OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You receiver is not doing the HDMI handshake properly. You'll probably have the same problem with the OPPO.

What happens if you don't turn on the TV, and decide to play a CD or DVD? You get sound from your speakers right?

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I just don't see why your BD players shut off with the TV unless some Macro Command in your remote does it? :confused: I have an 805 and a 30 and I never had that problem.

3. Rachael Bee

Would it help him to try one of the other two HDMI inputs? One of mine, #2 actually, doesn't work as well as the other 2 inputs, on my 805.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Wouldn't hurt.. but it would be better if he could start a new thread to trouble-shoot.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

6. Has anyone used this kit before? Has anyone encountered any problems using it?

I find it interesting that one of the locations it plus into is an empty connector on the main board (the brown connector towards the back of the board). My guess is that it is an auxiliary power connector.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Oppo

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thanks Bill. I'm getting closer and closer to a SE in Jan!!!

10. Flatso

Flatso Forum Resident

Just got my Oppo 83 for Xmas and so far loving it right out of the box. I am sure modifications may bring incremental improvements but this is a great player as is. Thanks wifey. :goodie:

11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Thats about what I said also ,just being alittle more favorable toward the Denon. The Oppo like I said is better on all fronts but Hi-rez formats were not just as pronounced, but the improvement is their like you said. I was only using two channel analog outputs so mayby thats a factor. John M:nauga:

12. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I haven't been this excited about an audio device since I was introduced to the Ah! Tjoeb cd player 10 years ago or so, which has been my redbook player since. Well, there's a new sheriff in town. I've now got around 80 hrs of break-in on the BDP-83SE and I just love it. I only listen in 2 ch stereo mode, no mch. To my ears, in my system, this player is much more detailed than the Tjoeb. Dynamics are better, low end is tighter and better defined. Overall sound is "cleaner"...it just seems like the music has less distortion now...maybe it's less "tizzy" in the higher freq's than what I was used to hearing. I know it sounds corny and cliche, but something about the music now just seems to be more "right"...it's easier to follow bass lines, or any other instrument within a mix. I haven't even got around to sacd and dvd audio yet! Can't wait to give a spin to the blu-ray Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's.
    Merry Christmas to me!

13. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

That would explain it.... I'm really digging the 2CH performance of this unit, I've been listening primarily to RBCD and neglecting my hi-res stuff. It was the other way around when using my 2200.

I'm still trying to convince myself I'm not hearing any difference between the CD in w/pure direct mode enabled and the L/R Mch in on my AVR when connected to the 2CH out on the SE.

14. Rachael Bee

:thumbsup: That's my fav music title so far.

15. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone could give me a little "consumer advice." It would require familiarity with the latest upgrade of the Ayre CD player, the Ayre CX-7eMP.

I have the original version of this player, the Ayre CX-7 (plain). I can upgrade to the CX-7eMP for about $700-800, I think. Or, I can take that same money and completely replace my Ayre with the Oppo BDP-83SE.

Now, granted the Oppo plays a lot more formats than the Ayre and I would be getting a lot for my money with the Oppo in that respect, but just limiting the comparison to playback of redbook CDs, which "upgrade path" (for roughly the same amount of money) would result in superior playback of redbook? The latest Ayre upgrade or the 83SE?

16. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

If it is in the $200 range I will really be upset. I just purchased a blu-ray player last week as my Christmas present from my wife. If I knew about the new OPPO, I would probably held off on purchasing one.

17. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Will the Oppo BP83 Blu-Ray play Pal Region 1 or 0 DVD's? I own the Oppo but would like to order the Genesis 1970 -1975 SACD / DVD /Pal version if the Oppo BP83 can play these DVD's.
    thanks,
    Jim

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, it can play PAL region 1 or 0. It can playback them natively, or covert to NTSC.

19. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Thanks a lot Sam for the quick response. Another Question: could you explain:
    thanks again,
    Jim

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

PAL content has 576 interlaced fields at 50Hz scanning frequency. TVs in the US are 60Hz or some multiple of that. Some TVs in the US are multi-scan, and display content at 50Hz/60Hz/etc. But, not many. So, some DVD players like the OPPO take the 50Hz PAL frequency and convert it to 60Hz for display on all US (NTSC) TVs.

21. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

thanks so much Sam,
    Jim

22. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Has anyone experimented with replacing the stock ac cord with a more expensive type? Hmmm...

23. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

" ... PAL content has 576 interlaced fields at 50Hz scanning frequency ..."

There is a bit more to it than that. Euro / PAL analog TV and movies are also 25 frames per second.

But once the conversion from analog to digital is made, the conversion between PAL and NTSC or to 16x9 letterbox (or other) or even to BluRay is simple computer calculations, often just register "bit flipping" ... running very fast.

24. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.