U2 "War" 2 early masterings+MFSL comparison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiospirit, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The post right above yours seems to explain that. While the peak levels would be the same they run at slightly different speeds. Peak levels can prove a different mastering they but do not help when it comes to speed/pitch/timing, track lengths, etc. Still they provide what I consider valuable data about 99% of the time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yeah, that's funny though because I don't hear any speed issues with any of the other tracks on the Japan for US. Just Drowning Man.

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

The target and Japan for US are both likely Diament's work (the same master) due to them sharing the same peak levels.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Apparently your ears noticed something even if you could not pinpoint it as per the data from S. P. Honeybunch. I still prefer the P35 and it's unique mastering on the rare occasion I ever listen to the material.

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I could be wrong but those are from 1983/1984 and are not done by him it is a later US for US mastering from 1986 that was Barry D's. I 'm pretty sure it's been well documented somewhere on this forum

jase likes this.
  6. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

Listening to Two Hearts Beat As One now on the Japan for US 90067-2. Bono's vocal not muffled on this. Has a live in the listening room feel to it. Larry Mullen Jr,'s bass drum is rather plaster shaking. Lots of thumping coming through. His snares are nice,clear & have pretty big punch on Red Light. Trumpet solo on that sounds very good. Only muddy murky sounding track here is Sunday Bloody Sunday,but even that is pretty dynamic in the rhythm section.

dee likes this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

I'm not sure if Island released this on CD at the same time as vinyl. I'd bet money that they didn't release it until 1984 or 1985. Discogs.com lists the Sonopress as 1984, the target and regular US for US as 1985, and the P35 as 1986.

The Barry Diament master is not well documented at all. Barry never said with certainty which CD has his work. Some forum members have claimed that certain CDs are his work, but he never verified anything with a listening test. Remember that his CDs usually don't have a lot of peaks near 100.

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  8. S. P. Honeybunch

9. S. P. Honeybunch

I would guess that the pink columns in Roland's chart attached to post #51 have a greater chance of being Barry's than the Japan for US or target. They remind me more of his style on Led Zeppelin CDs than the Japan for US does. The Japan for US has more treble or air and often sounds a wee bit thinner.

10. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Here's a interesting one:
    Island Made In USA
    90067-2 124619D Mfd. by BMG printed on the CD face
    3 90067-2 SRC-16 MATRIX
    EAC peaks - 89.1/89.1/87.0/85.3/66.5/87.0/85.0/87.0/85.5/70.9
    Matches the pink/purple numbers
    Time: 42.11 (doesn't match pink/purple numbers)
    Being really familiar with Barry's work, this really does sounds like his, like the other poster said, similar to the Zeppelins.
    I have an Island Masters IMCD 141, and the MFSL too.
    I'm not even going to bother doing a shootout because this BMG pressing sounds really nice, even when cranked.
    Usually the record club pressings are inferior, I guess I lucked out and got a good one.
    I know the Japan is regarded highly, but I'm actually very satisfied with this mastering. I hope it is in fact Barry D's. It definitely has the "meat." No fatique at all even on New Years Day.
    Can anyone confirm?
    By the way I also made the mistake of buying the remaster about 2 years ago, and it's a harsh, abrasive listen.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    c-eling likes this.
  11. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I would love to compare your copy with the 3 I have (WG Target, P35D and MFSL).

I have a strong suspicion that it might indeed be the BD version (and the best).

12. nikosvault

I was very disappointed with the P35D, especially after preferring the P35D of Joshua Tree to the MFSL edition.

But this was loud and headache inducing.

Turns out that my WG Target has the same peak numbers as the US 90067-2.

It going to come down to the MFSL and that one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    George P and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

My US PDO Silver #1A1 matches the peaks, EAC Time 42:09
    Thinking a year later 32 you probably have it figured out by now :laugh:

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  14. 32XD Japan1

Roland has a Excel sheet breakdown of all the masterings of U2 War on a thread somewhere here. Apparently the Japan mastering and it's clones are the prefered version(s) for War. I'm OK with this version, it's pretty flat. I only like about 4 tracks on it anyway.

c-eling likes this.
  15. 32XD Japan1

I think according to Roland the Japan is the Diament, but I would have to go through the threads. I'm not entirely sure myself. To me this versions sounds fine. It can be cranked and the high end isn't abrasive at all.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I read through some of it, Barry thought maybe his US was re-configured in Japan for it's market, but wasn't sure, But like a couple of his other U2 titles Japan for US his name is listed as the Mastering Engineer (Early Digi's) Did War have a Japan for US issue?

17. HiFi Guy 008

The Japan for US and the German target are the same.
    But I prefer the Japan for US on unforgiving speakers by a hair for some reason.

I also have a US for US that matches the peak levels of the BMG and PDO mentioned above.
    Also have the MFSL and deluxe remaster.
    No contest. I prefer the Japan for US and German target over all of em.
    I can post matrices and peak levels if needed, but yes, there is a chart with all the versions' peak levels on here somewhere.

18. nikosvault

If you are talking about the P35D then that would be wrong. There is no consensus at least.

I hate it, and I'm not alone.

