's it would be very useful for members to post a few pics. Then we will know for sure how strong & secure (or not) some of these packages are. And value for money! NOT eBay sellers please as such discussion could be against forum policy - just all the usual large retailers or labels that everyone uses - Amazon, B&N, Sundazed, HMV, Acoustic Sounds, Warner etc etc.

I think we need to:

1. Post a photo of the external un-opened package
    2. A close-up of the address label (cover or remove your personal details)
    3. A shot of the contents and any internal packaging.
    4. Name of Supplier (NO eBay names - just regular retailers/record labels etc)
    5. Cost of Shipped item.
    6. Point out anything of concern or praise!

And here's the first one:

Supplier: CDWOW
    Item Name: The 'XX' Vinyl LP
    Cost: £12.99
    Shipping: Free Worldwide!

So all up 14 days door-to-door to Australia. Perhaps it would be less for UK/USA buyers? No problem with any damage - but thats just down to luck really. It shipped in one of those USA style crucifix mailers that are notoriously fragile on the corners and with no extra internal or external edge reinforcement.

Over to you! And don't forget to update if you notice any upgrading or downgrading so we can all have a useful resource that will hopefully be fairly substantive. :righton:

2. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Good idea Mark. Glad your CDWOW purchase arrived in good condition. I'll have to give them a try now.

I'll have to post photos of my Hendrix purple box when it arrives from B&N. :righton:

3. An absolute great idea for a thread. I can't wait to see some of the damaged ones.

4. imarcq

Well at least we will know the best and worse of the bunch. Who knows suppliers might even be reading this too....I'll add some more myself next time I receive something substantial from another retailer. I wish I had all of the Warner Neil Young original packing to show - it came in about 3 or 4 nested boxes! Amazing. So if anyone DOES get this delivered soon....:edthumbs:

5. imarcq

No other packages delivered this week then anyone?

BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLESBEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES

Now I've got your attention hahahahahahahah!!!!!

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I had a cd arrive today. I was stunned to see a LP mailer and don't remember ordering a LP.

It was a cd I ordered, I thought this was overkill but now I understood the outrageous shipping price from Acoustic Sounds. They indeed paid $8.10 to ship my cd in this beast of a box with a nice catalog. I never bought from them before and was quite impressed but wonder why they do not offer a regular shipping option at a cheaper price for a little cd. :)

Still I was impressed with the packing and materials. I did not want to buy from them cause of this shipping price for a cd , but I could not find the cd anywhere else so thought I should not be cheap and just buy it. Whats a few bucks, right ? :)

7. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Did you ask for a catalog? Or check a box off for a catalog? One place I ordered from awhile ago asked if I would like one of their catalogs with my order. I said yes and that doubled or tripled the total shipping price of my order. When I saw the total shipping price I went back and cancelled the catalog and my shiiping price dropped several dollars!

8. imarcq

That's a bit naughty isn't it? Like you are paying for their advertising mail!

9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I think it may have been Parts Express. This was a telephone book size catalog. They charged the customer shipping for it if they wanted it.

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I thought I unchecked it, it does not show on my receipt. will have to try again to see.

it didn't change when I tried again, adds this.

"Minimum shipping cost is $7.45, additional charges determined by weight."

11. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Neil Young Official Release Series Discs 1-4, #488

White cardboard LP sized box (unsealed), inside of brown cardboard box (sealed with clear tape), wrapped in bubble wrap, with packing slip, inside of large cardboard outer box.

Condition of outer box - slight crease (as pictured in bottom photo). Condition of ALL inner boxes - perfect. Don't ask about the LP's themselves - haven't opened it yet - still working up the nerve! :shake:

Attached Files:

12. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

The NY box above came via UPS by the way.

Brown cardboard foldout type box, with LP sandwiched between an LP sized cardboard spacer and two LP sized sheets of bubble wrap, with packing slip. As you can see in the top picture, the tape that seals the box bends the ends of the box - mine have always come from them this way and it is not a problem because the outer portion of the box is larger than the inside portion of the box that holds the LP.

