Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Eh? This might apply to the Stereo, but surely all the Mono boxes are from Japan, and so you didn't have to pay Japanese prices the identical product we're buying from places like Amazon?

2. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Does this apply to both the mono and stereo sets. Do the mono sets have lyrics?

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

So like others I canceled my Best Buy order Wednesday morning when the mono box suddenly became "Backordered", and quickly purchased the set on Amazon when it briefly was back in stock...while the delivery date is still 9/17, I wonder why it hasn't shipped yet.

4. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'm in the same camp as you. It was suggested earlier on that Amazon could be filling these with cancelled orders/returns, hence the delay. I think that's only plausible explanation, as a delivery date in October would suggest that that particular order is planning on being filled when the second pressing shipment arrives.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, the other plausible explanation is that Amazon's US fulfillment center is simply getting some boxes from their fulfillment center for the UK Amazon site, for example, since the mono box is apparently identical (all manufactured in Japan, from what I've read) and isn't sold out on Amazon's UK website. Of course I don't know whether this is actually happening, but it is plausible.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I haven't seen the mono box intended for the Japanese market, but remember that just because all of the mono boxes are being prepared in Japan doesn't mean that they will all be identical -- particularly in terms of packaging. I would expect that the Japan for Japan mono box would have lyrics in Japanese, for example, while that obviously would not be true for product manufactured in Japan but intended for sale in the U.S.

I take the original poster at his word that there are other differences as well between the mono boxes.

7. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

I picked up the mono box and so am now thinking of geting stereo box - How is the DVD in the Stereo box ? Length of time, content & quality?

Thanks!

8. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Congrats! :righton: Just curious, what was there original royal screw up?

9. alanb

alanb Senior Member

The films are short and short on actual moving footage .....more scans and pans of rare pics......but the Paperback Writer and rain promo and the Strawberry field promo althouugh edited is the most vivid colour i have seen any Beatles film in....they must have restored that too or wiped the dust of it:winkgrin:

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

So the stereo ones have text but not the mono ones?

11. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

The Borders in Utica, Michigan just put a Mono out 2 minutes before I got there, used the 30% off coupon. Thanks to you guys and your sharing of info, I know will do a lot of spinning this weekend, while Michigan mops up Notre Dame on mute.

12. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

This isn't exactly true. There are a lot of factors involved in the decision by Amazon which carriers are used for "Free Super Saver Shipping."

Some examples from the last couple of weeks (all free shipping):
    The Beatles stereo box - USPS
    The Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition Bundle - FedEx
    Burberry London for Men cologne - UPS

13. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Very nice. You beat the old record: those of us who jumped at the one-day Barnes & Noble $299-for-both sale.

14. Galaga King

15. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Haven't kept up to date on this thread since I got shipping notice from Barnes and Noble that my Mono box shipped the 8th. It arrived today and I can't wait to get home to listen. I bought a few Stereos on Wed. to tide me over.

I checked my credit card on line and B&N charged it $232.49 but my online and packing slip show price with tax included as $197.61. The list price was $239.19 so I have no idea where the figure they charged came from. I have sent an e-mail and will call if i don't have a message tonight.

16. emkay

emkay Senior Member

THAT'S an amazing deal!

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What? How did I miss that sale?

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

In looking through the Amazon Market Place listings I notice that my local CD shop decided to profit a little extra on the mono box rather than put it out on release day. They list the box at $401!! Pretty scummy move.:shake:

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

That's why I don't bother with the mom & pops. They're all doing that sort of thing.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I've only got the one shop (two branches) here and I know they price their used CDs by the internet - which is crazy on their part as they don't move product out fast enough - but taking a new product from a distributor and marking it up like that is bad business. I have no doubt that you're right that a lot of others do it.

Fortunately, given that there is a flood of the boxes on the market right now, the move will hurt them in the long run.

21. Galaga King

On July 19, with coupons and member discount, the mono box was $160 and the stereo box was $139.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

What are you complaining for? You have the Free Record Shop in The Netherlands, just pop along and pick one up for nothing!! :winkgrin:

Attached Files:

23. EJK71

EJK71 Forum Resident

Not sure if this was posted yet but the B&N Member price for the Mono set is down to $215.27 but NO coupons can be used.

24. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

My local independent store sold me mine for 300.00. Not a great price, but, then again, I have never owned any Beatles CDs before so these will last me for a long, long time.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

so as of right now, Amazon has the best Stereo Box set price at $180..???? I'd like to get that down to $150 or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.