Glenn Gould, The Complete Original Jacket Collection, 80 cd set.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the JS Bach 6 Partitas by Glenn Gould on CBS German pressing, which has wonderful sound and is very clean (little of the usual pops and clicks so prevalent on the CBS American pressing).

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I got my ORIGINAL JACKET COLLECTION in today. To say this set at $110 shipped is a bargain is a true understatement. I'm actually kind of awed to receive this much music from one of the century's great musicians in one fell swoop for such a low price.

I pulled a disc from the middle at random and was greeted with THE WELL-TEMPERED CLAVIER BOOK 2 PREUDES & FUGUES 9-16. Incredible music. I'm just staggered that something like this is possible at this price while still under copyright. And these aren't remaindered copies that have been collecting dust in warehouses. The thing was released in the EU this year!

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Could it have been an error - $109.99 instead of $199.99?

I know, it's actually $199.97 - but still, could have been a typo.......

Whatever, mine has finally shipped (I also ordered the Ratatouille DVD and had to wait for the release day before both items could be shipped!) and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I'd forgotten that I had Glenn Gould playing the Schumann Piano Quartet with the Juilliard string players on an old CBS CD - it's a wondeful recording. Hopefully that's included in the box along with many other similarly fine performances :)

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Just checked - the Schumann Piano Quartet is listed, as is the Piano Quintet - see "track 84" here:

http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Gould-C.../tracks/B000TJQ75E/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I only know the Quintet played by Leonard Berntein - it'll be fascinating to see if this is a performance by Gould or if it's actually the album with Bernstein playing the Quintet. If it's the latter don't be disappointed - Bernstein's performance is truly out of this world (I actually prefer it to Gould's take on the Quartet! :hide:)

Here's the original LP I am guessing may be in this box:

[​IMG]

Can someone with the box confirm this is the album in the set?

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Defective CD 37

from amazon.com customer reviews:

Issues with CD37 in some copies, November 7, 2007
    By Steven J. Demena "Steve de Mena"
    I have read reports mentioning a manufacturing defect in CD-37 (Beethoven's Variations). I listened to my copy (purchased here) and confirmed, unfortunately, that the report is true. Harsh noise, a brief very loud electronic "screech", came out of nowhere on tracks 26, 28, 30, 31. Very annoying. Anyone else hear this? I sent my set back to Amazon for a replacement. I forgot to look at mine to see where the CDs were actually manufactured. An acquaintance in Canada bought one there and it was OK.

comments to orig. post:

Initial post: Nov 9, 2007 2:33 PM PST
    colotes says:
    After reading your review I checked my disc 37 and found the same defect. My set is listed as being "Made in EU" which I assume is the European Union. I am wary of returning it to Amazon as I may get another defective copy. I intend to call Sony/BMG's NYC HQ on Monday Nov 12 and ask them to advise me what to do (212-833-8000). Will post an additional comment then. There is hope: Amazon lists this disc separately with the same album art as a "Special Import" available in 4-6 weeks (B000UH8HSK). Perhaps Sony/BMG will supply a replacement free of charge.

Posted on Nov 9, 2007 5:31 PM PST
    The Usual Suspect says:
    My CD-37 is also defective on the same tracks. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I got the set as part of the Gold Box deal so it was about a buck and a half a CD. Therefore, I'm loathe to make Amazon send me a new set for this one CD. I will wait to see what happens with the other commentator who is going to call Sony directly (thanks for the info and volunteering to post your results). FWIW, the packaging wasn't that great on my order and the CD box is also damaged as a result.

6. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Shades of the Capitol Albums 2 fiasco

Thanks for the heads-up, Eddie. My set shipped Friday and should arrive November 16. You can be sure this is the first disc I will listen to. It seems replacement sets from Amazon contain the same problem. If Sony is unresponsive (unlikely, from my experience), and if the single disc mentioned above is trouble-free, it might be worth it to buy that item and swap discs.

7. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Yes, it is. It's disc #69.

In other news, my copy of disc #37 is defective as well. My set was made in the EU.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Cool!

Oh well - I guess we can just buy the seperate edition of that one disc if Sony don't offer a replacement.

I'm not too upset about this - it's by no means comparable to the Capitol Albums Vol 2 fiasco.....

9. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

That separate disc is indeed identical to the one in the box. The track listing visible in the image of the back cover matches the track listing of disc #37 in the Original Jacket Collection. I see that Amazon.co.uk has this disc listed as a pre-order, with a release date of Nov. 12 - so this may be the same mastering as the defective disc in the EU manufactured sets. Proceed with caution!