Condition of boxes has always been good from Acoustic Sounds (FedEx).

Attached Files:

13. imarcq

Good Luck:righton:

14. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Thanks. I will add my findings to Sam's NY thread - fingers crossed!

15. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Well I just received my Jimi Hendrix Purple LP Box from Barnes and Noble. I'm at work so I can't post my pictures just yet (took them on my mobile).

All I can say is that the packaging was less than adequate and the nice velour box has some corner damage, but it's not a complete catastrophe.

I'll post photos by tomorrow. When you see them you'll wonder how there wasn't more damage!

16. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I'm sad to report that there was internal damage. Here's some photos:

Sack:

[​IMG]

Box:

[​IMG]

17. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

More photos

Internal packaging:

[​IMG]

Top edge of box (same on both sides):

[​IMG]

18. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

More photos

Top corner of box (lid off):

[​IMG]

Individual covers and booklet:

[​IMG]

19. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

More photos

Top edge of lid:

[​IMG]

Corner of lid:

[​IMG]

20. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Good golly! What did they do, drive over it with the truck? Bad deal - I feel for you. It is bad enough that the vinyl itself is such a crapshoot these days - the least they can do is get it to you in one piece. :sigh:

21. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

That's the end of the horror show.

I contacted B&N before opening the plastic seal and was told that if I kept the item, I could receive a 10% refund (about $6.10 USD). After opening and inspecting, I have replied to their email to let them know that the damage was more extensive than I suspected. I'm waiting on a reply.

I'd love to send this back for an exchange (or refund), but that would cost me around $40.00 AUD.

I should say that I was going to post photos regardless of the condition in which this box set arrived - good or bad. Also, I have ordered vinyl previously from B&N (Neil Young - Sugar Mountain and Massey Hall) and they were packed very nicely and there was no damage whatsoever.

I'll think twice next time.

22. imarcq

Bugger! I'd defo complain (and send some pics to back it up). Those USA mail sacks are well dodgy - it's just an invitation to toss it about like a sack of potatoes isn't it? When you compare that with the 4LP Neil Young Box set you have to give Warner some credit. Faults aside with the vinyl, it was packed in about 3 layers of boxes. I would get on the phone to B&N as well - at least get a refund if you can. They might well say that it's out of their hands, but I suspect a duty of care exists which hasn't been fullfilled. I've been lucky so far with them, but the LP's always come like that (infact so do Amazon as well) with the just the bubbles inside. I think when it's a heavier object then it's more likely to be tossed around. Whether the mishandling is due to the American or Australian Post who can say? But bad luck. I hope you get either a replacement or your money back!

23. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Not exactly a horror story, but this is from Amazon. Yes, Amazon sell vinyl. This was a bargain 'damaged' inventory item and I tagged it on to some other stuff to make the free shipping limit. It was raining heavily that day, and while the package was left in a sort of dry spot on my deck it clearly got a little damp.

I suspect it would have been worse if they'd used an LP mailer and no inner bag (while I don't diligently do this, if I have a spare supermarket or better still record store bag I use one inside a flat LP mailer in case)

Pretty big box (6in deep) for one LP, but UPS is like that.

Nellie looks *much* happier than on that tiny CD cover.

Mike

24. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

That's the usual Amazon LP packaging Mike. I've ordered quite a lot in the past and somehow all items have escaped any major damage, except a copy of Purple Rain which got a little mangled - they just sent me another one free of charge.

25. imarcq

Sometimes I've received items from Amazon where they also shrink wrap it to a square of card. That seems to give a fair degree of additional protection along with the bubbles. I do get surprised sometimes that an LP in a big box with bubbles can suffer less damage than when it's in an LP mailer (where the corners can get mashed). It's all down to luck if you are looking to save some cash. If risking it isn't an option than the likes of Acoustic Sounds do a stellar job BUT it's a premium service and costs more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.