Finding The Best Sounding Genesis (Part II), Album By Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettFX

brettFX Forum Resident

CD Repair Tips and Vinyl--Why is it sooo gooood?

Hi All,

When time permits please send recommendations on CD repair services if you would. [email protected]

I am currently playing for the first time Nursery Cryme vinyl (Buddah CAS 1052) on my entry-level audiophile setup (Emotiva bare-bones stereo setup, Audio-Technica turntable with the 440MLa stylus)...oops just switched to Wind and Wuthering (stuck-on label ATCO SD 38100)...now on Forxtrot (ATCO 81848-1 seems better than V/C 6369 922 {German pressing} and V/C CHC 38) . What is it about vinyl that just seems so special?

I grew up on tapes, barring the Neil Diamond records my father forced me to listen to, and then of course Compact Discs... Why does it seem that records are constructed around a core of quietness? Vinyl does not have the bass palpability i am used to and sometimes the treble seems a bit fractured, but overall vinyl seems to make more room for the listener. I cannot explain this, but ya know how when one builds a building, erecting scaffolding to get men and materials to where they need to be, well it seems to me the music as reproduced by vinyl is the scaffolding and the listener becomes the building--in a sense. The music surrounds the air, the air surrounds the music. It's very different experience than the usual digital reproduction. I have only been able to approximate this feeling of 'quietness' by serious upsampling and playback from computer. I fear this is a 'quality' that will soon be lost in music reproduction and it's appreciation....

oh well...

...so is an unopened pressing of ABACAB on ATCO anything special? Just found it inside one of my gatefold copies of Foxtrot. When I was younger to keep gatefold album bindings 'uncrushed' I'd stick albums inside each other.

Ok. Too much wine for me tonight. Get'em Out By Friday is kicking at the moment. Hope you are all well.

Best,
    Brett

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

So, I just received a UK Swindon pressing of Abacab on Virgin/Charisma. Today I compared it to the target (= Vertigo = WG V/C blue face) mastering.

Like so many other people have said, this one seems to sound better. I really like it. It seems to be less congested that the target mastering, and maybe a bit more lower midrange presence. I wouldn't call it a night-and-day difference, but I've decided that I definitely like it more.

Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere here, but I haven't seen it: Some of the songs are longer. I don't mean they are just padded or a different speed -- they have longer fadeouts. The most noticeable difference can be heard on "Like It Or Not", where the vocal ends and, on the V/C, the music goes on longer (about 6 seconds) without the vocal before fading out. "Abacab" also has about 6 seconds more at the end. "Another Record" also has a longer fade but it's a bit harder to tell.

Another reason to like this V/C pressing -- more music! :)

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Someone requested a scan of the following CD which is my favorite mastering of the album (superior to the Nimbus mastering).

Foxtrot: Virgin/Charisma, Manufactured in the UK, CASCD 1058.
    Inner ring: CASCD 1058/01 VIRGIN MEGASTORE @2

Track 1 Peak level 83.9 %
    Track 2 Peak level 79.9 %
    Track 3 Peak level 73.8 %
    Track 4 Peak level 96.3 %
    Track 5 Peak level 56.1 %
    Track 6 Peak level 92.9 %

Attached Files:

4. system11

system11 Forum Resident

Thanks a lot - which country did you find it in, and is it one of the ones with 'COMPACT PRICE' on a diagonal black strip on the cover?

If anyone has one for sale please let me know :) I've found the Atlantic and Nimbus ones so far.

5. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

I'm not Andreas, but I've got the exact same CD. Found it on Ebay Germany some years ago, and it doesn't have the black strip on the cover.

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Germany, and no "Compact Price" black strip.

7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I haven't been able to find any info regarding the following: Genesis B-Sides sound quality

I am set with all the studio and live albums in just about all formats (originals, definitive editions and 4 remix box sets)
    I have a handful of the Genesis cd singles (comprising about half of the total bsides released)

Is the archive 2 set a worthwhile edition to add? I don't have it and it looks mostly comprehensive for the years it covers. How is the sound quality on this set compared to original cd singles, three sides live tracks, etc...???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.