10. coopmv

I just received my set yesterday from Amazon. With the stock market in big corrections, I may buy some Amazon shares since I tend to own stocks in company whose products or services I use a lot, as I have been buying an average of 100 CD's each month over the past few months from Amazon. At any rate, it may well take me till the end of the year before I finish this set since I have a few other sets I have to listen to.

11. coopmv

Having listened to the first 6 CD's in this set, I have to come to the conclusion that Glenn Gould was probably the best interpreter/performer when it came to JS Bach keyboard music in the past 50 years.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

This defective disc problem is a shame. With 80 discs, I figure it will take me months or even longer to listen to all of them. Who knows how many others have defects? Maybe someone will start a website just for the bad discs in this set.
    Sony, I must say, has been very responsive about exchanging defective discs in the past for me, so if they've corrected the disc 37 problem getting a replacement should be no problem for anyone. By the way, I've used the 800-255-7514 number for dealing with defective discs. Not sure if that might be just a Legacy number.

13. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

He's pretty good, isn't he? I used to think he was the best, but I guess I'm not so fanatical about him these days.

However, if you do like Gould, check out Angela Hewitt's Bach keyboard works for Hyperion. She's often been compared to Gould in terms of her style and technical ability. Even better is the fact that she provokes both high praise from most and intense criticism from a few--as any good artist should do. Gramophone, where I get most of my info on classical music, tends to have a lot of praise for her.

I started getting the last batch of Gould remasters from Sony. Maybe I'll be compelled just to get this box instead...

14. coopmv

I have just about all the Angela Hewitt's recordings of JS Bach keyboard works. IMO, she is the closest to Glenn Gould in terms of interpretation/performance minus the humming. :D

15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I like the humming, I miss it in the Zenph recreation of the ol' '55 Goldberg Variations, even though the sound is wonderful.

16. coopmv

The Zenph Re-performance SACD recording is just fabulous.

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think this is a great technological breakthrough, although I expect we'll eventually hear criticisms once listeners adjust their ears to the shock of hearing these virtual performances, much as it took awhile for people to specify the faults of CD once the excitement of removing the most obvious limitations of vinyl wore off.

I'm excited at the prospect of hearing crystal clear versions of pianists who were rarely or never recorded with modern technology, be it Art Tatum or one of the classical legends. But imagine being a contemporary performer who now has to compete not only with the memory of those pianists among critics and afficianados, but shiny new state-of-the-art recordings which will be featured side by side with your new album.

I remember reading how frustrating it was for contemporary jazz artists to have their new album outsold by yet another box set or archival release from John Coltrane or Miles Davis. Now every solo pianist is going to have to compete with the latest re-performance of every great pianist that sat in front of a microphone.

18. coopmv

This set is an eye-opener. I never knew Glenn Gould had a recording on his performing on an organ in JS Bach Art of the Fugue.

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Interesting; today I just got my first-ever Glenn Gould albums (Goldberg Variations and The Two And Three Part Inventions), which are on the mid-price CD Masterworks series of Sony Classical. Yesterday, I got the Goldbergs on Vanguard, by Gustav Leonhardt, and was kind of left cold - in spite of my loving the harpsichord. I didn't think I'd like the Goldbergs on piano, but love them by GG (I'm listening right now.)

Live and learn!

20. coopmv

I have recordings of Goldberg Variations performed on harpsichord by Gustav Leonhardt, Trevor Pinnock and a few others. The same work can really sound quite different when performed on harpsichord.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hey is it just me or is there serious tape flutter on the Two And Three Part Inventions disc (SK 90401)?

22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Sorry to have mislead anyone, but as you may have found out that 800 number no longer exists. I've already had the set replaced by Amazon. Their customer service is great. Unfortunately, disc 37 is, as you would expect, still defective.
    Anyone had any luck replacing it? Looks like the consensus is that for one bad disc the set is still a bargain, and I agree. But I think Sony should have a replacement plan for the individual defective discs.

23. coopmv

Keep that score card. I just finished listening to the first 15 CD's and it may be another week before I get to 37th.

24. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

My set came a couple of days ago. Disc #37 exhibits the defect that others have mentioned in the same tracks.

Having said that, I'm a bit flummoxed by this set. It's by far the largest box set I've ever owned and it's almost overwhelming. I don't know where to start. I have and/or had a few Gould recordings (both Goldbergs at one time).

Nothing to do but dive in, huh? So much music, so little time...

25. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Re: Defect on Disc 37

I purchased my set from Amazon.ca and my Disc 37 was perfect. It was made in the EU but appears to be from a different pressing plant. My inner ring reads IFPI 0781. Good luck on getting a replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.