pink floyd wish you were here CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dnewhous, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Nice to see that there are copies floating around. Pity no one will sell them.

2. fab67

fab67 New Member

No,This is the same one from the first picture that was posted.. I doubt there are anymore sealed..Could be 1 or 2 more but most likely not..The Japanese domestic run was probably 1500-2000 CD's pressed?? Maybe a lot more I don't know...Either way it is only worth having if you already have a used copy to listen to, right??

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I would agree with that.

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I think that's how the master tape of that recording sounds.
    If minimal tweaking is done to the master tapes, many will complain.
    I though most people here like to preserve the sound of the master tapes as much as possible?

5. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I'm not bothered about it being sealed, I'd just like a copy with the obi.
    However unless I ever see one in some used store in Japan, I will never own it. There is no way I can pay the prices on eBay anymore.

Particularly when someone goes and posts a link on here...

6. I've heard the 1994 European CD and the CD from the recent Oh By The Way boxed set. The 1994 CD apparently wasn't remastered, but features the same master as the 80s CD. The Oh By The Way disc is absolutely the best of the 2.

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

oooh as Ben Elton would say "a little bit controversial" :angel:

8. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Here's a Sony Made in Japan for USA 5 track. Note how the titles are spread out and spaced apart on the CD. Kinda different, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Yes, thats what I said :agree: in the "other thread" where, I posted a photo of said CD, same as yours.
    Your artwork however, clearly states "Now Made in USA" so its never going to be the 2 track unfortunately. :sigh: more's the pity.

10. rburly

Those are found more frequently on eBay. You can tell by the "Now Made In The USA" near the barcode.

11. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I looked but can't find that photo. Thanks.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I didn't see that picture. Is this yours?

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not an impossible dream, but the percentages are low. I think you know this, but I saw one in a disk union in Shinjuku a few years ago (can't remember exactly when; I think I've blocked it from my memory). It had a nice obi, slightly faded on the spine, but clean. If I remember correctly, it was 6600 Yen. I thought about it, but decided not to buy it. Every time I read these threads about WYWH, I remember my error. :shake: That's the only one I've seen in 10 years of used CD shopping.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

15. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

It certainly is an impressive list.

I'm not so bothered about sealed stuff, unless I have more than one copy. However, I can understand it from a collectors view. I just like the obi as it is an integral part of the package, a piece of history I guess.

Damn, I need to let the 35DP 4 obi fixation go. So much time spent searching for something that (in the greater scheme of things) will not alter my life in any way at all.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

They were linked, and it was actually this thread (there's so many of these threads right?)-your photos are better Koptapad:righton: .

However, you will see that this one doesn't have the Now Made in USA bar down the back artwork..which is correct for the 2 track. This art states "made in japan" but the CD is made in USA. (6 o'clock on the cd face). Interesting comparison.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3260807&postcount=271

17. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

As low as bumping into Jessica Alba, I reckon.

I don't know about you but I've always been singularly disappointed with Disk Union. When I was there recently, half the stuff in the rock section was bootlegged. The rest of the place was piled to the ceiling with paper jacket editions.

Like I said, think Jessica Alba

Regards

18. rburly

Can I think "your avatar" instead?! ;)

19. rburly

Of course as we all think of having a sealed one, having one with an obi isn't necessarily a necessity for me. Just having one (or more) is nice, but having a 35DP 4 is the main thing for me. As long as I can listen to that version, I'm good to go. Sealed, obi...just gravy.

20. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

That's true. Just having a copy is the main thing. But you know how these things can get out of hand. :sigh:

21. rburly

I know exactly what you mean!:sigh:

22. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

So... I am pleased to report that today I ran across a copy of the Japan-for-US two-track today, attractively priced at $7.95! And Exc, close to M-, all around. Wow.

In reading through this thread (and some others), I am really surprised to see very little mention of the fact that this disc has preemphasis. (Yes, is was mentioned here, for one.) There is a lot of comparison going on with this, but the subject of PE rarely comes up. It might very well be that nearly all CD players flag this properly, but if anyone is listening from ripped files, the odds of PE getting missed go way up, I think. The fact that a couple people have complained about excessive hiss on this disc makes me suspicious.

Since everyone has put a lot of effort into the discussions and comparisons, I just thought I'd make a point to ask: Are you sure you're listening with the proper EQ?

23. You hit the nail on the head Ralph. The 2 Track 35DP-4 sounds excellent, but it's not like it blows away all others. Not even close. The 5 track 'Made In Japan' for the USA market, has the Japan 32DP mastering, and it sounds fantastic as well. I don't know if the early USA pressed disc uses the 32DP mastering, or the 28DP mastering, but your ears are not lying to you, because even the 28DP sounds mighty nice.

I've found several of the 5 track 'Japan for USA' discs, and while some even have the 'Now Made In USA' rear tray insert, none have had the smooth sided jewel case. I've also been very fortunate to have found a few of the 2 Track 'Japan for USA' with the 35DP-4 in the mirror band matrix. Everyone of them were in their original smooth sided jewel case, with the 'Patent Pending' embossed on the rear tray.

I'm fortunate to have the 'Japan for Japan' 35DP-4, with the gold tint, but I'm not married to it. I see myself letting go of it eventually.

24. Thanks for picking up on that, gonna test all my copies when I get home...

-s1m0n-

25. rburly

I think the main reason that it rarely comes up is that the discussion is about the sound of the CD and not CD-Rs. I made a CD-R for someone here, but doubt that pre-emphasis was used in the burning process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.