Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Any pics available? :D

2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

x2

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yea, and they've redesigned the website fixing the loophole that was there yesterday when I pretended to be placing an order... and it did take a coupon and gave me 5% off. Now it won't. Just pretending though. I've already got the mono box from them from back when it was $178.

4. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I saw some pics of the Japanese set on another forum... it's the exact same thing as the US set, except with an extra booklet with the lyrics and essays in kanji.

5. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Buy.com put up a "Buy It Now" listing on eBay for the Stereo Box Set and the Help! (Deluxe Collector’s Edition) for $168.99 with free shipping on 9/09.
    They sold those out, but they were there for a few hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380155809032

If I hadn't decided to buy them individually I would have jumped on it. I seem to have a memory of Buy.com not packing well, but I could be confusing them with someone else.

6. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Bump Bump!

7. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Please post pics when you have a moment!

Also, does the Japanese stereo box have mini-LP format or is it the US version of the digipack?

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Better quality digipak... the printing in the booklets is better and such.

9. I actually found out that I didn't beat the old record. They sent me a VERY poorly written email & it turned out that it wasn't $102.50 for the price, that was the discount, at 40% off the list price. The actual Stereo Box price turned out to be $157.50, which bring my total to something like $316- just under $320 before taxes (free shipping as well). So I didn't quite get to that amazing B & N legendary price run, but I got pretty darn close. The final positive is that I was also able to get a couple of 30% coupons tossed in that I can use along with the $5 off coupons I've piled up. That Big Star box set is starting to look like it just might be within my grasp after all! Though not right away...

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The monos don't have the CD-text. As "surfingelectrode" wrote, the stereo CD's have a heavier cardboard digipack. I don't know about the mono U.S. Magical Mystery Tour, but the Japanese one has EXTREMELY heavy cardboard reminicent of the first U.S. LP release. I will take some pictures of the sets and post them ASAP.

11. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Target ???

What is the story with the gift cards ?

12. For you, & the other person who was "X2" curious. I found out here that there was a 30% coupon for Borders for the 8th & 9th. I actually used that to get a Stereo Box set that day AND I also printed out a few coupons & gave them out to a few of the faithful that we waited in line at Best Buy with. We used my cell phone & called over there to reserve them the Stereo Boxes at 30% off list, which beat Best Buys price. I called Borders all over & found that in Western New York there were 3 Mono Box sets- all in Buffalo. I called there & one store, the store with just one, said it hadn't been reserved, so they put my name on it. It just sounded too good to be true, so I called back & had them do a double check & they assured me that it was all mine, & that I could just call & pay in the a.m. & then either have an old friend who lives near there pick it up.
    Sooooo...I get home that night from treating patients, and...of course, there's the message saying there had been a screw up & they had reserved that one box for someone back in Mid-August, & they are sorry. I went on & on to the customer care folks & they were quite decent about going out of there way (since there is so much well known drama & shortage & frustratingly poor info getting to them from EMI/Apple- they are NOT happy about that & are really pretty PO'd at them over pretty much every aspect of this thing.) to get me an great price on the Mono Box & I asked for them to get me a great price on the Stereo too, & while it wasn't "at cost" like the Mono, they did go to 40% off of list, which worked well for me. A friend of mine is gonna get my 30% off Stereo Box & all is well that ends well I guess.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

We need one of those around here. I've got 150 or so ez listening records some guy gave me with a turntable I bought from him. They're worth about free or maybe even less.

14. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

$5 card for every 2 albums you buy. You can do separate transactions to apply each gift card to the next 2 albums.

15. Waynefi

Thanks

16. Waynefi

Are there any valid Borders or BN coupons available this weekend ??

17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Take a look at http://www.retailmenot.com.

18. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Groovy. Can't wait!

Question on CD-Text for Japanese Stereo Box: For the regular CDs that have CD-text and for SACDs, my car CD/SACD player displays not only the song, but the album name and the artist as well. Does the CD-Text on the Beatles Japanese Stereo CDs embed just the song title?

19. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

I stopped by Target in Rockville, MD last night just to see what the display looked like. There was one copy each of "Sgt. Pepper" "Abbey Road" and "Help"... and countless copies of "Rubber Soul"! I wonder if they over-ordered that title or people just don't like it?

J. D.

20. J van E

J van E New Member

Yeah, lol, I never understood why they called that shop that way!!!

21. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

Your memory is very accurate with respect to the lousy way that Buy.com packages items for shipment. I don't shop there too often and this is one of the reasons. I wouldn't purchase anything from Buy.com that comes in any sort of package that is easily damaged such as cardboard box sets for DVDs, etc.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Better hurry -- that sale ends today and they will not issue rain checks for items they are sold out of (they normally do, but not for the Beatles stuff.)

23. davers

davers Forum Resident

Note to Don (Post #72) - I was referring to the Queen Anne Silver Platters store in Seattle with regard to where I reserved the mono box. Not sure if their other two stores pulled in 40 plus boxes as well, but they did say that the stack of 20 or so they had on reserve were going to be released to the public if they were unclaimed by 10 PM Friday (last night).

24. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I sent a complaint to Best Buy after they were unable to fill my mono box order. (My main beef wasn't so much that they couldn't fill the order - that's not their fault as much as it's EMI's, but that they waited until 9/9 to tell me it was backordered and that it couldn't be filled.) The e-mail response I received said they would be issuing a digital coupon to me. I assume this will just be the $5 I lost out on a Reward Zone certificate which, for some reason, was invalidated when I cancelled the order and wouldn't be accepted in the store.

25. ctE500

ctE500 Member

Walked in to a border's right near my house last night to get something for my daughter and what did I see - a mono box set! this after calling this, and just about every other border's, BB, etc. in the area. Had the 30% coupon in the car so picked it up. I had called another border's yesterday because their website said they had stock in the store. the guy said they did not have it but they would be getting in more next week.

Was happy after I got shut out on Wed. at BB even though I was the 2nd person on line, and someone else behind me happened to see it on the table before I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.