Finding The Best Sounding Genesis (Part II), Album By Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Which of these masterings do you have, Jamie? Thanks. :)

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Version 2.

3. Jamie Tate

Yeah, the Atlantic is a bit lean and bright. The V/C has more low end and a nicer top end. It was a pretty significant upgrade to me.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Regarding Selling England by the Pound... nothing has changed there, correct? One of the Atlantic versions (W. Germany for US or US for US) is identical to the V/C?

5. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

What is The EAC for the S/T album on the virgin label (perferibly a newer copy)

6. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

Jamie, where was your virgin disc for S/T manufactured?

7. Jamie Tate

Well, it says made in Argentina but someone posted clips of their UK CD and it was the same.

BTW, I just looked at my CDs and on the target I have a note that says "Absolute crap. Very bright like undecoded Dolby C." I guess that means I didn't like it. :laugh:

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Hey guys, before you get too far into S/T can anyone answer this?

9. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

11. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm staring a Genesis collection... 1 CD so far :laugh::righton:

I bought a Seconds Out fat box double CD a couple of days ago from Ebay without any knowledge about what the best versions are, and the Ebay auction did not specify any details.. it was cheap, and it was ending, I just bought it...

Now.. it's my only version. How does it compare to other versions?

This one is:

- Front cover has gray frame around picture.
    - "This compact disc is not digitally recorded" written on the side of cover.
    - Virgin Charisma
    - GECD 2001
    - 0777 7 86357 2 7
    - On discs it says "Manufactured in Holland"
    - Booklet says "Made In West Germany" on last page...

Matrix CD1:
    786358 2 @ 3 2-1-5-NL

Matrix CD2:
    786359 2 @ 3 1-1-9-NL

Peak values for first 3 tracks of Disc 1:

TRK1 - 100%
    TRK2 - 82.8%
    TRK3 - 100%

It does NOT say mastered by Nimbus. Not made in UK. Not Made in Germany (on disc label).

Is this the exact same mastering used in the Made in Uk and Made in Germany VC's?

Is this a "good" VC copy of Seconds Out, and forum favorite? Or should I get something else?

:righton:

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

13. SergioRZ

Thanks a lot for that information! :righton:

14. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Re: Wind And Wuthering

From what I've read here, the V/C version of Wind is preferred over the US Atco... but, what about the 8-track version?

I have an 8-track Atco that's Made in Canada and it sounds good to me; but then, I only have the DE to compare it to (which I hate). Does anyone else have this? And, is it the same mastering as the Version 2 described here?

15. SergioRZ

I was lucky to buy Genesis Wind & Wuthering for a fair price, and it just arrived. The sound is not quite as I expected, a little too lean maybe?

This version is:

Virgin Charisma CDSCD 4005
    Matrix: Sonopress CDSCD 4005/B-2309 A
    Disc itself does not mention country of origin, nor does the back cover insert.
    Booklet, inside on rear of last page mentions "Made In West Germany"

I'm aware of the Definitive Edition which is actually not good because they used too much noise reduction on it.

There seems to be a Japanese Black Triangle version... but I know nothing about it.

Is my CD version considered the best available? Or should I look for another one?

Thanks!

16. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The Sonopress is thin and weak, IMO. The only CD version of Wind that is good to my ears is the Sanyo Japan pressing. You can find Atco or Virgin/Charisma CDs with this mastering.

Even that isn't as good as the vinyl, but it's pretty powerful.

17. SergioRZ

Jeff, can you help me identify those Atco or Virgin/Charisma CD's with Sanyo Japan mastering?

Any external signs that can help identify them by looking at the front/back cover?

Any specific catalog numbers? Or matrix codes? Are these CD's actually made in Japan?

What about the japan black triangle, is it any good?

Thank you so much! :righton:

18. Jeff Carney

Iirc, the black triangle matches the Sonopress, but you can check the Genesis Early CD Versions PT. II thread to double check that.

No, there are no markings, and this is important, especially with the Atco, as the US pressed Atco CD of Wind is easily in the top 10 worst CDs I have ever heard, so you just have to ask the seller. There is no way other than that to know. If the CD itself is pictured well in a sale, you can see the "Manufactured by Sanyo Japan" in the inner circle.

19. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Isn't the Sanyo Japan also the 8-track version (Version 2)?

Could my Canadian 8-track Atco be the same mastering? :confused:

20. Jeff Carney

Could be. If you want to upload a brief sample from Eleventh Earl Of Mar, I can tell you in 2 seconds whether you have the same mastering as the Sanyo Japan or the thin, wimpy, almost no bottom end at all US Atco mastering.

21. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Thanks. I'll try to post that sample later tonight when I get home.

22. SergioRZ

Only 8 tracks on the disc content seems to be a good way to determine if it is the Sanyo Japan mastering. Does the artwork on the back of the CD list 8 tracks also? Or does it list 9 tracks like the other CD versions?

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The back cover of my Sanyo-made Atco (SD 38 100-2) lists 8 tracks, with 'Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers... listed as 7a and ...In That Quiet Earth' listed as 7b. The same is true for the disc itself, BUT note that the Atco version that is a re-EQ'ed copy of the V/C Nimbus ALSO has only 8 tracks!! So, your best method is to look for MADE IN JAPAN BY SANYO at 6 o'clock on the disc or MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN in the matrix area -- my copy has both, for what it's worth.

With regard to the sonic differences between the V/C Nimbus and Sanyo, I think a preference will come down to personal choice, and I can understand Jeff preferring the Sanyo. For me, this album seems awash in some high frequency hash: cymbals, synth. sounds, etc. Maybe there was something wrong with the monitoring system when they were mixing. In any case, some low-pass filtering has been applied to the Sanyo which tends to help the clarity at the expense of air and space. Played simultaneously and switching between them, there are places where the two sound very similar, and other spots where the filtering is more obvious. This is why I say that a preference will depend on which presentation appeals the most. As is the case with all other comparisons of this type, I find myself preferring the air/space of the V/C, but that's just me!

colmanjones likes this.
  24. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

It's definitely a preference thing. I can't make up my mind if I like the Sanyo best. I think none of them are quite right. This album is in dire need of a decent mastering.

colmanjones likes this.
  25. Jeff Carney

Nah, it's just the CDs.

Even the Sanyo Japan, which is by far the best CD version to my ears, is no match for the German Charisma vinyl I have. It displays fat bottom end and the midrange is warm and not excessive like the CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.