Out of print Van Morrison titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by barzzz, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

I agree. I listened to the Bang Masters cd last month. It sounds good, imo. Interesting takes of Beside You and another Astral Weeks tune. Can't remeber which! It is a fascinating and revealing look into the music he was writing/recording at the time. I don't think it's a great album, per se, but as a long-time fan of hs work, it's definitely a pleasure. :)

2. dee

dee Senior Member

One of the things I like about his music is that because he's been in the game so long, there are a few different Van-eras to enjoy. I'm sorry, I can't recommend any vinyl pressing information to you, however, here are a few titles that I think are especially interesting. Also, I'm of the opinion that His Band & Street Choir might not be one of his "better-sounding" releases. If you like it though, ST. Dominics Preview would be a great addition to your collection if you don't already have that one. I also think you might like Veedon Fleece, which is mysterious. I find Veedon Fleece an extremely satisfying listen. Two of my later favorites are No Guru and Poetic Champions. Also Side One of Into The Music is indispensible, imo, and although I don't find side 2 as appealing, others may. Tupelo Honey is an effective blend of C/W and R&B. If you like No Guru and Poetic Champions, Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment might be comparable to those, and vice-versa, imo. :)

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well, I feel just the opposite about Into The Music. Side 1 is pleasant enough, but Side 2 is a true tour de force. So obviously, the whole thing must be indispensible :)

4. dee

dee Senior Member

No argument there. :) :p

5. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I'm still waiting on Moondance vinyl to be reissued by these people; I've held off pursuit of a good used copy:

http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/store

I'm not buying much new vinyl, but I'm hopeful for Van's back catalog as well as REM's.

6. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=209489

40 Years After Releasing His First Solo Album Van Morrison Signs New Record Deal

LONDON, October 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Van Morrison has renewed his relationship with Polydor Records in one of the music industry's most important deals of the year.

The deal grants Polydor the rights in Van's catalogue of recordings - one of the most seminal in the music business - a move which has allowed the release later this month of a Greatest Hits album which spans all five decades of his career for the first time. The album, "Still On Top", will be one of Polydor's biggest releases for Christmas, and will pave the way for Van's eagerly-anticipated next studio album - due early 2008 on Exile Productions/Polydor Records.

Despite being in the music business since the Sixties (when on occasions he played seven gigs a day) Van still averages 100 gigs a year. He has sold an estimated 40m records worldwide, and his catalogue consistently sells in excess of half a million records a year across the globe.

Universal Music Operations president David Joseph says: "Van Morrison is one of the greatest artists of all time. We look forward to working with his past, present and most importantly his future hits."

Some facts about Polydor...

Polydor is the UK's leading record company, and home to some of the most successful new talent to emerge from this country in the past five years.

The label's UK roster includes the multi platinum-selling artists Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs, Take That, James Morrison and Girls Aloud as well as this year's successful breakthroughs Klaxons and Kate Nash. They share a roster with successful acts from across the musical spectrum, from Ian Brown to Yeah Yeah Yeahs. In 2006, the label's Snow Patrol, Take That and Scissor Sisters emerged as the three biggest-selling albums of the year - giving Polydor Records an unprecedented 1-2-3 of the chart of the year.

Formed in 1946, Polydor is a label with a rich heritage. Its catalogue includes the work of such musical greats as The Who, Cream, The Jam and Abba.

Polydor is run by joint presidents David Joseph and Colin Barlow. It is owned by Universal Music Group, the world's leading music company with wholly-owned record operations or licensees in 77 countries around the world.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Polydor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.