Glenn Gould, The Complete Original Jacket Collection, 80 cd set.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No problems. Great to hear from Montreal. It has been some 30 years since I last visited.

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And the price for the box set at Amazon.com has got back to $199.97.

4. coopmv

After factoring in the USD/YEN exchange rate, I paid about the same price for my Gould-Zenph Re-performance SACD. The recording sounds quite nice.

5. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Short sale

Wow. It was a one-day-only discount. The sales ranking for this set got up as high as #4 in music on Saturday. It's nice that Amazon adjusted the price for those who bought early. The price at CD Connection and CD Universe is still about $300.

6. coopmv

Last Christmas, I bought a Brillliant Classics 155-CD set on the Complete Works of JS Bach for less than $150. It was heck of a bargain. The performing artists also were not no-name artists.

7. Chaney

Chaney New Member

I predict that very soon the number of Glenn Gould threads will outnumber Beatles threads. In response, the site will be renamed SteveHoffman'sGlenGould.tv. Mr. H. will abandon remastering pop ditties and focus exclusively on the classical arena.

8. coopmv

Highly improbable. While my Beatles CD's have been collecting dust since I have not played them in the past 15 years, there are still more Beatles diehards than there are classical music lovers on this forum.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I guess Chaney was joking...

10. Chaney

Chaney New Member

:agree:

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And I, too, hope this forum will be full of Glenn Gould threads and renamed.... :D

12. Chaney

Chaney New Member

Mark my words: It can not not happen.

13. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I sent them an email and received a response within 15 minutes (!) and my refund has already been processed!

Thank you Amazon for amazing customer service! :righton:

14. timn420

timn420 Forum Resident

I know this thread is mainly in regard to the CD set. But are there any recommended vinyl that I should get? I don't know where to start..

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IMO, to begin with, none of the GG's vinyl sounds as spectacular as, say, Rubinstein's shaded dogs or Ashkenage discs recorded by KEW.
    For the starter, I'd recommend Columbia ML5060 6eye pressing of his first Goldberg Variations.

16. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

That was a quck sale. Just checked the amazon site, and the cheapest now is $169.99 from someone other than amazon. Amazon is out of them.:cry:

17. coopmv

BTW, is there something comparable (i.e. say a 60-CD set) for Vladimir Horowitz, arguably one of the best pianists of the 20th century?

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sony have a great set of the complete Columbia recordings:

http://web.telia.com/~u85420275/CDs/SonyBox.htm

Only 13 CDs - but they are filled up to around 70 minutes each :righton:

They also put out an Original Jacket Collection covering 10 classic Columbia albums:

http://web.telia.com/~u85420275/CDs/SonyOriginalJacket.htm

The trouble with that set is that it just uses the masters from the 1993 "Masterworks" box so there's no point having both unless you want the sleeves. I have both but I'm not sure why I am holding onto the Original Jacket Collection..... :help:

The shame is that, as mentioned in the linked article, the original LPs used some different takes than those used for the Masterworks set so the Original Jacket Collection doesn't match the original LPs accurately :nyah: Hopefully this mammoth Gould set is more accurate at replicating the original albums from an audio perspective.

Anyway, the Horowitz Materworks set is utterly fantastic and something everyone needs in their collection. I'm hoping this Gould set will give me reason to think there is another mortal that has the god-like genius of Horowitz when it comes to classical piano........

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Horowitz

thanks, Mal, i didn't know that Masterworks set existed. :righton:

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I snagged my minty "Masterworks" set from the Hollywood Amoeba back in 2005 - maybe there's another one there by now.....

:)

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

OK it's shipped :)
    Delivery estimate....7th Dec. :(

I'll be over here, waiting...:D

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

eBay

:eek: crikey! :eek:

Manos, you deserve a medal.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ouch :shh:

24. coopmv

Mal, Thanks for the info on the Horowitz's set. It will be on my shopping list.
    When it comes to JS Bach keyboard works, I think Glenn Gould is simply unrivaled. Every recording of Glenn Gould I own so far (not counting the CD set I just ordered from Amazon yesterday) on either CD or vinyl, is some work of JS Bach. I really have no clue as to what Gould's playing of something like Chopin or Rachmaninoff is like.

25. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

I was contemplating this set all night, and finally decided to go for it....$199 again...Grrrr!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.