Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Two more for the list. Love "Revisited" an outstanding LP compilation and Rory Gallagher "Sinner... and Saint" a Polydor comp. of his first two LPs that were originally released domestically on Atco.

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Picked up a RL LZ II. AWESOME. 15 bucks!

3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

2 RL ZZ Top lp's that I have and didn't see on the list:

Afterburner RL in dead wax

Recycler credit on back cover

4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Found 2 more I didn't see on the list:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live 1975-85 5 LP box set (credit on box back)

Bruce Springsteen Tunnel Of Love (credit on inner sleeve)

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, he's credited on these, but I've never seen a copy of either that actually had his initials in the deadwax which makes me dubious. . .

6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My Tunnel Of Love LP has DMM Masterdisk in the deadwax and is a 1A - 1B pressing.

Pat

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Exactly. Has anyone ever seen a copy with R.L. inscribed? As I recall "Masterdisk DMM" is handwritten. Perhaps someone can id the handwriting?

8. Scott M

Scott M Forum Resident

I just dropped the needle on Philip Glass' 1000 Airplanes of the Roof. Sounds great. I've owned the LP for a few months now, but I had no idea until 6 minutes ago that Linda Rondstadt was the vocalist OR that Ludwig mastered this. Well worth the $1.99 - if you come across it, pick it up!

9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Found a Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" LP today. Side "A" has "FM TEST Masterdisk RL". The other side is the normal Capitol information. Anyone else come across one of these? This LP has the 2nd label also, so it was done at a latter time.

Pat

10. Tristan

Tristan Member

That's the exact same copy i've got. IIRC it has the FM TEST Masterdisk RL on Side 1, right? However side 2 sounds equally if not even better than side 1. This is the best sounding copy i own of Rumors presently, nonewithstanding what's coming up...

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yes, side 1 is Masterdisk. Side 2 does sound a little better, IMO. The "RL" side is a little 'darker' for lack of a better word. Great sounding copy. Mine play a good VG++. Doubt I will keep it though.

Pat

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Rage Against the Machine's first LP lists him as the masterer, but all it says in the deadwax is "masterdisk". I don't know if this is the result of printing the CD credits without changing them.

John K.

13. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Found another one:

CLAUDE DEBUSSY/PAUL JACOBS, piano etudes for piano, books I & II (US Nonesuch/WB H-71322, Masterdisk/RL)

later, chris

14. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

No "RL" on mine but it certainly looks like his hand writiing. The cap "R" in Masterdisk is a giveaway.

15. xman

xman Active Member

Found another - Mandrill - Just Outside Of Town - Polydor RL both sides

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Classical RL

Mahler: Symphony No. 3 in D minor - Jascha Horenstein/London Symphony Orchestra with Norma Proctor (soprano), Ambrosian Singers [Nonesuch/Elektra 1971 2LP]

HUGE SOUND!

17. RL did The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle?

I see Springsteen, Bruce - The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle is listed as an RL work. Does anyone here have it? I have 8 copies and none have RL stamp. These are early US, CDN, UK and Japan versions with paste covers so I've always assumed they were 1st or at least early pressings..

18. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Mine is also a paste-on back cover and a gold embossed Demo. There is no RL anywhere, but it sounds fantastic. Side one ends 2E, Side 2 ends 2K then hand written 2T

19. Chromer

Chromer New Member

20. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Huey Lewis and The News - Fore!
    Masterdisk - RL

Picked this up and Billy Joel - The Stranger as part of 7 for $1 :goodie:

The Stranger does have Masterdisk RL on both sides.

21. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I haven't seen any mention of this yet. Mine has "STERLING RL" on both sides.

Amboy Dukes - Marriage on the Rocks -- Rock Bottom (Polydor 24-4012)

Buck

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Sting: Dream of the Blue Turtles

It is? Seriously? Sounds awesome to me. :shrug:

(found recently at Half Price Books for 3 bucks)

23. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Found another one:

ARNOLD SCHOENBERG/PAUL JACOBS piano music (US Nonesuch 1975, Sterling/RL)

later, chris

24. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

As an example, what if it's a title that Bob Ludwig is known to have mastered, yet there is only a MASTERDISK stamp on either or both sides, but no initials at all on either side? I would imagine in this case it is unlikely that it would be a Bob Ludwig cut, correct?

25. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

There's a recent Rage Against The Machine LP thread where someone posted a short interview with Bob Ludwig. He was asked which titles that he worked on were his best sounding. He mentioned the Nonesuch classical titles. :thumbsup: