Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

UPDATE:

Some Borders locations in NYC have just got the Mono Boxes back in. The Borders at Madison Square Garden had 5 more mono boxes this morning. I just picked up one. I used that 30% off coupon which made it $209 plus tax. Arnie

2. J van E

J van E New Member

Any low European prices yet...? Amazon.de is still the cheapest, it seems (189 euro). (All these VERY LOW American prices are very fine and all, but there are a fiew people from Europe on this forum too... ;) )

3. beatlebum

beatlebum Forum Resident

4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

You are right about the quantity of mono sets on ebay. If you look at the completed auctions, most are being sold, although the prices seem to be dropping slightly. Face it, if you got a set at a retailer such as Best Buy, why not put it on ebay for an exhorbitant price? If it doesn't sell, it can go back to the store as a return. If it does sell for a $50-$80 profit, you've just bought yourself a good start on the individual stereo discs.

For this reason, I think a few sets will start showing up at stores in a few days.

5. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I placed my Amazon order shortly after it was first put back up for sale. Since then, the delivery estimate has been Sept. 21-25 (with one day shipping). Now, I'm just wondering....they can't be expecting to fill my order with the second pressing. I would think if they were, they would give me an estimate of October something, like they are to some people who have since ordered from them. So if they're not waiting for the second pressing, what would prevent them from sending it out sooner? Is Capitol/EMI still making deliveries from the first pressing (which could explain how some Borders are restocking the box, as mentioned above)?

6. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

That's a great price--congrats!

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Or people are returning it -- the delay would account for the time to ship it back to Amazon, right?

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

For an in-store, walk-in deal, it was a great price. And no wait for shipping or worries about dents, etc. And artwise, the Mono Box is a true delight. Arnie

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I ordered from Amazon on 9/9 (early morning) and have a delivery estimate of 9/16-9/17 with two day shipping. This has to be a case of cancelled orders or returns.

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Abbey Road and the mono box were just delivered.

11. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

Target sale

The Target sale is what my wife did.
    Someone in front of her was doing it as she was picking up her reserved copy of Rockband at Target and then she decided to do the same thing.
    That turned out to be a great deal. By themselves the 14 albums would ended up being a few dollars cheaper than the box set and then you get all the gift cards.

We have sort of split up the albums so far. i've listened to Revolver, Rubber Soul, Past Masters and an now listening to Abbey Road. My wife has been concentrating more on the early albums and Sgt Pepper. i think they sound great. Paul and Ringo in particular come out well with much more distinct sounds on their parts.

One last note i saw this morning. Going into this week The Beatles are the #2 selling music artist of the decade (2000-2009) with 28MM units sold in the US. The #1 is Enimem at 32MM. With strong Christmas sales they have an outside shot at being the top selling music artist of the decade. How amazing would that be?!!

FWIW, 3-4-5 were Tim McGraw, Toby Keith and Britney Spears respectively.

RamblinRed

12. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

Also ordered my mono box when Amazon put them back up for sale with a delivery estimate of late September. I just received a notice that my order shipped and is expected on 09/15. :D

13. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Ah...could be....makes sense.

:righton:

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Total including tax and shipping? How did you swing that. I have my bill and its right around $280.

15. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Wow, I just ducked into Target to pick up the last two titles I needed to complete the set: YS and PM. I was there 24 hours earlier, and they had an abundance of almost every title. Today, they were nearly blown out, with most of their stock depleted to just a few remaining discs.

I think I overheard the associate saying that they had just received them and put them out yesterday morning. So that was like release day at this one store. Glad I got there when I did. Also glad I hid one of the two Past Masters behind another artist. Which artist? Yanni. :laugh:

16. Hey I may e in the running for cheapest Box Set yet! Borders had screwed things up SO ROYALLY for me, more about that later, that they had to go about searching out a Mono Box. The said they'd contacted all their stores & there were none in stock...upon furthre investigation I found out that they'd called a couple dozen stores, couldn't find any, did no follow up & were planning on letting it drop & have me wait until whenever, or if ever they got anymore in.
    I did the leg work & thanks to our fine forum found out that there were 5 copies this morning at the NYC Penn Plaza store. Heartbreaking tale wherein I call in with a couple left but they won't hold them until the Corporate office calls to confirm my tale & in the time it takes Corp. to call them (less than 30 min.) the remaining copies are gone. Great NYC moment I explain & complain to the NYC manager & he comes back I says he's got a Mono Box for me (honestly are these things like Blue Jean used to be in the USSR now or what?- Yeah Tony can get one for ya, sure, under coitan coicumstances- Brooklyn accent)...and I get it, a Mono Box, for $159- which they said was cost. They are most probably going to be giving me a Stereo Box at cost as well, which hopefully might be down around $130 or so, we'll see. They just said they'd have to get approval on that one, but that they could. at the very least, get me a great deal on a Stereo one, but they thought one at cost was quite probable. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!!

17. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Yeah, I waited to get my last 2 and out of 2 Targets, they were almost completely wiped out.
    Best Buy and Borders had plenty of copies.
    I guess that happens when you have a sale, right Best Buy???
    Anyway, I wanted RS and Revolver and ended up swapping Rev for Help.
    Both the RS and Help I got were their last copies.
    Plenty of Abbey Road, Pepper, and White left. I guess they knew those would be the faves.

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Border's around me is known for misplacing expensive box sets when a coupon is active.
    I remember having the 40% coupon the last day it was active and wanting to get the Genesis box set.
    I looked all over the store to no avail.
    On the way out, I took a quick peek behind the registers and sure enough, there is a green box behind some other stuff.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

From reading these posts and visiting 2 super-targets, it seems they did well with their sale price/gift card strategy. Many titles were sold out. I still need MMT and LIB. Very pleased with the general availability there of all the titles, as well as of the cost and reward.

20. OK the tale ends with me getting the Stereo Box for $105.20. Total for both Stereo & Mon Box Sets is $265. WOW!

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

:righton:

I'm impressed, man! Many of us paid close to that just for the mono box! And many others paid MORE than that for the mono box! Congrats (though it sure sounds like you went through hell to get there...)

22. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

wow, way to go man. :righton:

23. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

My Japanese versions of the stereo and mono box arrived today from Amazon Japan. They ship everything to the USA via FedEx overnight service.

Beautifully packaged, boxes are of much heavier construction than the U.S. versions. They also include inner plastic protective bags around the CD's, sealeable outer bags around the cases. The cases are of also heavier cardboard than the U.S. versions. Nice OBI and complete lyric books in Japanese and English.

Interestingly enough, unlike the U.S. versions, the Japanese stereo CD's that I've played have the CD text feature which shows the title of the song as it's playing (if your CD player is capable). I've listened to Let It Be and part of Sgt Peppers (stereo) so far. Let It Be is quite wonderfully remastered.

24. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Those are included for the stereo CDs as well?

25. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Congratulations for the Japanese version. Are you implying that the mastering is different than the US version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.