Out of print Van Morrison titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by barzzz, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know whats up with the Van Morrison catalog? On cd universe,no less than 16 titles are on backorder, and on amazon, lots of popular titles are only available from marketplace sellers at inflated prices.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Van Morrison owns the rights to that part of the catalog – Tupelo Honey-now. He’s probably moving his catalog under a different record company. He did this when he moved his WB titles under Polydor in the last 90's. Tupelo Honey and other titles were out of print in the US for almost 2 years and then they got reissued/remastered under Polydor. Polydor’s deal probably ran out. I’m sure they will be reissued soon at some point.

3. todd33rpm

todd33rpm New Member

Wonder if there's a move to EMI/Blue Note pending?

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Geez almost want to sell some of my Morison CD's off for some $$ but I'm worried about a potiential remastering job.

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Right now even his bestselling BEST OF is out-of-print, which sucks for retailers. That's a catalog staple.

I thought the Warner Brothers discs sounded fine; the Polygram discs different but still good. The remasters were more detailed and corrected a couple minor errors, but overall I prefered the Warner discs for their tonal balance. Still, I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time worrying about one or the other.

6. todd33rpm

todd33rpm New Member

Likewise. For what it's worth, though, I think he tends to keep the work pretty close to him; Metropolis did the last round IIRC, and they seemed okay. (I had the Warner and Polydor versions of Veedon Fleece, Tupelo Honey, and It's Too Late to Stop Now, and the worst I could say was that the Polydor versions were a little brighter in the treble; less "earthy" sounding, but not shrill by a long shot. Could be interesting to hear a Blue Note take on all three of those, though.)

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

What were some of the "minor errors" that needed correcting?

8. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Please don't suggest that we have a "Rudy Van Gelder" series, however. The mere idea would give some people 'round here a hemorrhage.

9. Couleddie

Couleddie New Member

Van Morrison is back with Polydor in Europe (both Magic Time and Pay The Devil are on Polydor over here) but on checking it seems most of his back catalogue is currently not in print here either.

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I just wish they would remaster them. Properly. I have a couple of the old WB and they dont sound bad. But Van desperatey needs the Dylan sacd treatment.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Can you imagine Astral Weeks in dts?? <sigh>

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I picked up an old vinyl copy of His Band and the Street Choir a couple of months ago and although it's a very quiet, good sounding pressing (old green label), it's also pretty scratched up to the point where the quiet parts of I'll Be Your Lover Too sound terrible even after several cleanings. I ordered a M- copy from a online used vendor. Although it's in much better shape (still not really what I'd call near mint), the tape hiss is noticeably louder, as if it were some re-issue done from a high-gen source. The label is a newer white WB and it's a much thinner LP. I really like this album so I wish I could find a better LP.

By the way, I'm just discovering Morrison's music. I've always known he was around and was familiar with the hits, but I never really took the time to get into his music. Which are the best vinyl pressings, the old green label WBs?

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Van's definitely more interested in pursuing new music rather than dealing with his catalog, so I'd pick up whatever titles you're missing before they all go MIA for a while.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It will be a Peter Mew Series!

15. todd33rpm

todd33rpm New Member

Okay, now I am gonna throw up.

:)

16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

he's recently signed a deal with EMI and he and his owned catalog goin with him. I'm sure it'll be back in print soon enough.

he owns everything but the first 3 i think...

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

No wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks for the clarification! :mad:

Evan

18. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

...*gulp*...:(
    I'm hanging on to my old WBs for dear life :p

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hard to remember now without both versions in front of me. Things like the first note being snipped off a track, stuff like that.

20. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Dunno if do Them-Featuring Van Morrison in the japanese issue count? I barely ever saw that title on sale.

21. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

The whole thing will undoubtedly be the source for Van's one music industry rant requirement per album....

Ain't going to let the music business push me around/
    Going to take my catalog and go underground/
    No way the music moneyman can make a mint/
    When all my albums are out of print...

(Cue the Candy Dulfer sax solo, Brian Kennedy answering on "around" and "mint", and Van scatting on "print"...)

22. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Awesome! Needs a title though, let's see...

How about

"Reissue THIS!"

24. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

CM, you really need to listen to more early Van ;)

Not a Dulfer or Kennedy in sight (er....earshot)!

25. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

One error was the first note of Listen To The Lion which was very slightly snipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.