Beatle Songs WITHOUT McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Your right about one thing, it is probally Lennon that made Macca insecure and Paul McCartney at least gave and nutured George and showed more of an interest in his music unlike Lennon, and yet George played on Imagine but not McCartney's albums I never understood that, Lennon did not return favours and play on George's, I wonder if invited whether Macca would have played on George's albums he never played on any of Harrison's solo stuff:( I would have loved to hear Macca on some of Georges stuff and George's guitar on Macca's records etc, so yeah thank God Macca was not Lennon!:righton:

2. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Totally agree with you. I think it's terribly important to know who contributed what to the writing of each song. Not to determine who was the most influential, most important, or most productive, but to gain some insight into the most important songwriting partnership of the rock era.

3. Maidenpriest

Hey I didn't re-start this thread again it was dead and buried years ago!:D just making conversation not much else of interest going on here today, I am sick to death of Beatles Remaster 125 thread or whatever it is at, i wish someone will start a good meaty thread I am out of ideas :wave:

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

George played bass on Carry That Weight.
    We know he at least devised the bass line on Old Brown Shoe from his demo.

I don't think it's a stretch at all that he played on She Said She Said.

Then there's my post on the previous page (hello……anyone…….anyone)----it's a direct quote from the Get Back sessions which strongly implies that George played bass on the track.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

For Maidenpriest: a quick recall of the facts will point for the fact that John Lennon was the first one to open about who wrote what. Check out Melody Maker and Playboy interviews.

6. Claudio Dirani

Has anybody proven this? Got me lost on that.
    Which songs Paul has said he wrote, but actually didn't?

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

And for the most part, in their respective assessments of the catalogue, John and Paul are in agreement about who wrote what. The two big disagreements I remember off the top of my head are Eleanor Rigby and In My Life.

8. Claudio Dirani

two out of over 200 is not bad, you're right.

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

There is no empty track left for a bass overdub. Takes 1, 2 and 3 (take 3 is the backing track) have bass/drums on Track 1 with two guitars on Track 2. Vocals were overdubbed on track 3 and 4 then it was reduced to free up space for organ and a guitar overdub.

Track 1: Drums/Bass
    Track 2: Rhythm/Lead Guitar
    Track 3: Lead Vocal
    Track 4: Lead and Backing Vocals

10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Yes, of course, because inveterate potheads are well-known for possessing perfect recall.

11. Claudio Dirani

Bottom line, it seems even more evident that Paul was playing bass in the backing track. Besides that, it's his playing style.

12. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

...and to add to the credibility department, when I saw Ringo's All Star Band - he credited George and himself with the songwriting when introducing Photograph - but he made a quip about he how he thinks he may have added a line, but maybe George was just being kind.

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm somewhat a student of McCartney's bass style and She Said She Said just doesn't sound like him to me. The tonality is pretty much completely different from anything else on Revolver and just doesn't sound very much like his Ric 4001 which he used on that album. The note selection and actual playing is competent (especially by 1966 rock standards) but doesn't sound anything like what McCartney would have played to me. There are several pictures of 1966 recording sessions out there showing Harrison playing a Burns bass in the studio. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Harrison played bass on the track. But I certainly don't pretend that I'm correct in my assumption. Oh, it's pretty well documented that internal bouncing from track to track on their Studer J 37 4 track machine started during the Help sessions in 1965.

Bobby Sutliff

nikh33 likes this.
  14. Chris M

Just going from memory but I want to say that GB dialouge is pretty vauge. They are talking about George's instrumental role and She Said She Said is mentioned but I don't recall Paul intimating that he isn't on it.

15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Oh, that's funny. I actually did laugh out loud.

16. Chris M

Re internal bouncing I've read not normally the way Emerick worked. Especially in 1966. Luke could probably expand on that. I'm out of my depth when it comes to tape machines.

Does the guitar sound like Paul? As a non-musician I couldn't really say.

17. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

that is very funny!

18. Claudio Dirani

Lennon & McCartney were a legal partnership from ground zero! This has nothing to do with hiding or telling the world which piece was written by one or another. Ringo was never a proper writer and the fact George didn't tell he wrote a song with him was to grant him a few royalties. If you recall, even Ringo admitted he knew only 3 chords.

19. Claudio Dirani

I guess now I understood why you started this off.
    It was to try and look for if Paul wasn't present on one of their songs so you can call it your personal favourite.

I don't get you having all these sour grapes.
    Paul McCartney was the one who contributed with The Ballad Of John And Yoko when there was nobody else there for John.
    John was very reciprocate with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, for instance, huh?
    Actually, I despise all this rivalry that from time to time turns up among the fans.

20. Maidenpriest

For ****s sake give me a break, i am entititled to start a thread in 2007 on anything i like and if i don't want to worship at the feet of McCartney I am entitiled to do that, but this thread was not meant to be a 'I Hate Paul McCartney thread' of which i don't, but quite simply to see what songs he did not play on and it has given some interesting conversation. I think I will stop starting threads here because whenever I have some negativity towards Paul McCartney people like you make accusations that I hate him:shake:, which is just not true - start your own bloody thread and stop making false claims about me!!:rolleyes:

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Beatle Songs Without McCartney ?.

There is a few, and their crap. :laugh: :thumbsup: ;)

22. Maidenpriest

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::wave:

23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You know, for all the discussion about "She Said", has anyone else actually gone back and listened to the song in stereo?

There is no way the drums and bass were recorded on one track together--the bass is panned in the middle, while the drums are panned far right. I would have to ask the authors of Recording The Beatles to reconcile that with their published instrument & track allocation, as it just does not add up to what anyone can hear on headphones.

Therefore, it would be possible for George to have played the 4-banger on that song. Whether he did or not is another question, but if so, he did a fine job.

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Let's look at the argument:
    1. Paul McCartney says he doesn't play on it. To dismiss this by saying 'he wouldn't remember' is wrong, as it's one of only a handful of tracks he doesn't play on, that would make it more likely he DOES remember correctly.
    2. The bass and drums are NOT on one track, whatever the books say- not the only time the books have been proven inaccurate. So it could have been recorded AFTER the initial 'live' recording of two guitars and drums.
    3. There is a photo of George playing a bass guitar in studio 3 in June 1966. What OTHER track would that be on?
    4. The Beatles discussed this matter of during the filming of Let it Be. It's not a coincidence that this is the only song McCartney mentions.
    5. McCartney doesn't sing on it.
    6. It doesn't sound like any other bass part on the record and it lacks any of Paul's new-style 'melodic' playing. It just rumbles away very competently and appropriately on this track.
    7. The drums and vocal style are very similar to Rain and Paul may have wanted them to record it in a very different style to disguise this but had been veotoed.
    So it seems pretty certain Paul is not on She Said She Said.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

he said he said

Agree !

Just after watching ytube "She Said She Said, with a guy tackling the bass part, and the bass parts played are all root notes except "when i was a boy" part where it's gets a bit fancy like something a lead guitarist would come up with ..methinks. Pretty pedestrian stuff but suits the song well.

What was the argument about ? Pity Paul walked out on the session, just think how much better it would have been with his signature bass playing on this song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.