Shipping & Packaging - post photos of how your LPs arrive!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds certainly do a stellar job, but their customer service is atrocious. I'm still in negotiations with B&N, but things aren't looking good.

2. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Here's an update on my dealings with B&N. It hasn't been a pleasant experience.

1. As already reported, I was offered a 10% refund on the purchase price after my initial email contact.

2. After opeing the box and seeing the extent of the damage, I sent another email with photos attached.

3. After hearing nothing for 3 days, I sent another email, detailing my grievances and giving examples of positive customer experiences with other online retailers (Amazon and Warner Brothers). I also reminded them of how much I'd spent since becoming a B&N member in December 2009 (over $300) and that I expected this level of spending to continue.

4. After hearing nothing for a further 2 days, I called them. I was told that there was nothing they could do except offer the 10% refund. I expressed my frustration with this. I was then told to hold while a supervisor was apprised of the details. After 20 minutes of waiting (during which time I asked if they could call me back - I was told that they were unable to do this!!!) I was told that I would be contacted today by a person from international sales to organise return of the item.

5. This morning I recieved an email, offering a 20% refund. I have responded to ask for clarification. ie should I still expect a phone call, or is this their final offer?

6. I am waiting to hear back. Needless to say, and regardless of the final outcome, they have lost a customer.

3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

Well thats ***** isn't it? At least I know what sort of customer service to expect should the same happen to me. I'd keep on and on and on until they crack. Get a cheap phone card so you don't get slogged with international rates. Or use Skype. Just keep asking for management. Once you can get past the underlings then you'll get half a chance.

Are there any Americans reading this who have got a good result from B&N after similar poor experiences?

4. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

A little ray of sunshine:

I received my copy of Who's Next (Classic 140g) from Amazon today. I would post pictures but you can refer to Mike's post above (#23). Identical packaging and no damage whatsoever. :thumbsup:

Mike's album cover is prettier though.

5. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

B&N update:

I received an email today to say that they are unable to call international customers!!!!! After taking my number and telling they'd call me within 24 hours?

I have asked a manager to contact me. No more Customer Service Automatons.

This is like dealing with my 4 year old son. I wish I could send them to their room for a time-out! :realmad:

6. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

Maybe you could send them the photos and ask for compensation? Just a thought.

I feel your pain!

7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

How stupid can firms get. What happened to good old customer service. It was their fault so they should pay for postage back and replace said item

8. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

Sounds like B&N customer service need to go to the 'naughty corner'!!!

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is Collectors Choice Music a good place to order, good shipping?, and return policy if the lps are defective? Might order from them if they are on the up and up. Any past experiences with these guys?Their prices are $14.99 and $19.98 for the new Jimi Hendrix's Legacy lps.

10. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Bottom line....... it's all that matters these days.

11. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Well B&N are sticking to their offer of a 20% refund - that's from a manager.

I've told them I'll take 35% and remain a customer, or 20% and ride off into the sunset. I'm getting my saddle ready.

This is easily the worst online customer service experience I've ever had.

12. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

In a selfless act of Steve Hoffman Music Forum solidarity, I am prepared to never shop at B&N again. What the heck - I have a Borders right up the street. :righton:

Seriously, the situation really stinks - I feel for you - especially given the distance involved.

13. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Ha ha. Thanks brother. I have been tempted to mention this thread in my correspondence with them but they probably wouldn't care anyway!

14. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

When you buy online, sometimes even when the item arrives to you in perfect condition you are unhappy. Some time back my brother purchased a 60in. Sony flatscreen from some outfit on the East Coast. When it arrived on the truck the guys took it off with the hydraulic lift and left it at the end of the driveway - with my brother standing there. They refused to carry it into the house even if he paid them extra. Nice TV by the way.

All the best to you! :cheers:

15. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Oh well - it had to happen eventually. This order came via US Mail from Amazon. As you can see, the Valleys of Neptune album was forced into a box that was too small and arrived at my doorstep barely still sealed with about 4 inches of the tape holding it together. Hard to see from the picture, but needless to say, #0021 (ouch!) is significantly damaged - bent cover corners and a nice warp. :(

Attached Files:

16. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

People who packs these things just don't care enough about what they do. Why the h**l would you want to pack it in a box that is smaller than the record. Stupid.

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Send it back quickly and request them to cover the re-shipping cost! That is so lame for them to package that way. If they cant do that tell them you will take your business else where.

18. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Does Amazon always pack LP's in this size box? I saw earlier in this thread (post #23) that somebody else got an LP from them in a box that looks identical to mine. I wonder if they think that if they put it in at an angle with packing above and below it that it will survive. I've got more LP's coming from them - yikes!

I have already contacted them and sent pictures, but there is no way that they can replace a number like 0021.

19. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

So - like I wondered in the post above - is the LP usually in the box at an angle with packing above and below? Does anybody recall?

20. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Mine have never arrived on an angle from Amazon. They have always at least been flat. I'm surprised they did this. It's a real shame.

21. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Yes sir, a real shame. The album cover is 12 3/8 inches wide and the interior dimension of the box is just a hair over 12 inches. It couldn't possibly fit flat in this box. :shake:

Whatever happened with your refund situation?

22. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Still waiting for a response from B&N.......

23. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Matador Records Packaging

While I wait for the outcome of the B&N debacle, here's a couple of pictures of my delivery from Matador Records. This is 6 titles (all Pavement). Packed very nicely. Absolutely no damage whatsoever. Also, it took 3 days from US to Aus. Not bad at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll buy from them again in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

24. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

You win some...

I just got another shipment from Acoustic Sounds - perfect as always! My fingers are crossed and I am knocking on wood like crazy though.

25. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Amazon got me again, arghhh - after what happened to me the first time with them, I wanted to cancel this shipment, but it was too late. In the first pic you can clearly see that the LP would not go all the way into the box. In the second you can see the nice warp that resulted from this shoddy packing job.

The bottom two pics are of the box just received from Hastings.com. Amazon could take a lesson or two from them based upon this shipment - my first from them. A sturdy LP box inside of a larger box with the perfect dimensions for the inner box to lie flat protected by air pillows. The outer box was both taped and secured with plastic straps. Nice!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.