19. 32XD Japan1

Yes, the P35D was the one I seem to remember from the thread as being preferred. I got my copy of War for 5 bucks at a used record store and I find the sonics to be very well balanced.
    Yes, I have seen the Japan for US in the used record stores. I passed it up as my copy sounded fine.

c-eling likes this.
  20. HiFi Guy 008

We should find that thread.
    No, there was no consensus that the P35D was preferred.
    The German target was preferred.
    And I tell ya, the Japan for US, with the same peak levels is just as good for most of us.

Here's the chart with the peak levels:

Essential Barry Diament masterings ยป

PEAK LEVELS ->

U2 / War Japan for US 90067 2 S3E21

Track 1
    Peak level 83.7 %
    Track 2
    Peak level 85.1 %
    Track 3
    Peak level 70.4 %
    Track 4
    Peak level 83.4 %
    Track 5
    Peak level 61.9 %
    Track 6
    Peak level 92.8 %
    Track 7
    Peak level 78.8 %
    Track 8
    Peak level 85.3 %
    Track 9
    Peak level 82.9 %
    Track 10
    Peak level 71.7 %

No, it's not perfect, but the MFSL is no smoother on my system. Just warmer.

That US for US is just not as smooth or detailed.
    422 811 1482 09$ S IFPI L009 (stamped into hub: made in USA BY UML IFPI 0399)

If you guys like it so much, maybe I should sell mine here.

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Correct as with virtually every CD based Album on this forum there is no consensus. IMHO more of chance at winning the power-ball than finding one.
    People must know the type of sound they prefer then find others here with similar tastes - or even better do the legwork/compares yourself. That method is the only one that will approach 100% accuracy for ones own hearing, just make sure your gear is fully warm first :)

22. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

I have a version that appears to be different than any of the versions on the charts posted by @rjstauber above, based on running time. IIRC, it was purchased (by me) in the 80s in the U.S., it has the Island 90067-2 catalog #, matrix is 90067-2-V4E 15T, manufactured by JVC Disc America Co. ("Made in U.S.A."), running time 42:21, spine is black with white lettering, has the "U2 are from Ireland..." liner notes on back cover of case. It sounds good. Mastering seems the same as that posted here on DR Database, as the DR, Peak and RMS numbers are identical: Album details - Dynamic Range Database . Don't have foobar so can't compare peak levels to the charts. Is this the same mastering as any of the ones already compiled here?

23. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

"War" has two different West German target masterings?!

That is what I found today. I just received a "War" target, and either it has been faked/counterfeited or it appears to be a variant that I have not seen documented.

7567 90067-2 2893 213 03 BR matrix
    MADE IN WEST GERMANY BY POLYGRAM on disc circumference
    no outer mirror band
    MADE IN W. GERMANY BY PDO in disc center

Peak levels, Dynamic Range figures, and total time (42:08) match not those of the expected West German target but rather those of the West Germany/US PDO 90067-2 non target, which is the pink mastering on the table and is the reported Diament mastering.

01 89.1
    02 89.1
    03 87.0
    04 85.3
    05 66.5
    06 87.0
    07 85.0
    08 87.0
    09 85.5
    10 70.9

DR12 -1.00 dB -15.77 dB 4:40 01-Sunday Bloody Sunday
    DR13 -1.00 dB -17.10 dB 3:11 02-Seconds
    DR13 -1.20 dB -15.61 dB 5:36 03-New Year's Day
    DR14 -1.38 dB -16.42 dB 4:47 04-Like A Song...
    DR11 -3.54 dB -17.49 dB 4:15 05-Drowning Man
    DR13 -1.20 dB -16.83 dB 3:41 06-The Refugee
    DR13 -1.41 dB -16.85 dB 4:03 07-Two Hearts Beat As One
    DR14 -1.20 dB -18.41 dB 3:46 08-Red Light
    DR12 -1.36 dB -16.75 dB 5:34 09-Surrender
    DR11 -2.98 dB -16.26 dB 2:36 10-"40"

My supposition, as this is an 03 matrix, is that some of the later/last pressed "War" targets were switched over to the Diament mastering. Per Occam's razor, that would be the simplest explanation here. And maybe this already is a known variant, though I find mentions of only one target mastering. So, I could use some expert analysis here, folks. Thanks...

AJ

ricks likes this.
  24. HiFi Guy 008

I'm certain there's a chart comparing the peak levels of several pressings somewhere around here.
    But you're finding is probably not on it.
    Good spot!

I have the Japan for US JVC pressing
    matrix:
    90067 2 S3E21

My German target:
    matrix:
    7567 90067-2 2893 213 01

83.7 %
    85.1 %
    70.4 %
    83.4 %
    61.9 %
    92.8 %
    78.8 %
    85.3 %
    82.9 %
    71.7 %

There were errors

I slightly prefer the Japan for US over the target - even though the peak levels match - and the MFSL doesn't have the same detail to my ears, on my speakers.
    The Japan had slightly more detail and smoothness.
    There were errors (slight) ripping the target, so maybe that's why the Japan sounds slightly better?

25. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

Have you directly checked the peak levels of your Japan for US? Or are you going off just the levels posted in the chart? The reason I ask is that I think we may have both target and Diament masterings among the Japan for US discs, too. That also could help explain why some do and some do not hear differences between the target and the Japan for US.

AJ