OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

Continued from here :)

2. darkmatter

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've been testing the Blu-TV feature for a while now. It is nothing exciting in its current form, dunno if that will change.

The DNLA feature, however, is really cool. Streaming a movie stored on my PC to the DVD player is very nice :agree:

4. Not really sure what exactly Blu-TV is. I would much rather see Netflix, Blockbuster, CinemaNow, Vudu, etc.-type movie rentals, purchasing, and streaming.

5. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Please help- I can't find any mention of DLNA in my owner's manual. How do I access this feature?

Thanks

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I agree with you, but apparently there's some meaty licensing deals that must be worked through to offer these services.

Are you using the Jan 5, 2010 firmware?

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-48-1224b.aspx

The DLNA feature is not in the manual, as it is new. Do you have a DNLA server, i.e. Windows Media Center?

http://www.obsessable.com/feature/home-media-streaming-101-dlna-explained/

7. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

9. For Mac OS X, there are a LOT of DLNA options. Try Plex, Boxee, XBMC, and Playback. I'd try Plex first because it is an awesome, all-around media server and client application:

http://www.plexapp.com/

10. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Hi Sam

Do you know if DLNA will work without running windows server?

For example if I set up an NAS by QNAP or NETGEAR would it still work. Also can it work off of my main computer sharing media on the network? I have not set up any of this yet but depending on the answer it may change my media player choice on the network.

Thanks,

Ted

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Although I do have a DNLA server on my network, and stream stuff to the OPPO, I'm definitely not an expert.

If your QNAP or Netgear NAS has a DNLA server built-in, I would imagine you'd have a good chance of making things work. I think the host device has to have the DNLA server built-in to share to other devices.

12. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Thanks Sam. :)

Well then when looking to buy an NAS device I will have to see if it is DLNA capable.

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm curious what has happened to Oppo's new model? I thought this would coincide with C.E.S.

14. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

OK I'm using Windows Media Player as a DLNA server. But so far I can only get the Oppo to play MP3 files not WAV files. Do you know if it will play WAVs, Sam. It sees them but will not play them. And as far as I can see so far things have to be in "my documents" in the music, video or picture folders

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, I thought so too, but evidently they decided to hold the announcement back a bit. I suppose it could come any day now :shrug: It's definitely not vaporware ;)

Yes, I seem to recall no WAV playback. I can experiment tomorrow. Definitely no FLAC, it has to do with the MPEG decoder, i.e. Mediatek.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I saw that but it seems to me it's the Oppo that decides what file format it will play. OK I see something about transcoding that I don't understand. Also noticed that it seems to play everything in alphabetical order, unless I put a number connected to the title with no spaces. Rats there's gaps between songs too. I'll have to try a different program

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, the decoder chip in the OPPO ultimately decides what formats it can handle. However, depending on what your DNLA server can do, it could potentially transcode everything to something digestible by the OPPO.

Ya, the alphabetical thing kinda sucks. I think the PS3 works about the same way.

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Thanks, Sam! I'm hoping to be able to stream the 24 bit Beatles stuff to it somehow. I'll figure something.

20. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Come to find my Nero 7 has an DLNA server built in that transcodes. Set it to preferred format of LPCM and it will play the 24 bit WAV files.:goodie:

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Excellent! What do you think of the SE sound?

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

SE sounds great, especially through the tube amp. Not as good as the Arcam CD37 though. Having a hard time getting the Oppo to see the folders in the music directory as albums. It sees on as unknown but not any of the others. It sees the WAVs if I hit all music but not the individual albums which is how I'd like to play them

23. darkmatter

I was going to ask how you were getting on :)

24. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Ran indexing again and went to albums. It show an unknown album with 228 songs in it. I have no idea how it's filing these things I hit play and it's plaing the White album disc 1. In the correct order though, not alphabetical. However there's big gaps between songs

25. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

The Oppo SE can read regular WAV files from the internal or USB hard drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.