U2 "War" 2 early masterings+MFSL comparison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiospirit, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Thanks for the info on this variant. It appears to be related to the light yellow column since there is a constant volume shift between the two masterings. I would guess that the volume was reduced from the original mastering for this later version (maybe they noticed some kind of clipping/harmonic distortion on the original version).

Anyhow, here's the updated table. By the way, it almost looks like the blue column (Canadian CD) is also somehow related to that same mastering, although the volume level shift is not constant throughout the CD (there seem to be two different volume shifts).

My guess would be that the light yellow column, the yellow column and the blue column all stay in sync.

Attached Files:

• u2.gif
      u2.gif
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    Ubatuba and dee like this.
  2. If someone has the new remastered (deluxe) edition of this album, I would greatly appreciate to see a wav-form of the track "Two Hearts Beat as One" from that version (but please only with the scale being linear (in %) and not in dBFS (which is nonsense to look at in my opinion).

I just waded through 19 pages of the respective thread, but there is no decent waveform in the whole thread.

I saw some waveforms scaled in dbFS, and these didn't look so bad, but it's hard to judge when using that scale.

Thanks.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Here ya go Roland - Happy Holidays!!! :wave:

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes definitely. I have added it to the "list"

Rick

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

For me, the MFSL or the original Island/WEA are the preferred choices, even though they are a bit different from one another.

6. Here's the wav-form of the P35D mastering (yellow column) at the same/similar scale as the óne posted for the remaster. Looks like the remaster is still a tad louder, but not by much.

Attached Files:

7. Which version/mastering do you consider the original Island/WEA?

8. While we're at it, I thought I post the peak levels of the four versions of "Boy" which I own. Not 100% sure which mastering I prefer.

Attached Files:

9. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I should have been a bit more specific.:D

The West German for U.S. released Target CD.:)

10. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

U2 Boy
    P33D-20020 (CID 110)

01- 100%
    02- 100%
    03- 100%
    04- 100%
    05- 100%
    06- 100%
    07- 64.5%
    08- 100%
    09- 100%
    10- 100%
    11- 100%

11. Thanks for the info on the P33D. Updated Table:

Attached Files:

12. SergioRZ

Sorry forgot the other details:

Total time: 42:17 (as reported by EAC)
    Matrix: P33D-20020-U2E

My Linn Ikemi CD player reports 42:19 total time.

13. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Any info as to which pressing - if any - Barry might have been involved with?
    I have a copy of a WG PDO for USA pressing which matches the first yellow column (matrix 7567 90040-2 2895 980 01 *). However, it isn't in Digipack packaging, rather in a jewel case with the artwork printed in the US and the US cover -

[​IMG]

It sounds like Barry could have done this one.

Barry? Anyone?

14. Thanks for posting that, now I know I really don't need that one.

15. John Cantrell

Well, according to Darcy's work-in-progress B. Diament mastering list, Barry did do a version of Boy. Now the question is which one it may be...
    [​IMG]

16. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi John,

The one I did was issued on Island in the US. It had the Digipack case, not a full plastic jewel case.

I no longer have the original and don't recall if my name was in the artwork in the Digipack.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  17. John Cantrell

Thank you, Barry. Yes, that helps a lot. As my Island copy in a jewel case has the same EAC values as in Roland's yellow columns, I'm going to assume the mastering is the same.

Thanks again!

18. SergioRZ

I wonder whay could be the mastering used in the currently available non-remastered Boy CD in Europe... Anyone has it?

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Picked up what I though was Barry's War 422 (811 148-2 made in US by PDMC) today but the EAC values only match the pink/purple column on the first 3 tracks. On the whole the numbers dont match any on the chart.

89.1 %
    89.1 %
    87.0 %
    97.9 %
    72.4 %
    97.7 %
    95.4 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    81.4 %

NO idea what I've got.....

Here is waveform from Two Hearts

Rick

Attached Files:

20. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member Thread Starter

It's interesting,once I meet U2 Boy Manufactured by Sanyo CD. I never meet it again.CD was badly scratched and I don't purchased it.Because very often Sanyo cds have own mastering,is interesting,if anybody here hat experience with such cd.

21. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member Thread Starter

p.s

I forgot to mention,the number was 610 xxx

22. attym

attym Forum Resident

For war, are one of those pink/purple (89.1, 89.1, 87....) an Island mastering on a target CD. An Island target? Is this different from the early target with (83.7, 85.1...)

23. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Well, I got a copy of war for $2.99 off Amazon marketplace. It's the 2nd column in Roland's table. Listening to it now, it sounds very good, except I wish the guitars had a much more stereo presence, but that's a mixing problem. The bass is really great in that it's not murky or thuddy, it just sounds like bass.

I'd love to hear some direct Barry vs. this one comparisons.

24. cnzsystem

cnzsystem Member

Island and A&M catalogue have sooooo many different masterings :|

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Could I get a little help with this War (Made in Japan) Catalog 90067-2:

Matrix: 90067 2 N1E1 2

Perhaps I didn't see it mentioned above.....