Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes-'Tooth, Fang, & Claw'

2. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

No some pressings never have RL on both sides like McCartney. Its a LH/RL combo.

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought sometimes he did not put his "RL" on both sides?

Pat

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, to me it doesn't make sense for a mastering engineer to master 1 side and then another to master the other side. Isn't that cost-prohibitive and crap?

5. Runt

Runt Senior Member

My copy of Mountain Climbing! has RL on Side 2.

6. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I just checked my two copies of Rush - Moving Pictures. One of my copies has the RL on side one only. Side two does have the MASTERDISK stamp but no RL. The other copy, which I bought from a member here a while back, does have the RL on both sides. Since my two-sided RL copy only makes about a VG condition-wise, I have been looking for one in better shape for well over a year now, and I have never seen one.

I remember asking another member about Billy Joel's - The Stranger and he claimed to have a two-sided RL but mine only has one side initialed. I don't know...It seems to be on a case by case basis.:shrug:

7. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

No, Stone Blue is on the list. Havent seen one of those w/ RL on both sides.

8. Obvious yet worth repeating, the sonic vinyl house that RL was instrumental in building sure does has a HUGE must have list ... :laugh: ... thank you Robert! ... :righton:

9. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

No I don't believe so, but it would indeed be comforting to know which titles listed here only exist with one side initialed and NOT the other...

10. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

You are absolutely correct.

He did NOT always sign both sides, but still cut both sides, especially in the later years of his lacquer/DMM cutting career.

Compare the writing between the RL and non-RL sides, you will see that on many both sides match.

This is true of almost all of the engineers out there.

-Aaron

11. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

DR. JOHN-THE BRIGHTEST SMILE IN TOWN.
    clean cut records-cc707
    RL both sides

12. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Climax Blues Band - FM/Live

My copy doesn't have RL as it is the 2nd issue (Sire 2XS 6013)
    The outer cover notes that it was previously released as SAS-2 7411
    Inside the gatefold it reads "Disc Mastering: Robert Ludwig, Sterling Sound"

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Climax Blues Band - Sense Of Direction (Great album!, RL both sides) :righton:

14. 80's RL pop-rock, anyone?

Fairly new to this place and have almost read this entire thread. Lots of good reading here. I'll add to the list:

The crimminally underrated band Payola$ "Hammer on a drum". Not only produced by Mick Ronson, but next to RL's sig in the deadwax is what appears to be a bit of RL humour: "anything for the quiet life"

My copy is also pressed on KC600 audiophile vinyl. Super flat and uber quiet, and at least around these parts, you can pick it up for a couple of bucks!

15. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Don't think that I had seen this one on the list. L.A. Getaway. A really good bluesy collaboration between Joel Scott Hill, Chris Etheridge and Johnny Barbata. Cameos by tons of LA session cats and scary good covers of Dr. John's "Craney Crow" and Booker T's "Ole Man Trouble".

16. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know if RL mastered the UK LP version of "The Free Story"?

17. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

I just checked my copy and there is nothing to indicate that Bob Ludwig mastered that collection.

later, chris

18. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

RL copies of The Stranger are hard to come by on the west coast. They seem to be much more plentiful back east.

later, chris

19. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

I had my suspicions, thanks for confirming this, my friend-- I'm glad there are other fans of this excellent album :righton:

20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Recently found this one in my stash of old records from high school:

Accept Balls To The Wall, Masterdisk R.L.

I leave it to individual readers to decide is this is a "must have" ;)

21. lukt

lukt New Member

A newbie post in this discussion group. Been reading this for a while and it´s been most interesting reading, thank you all!! :)

Anyhow, here´s one that hasn´t been mentioned yet, I guess -
    Blackfoot: Marauder
    A fine sounding rock record.

Then if anyone could help with this one. The Blue Nile: Peace at last (vinyl, WB 1996), has "Gateway BL" etched on dead wax. And the ´L´ looks a lot like ´L´s in RL-signatures. Could it be Mr.Ludwig? Might be far fetched but I was just wondering... And hey, I´m a newbie :wave:

22. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Gateway Mastering is Bob's studio that he founded after leaving Masterdisk. It is likely him.

-Aaron

23. Tristan

Tristan Member

Hey Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! Can you possibly take a clear photo of these markings in the dead wax area for us to look at?
    Thanks!

24. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

While browsing today I saw this one:

The Kinks One For The Road, Masterdisk RL on sides 3 and 4 (presumably copies exist with Masterdisk RL on all 4 sides)

25. Tristan

Tristan Member

Oops, sorry Aaron, got the wrong post. Anyways welcome to the forum.
    Could you possibly shoot a clear pic of the markings for us to look at?
    Thanks!