Cool and woozy psych pop tunes from Deerhunter on the new Microcastle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Maria Chiara Argirò ~ Closer (2024) Thread Starter

If any of you are still into that Loveless shoegazin' kind of thing, this isn't quite as layered and gauzy (nor quite as epic sounding) as My Bloody Valentine, a little more open and reminiscent at times of that great La's record from about the same time, but it does scratch an itch that I wasn't fully aware needed scratching right now. Nice record, probably more along the lines of something from Ride. Gotta admit that I had hoped the sound would be a little better, recorded at the Rare Book Room in Brooklyn like a couple other great sounding analog recordings of the 90s (love the sound of Silver Jews American Water), but kinda lo-fi, which honestly isn't much of a detraction when talking about this type of music since none of the shoegazin' stuff sounds all that good after you layer in the many mixes. The drums always seem to suffer most, though at least this one doesn't sound underwater like on Loveless. Some very good guitar playing too.

Anyway, this one has been pretty much on repeat with me for the last week... just feels good. Probably gonna be one of my favorites this year. Mostly I've only listened to the main CD, only gave a couple listens to the second CD so far, sounds a bit more experimental, maybe more like their previous records, but a definite bonus, not just indistinctive leftovers and demos like on most 2-CD packages nowadays. Not a bad deal either, as it comes in a real 2-CD jewel case from Kranky for $13 ppd. Quick delivery, CD wrapped in cardboard and sent in a padded envelope, over $2 in postage included in that price. Hard to believe the year is almost over, doesn't seem like there has really been any blockbuster damage done to the music status quo this year, does it? Anything turn you into a street teamer this year... yet? Some very good ones from Shearwater and Wovenhand, and maybe the best from Bon Iver. Nice one from Sun Kil Moon. Nick Cave too. Maybe TV on the Radio, not sure yet on that one.

2. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I like Microcastle, even more than Cryptograms I'd say. Although I'm even more fond of Bradford Cox's other project, Atlas Sound. Have you checked that one out? It's far more dreamy, ambient and trippy than Deerhunter, if you're into that sort of thing as well.

Have to agree with you on 2008. It's been a very good year for music-TVOTR, Bon Iver, Shearwater, Fleet Foxes, Sigur Ros, Frightened Rabbit, etc. but not as many Blockbusters as last year for me either.

I've never heard of Wovenhand-I'll check them out.

3. Davey

Wovenhand goes back to 16 Horsepower and David Eugene Edwards. Very powerful music. Blush Music is still my favorite, but great music on all of them. Blush Music reworked and transformed many of the songs from his Wovenhand debut, adding loops and found sounds, just lots of extra textures. Also the last 16 Horsepower record, Folklore, is one of the best from this decade for me. Think it was 2002. The first half of this newest one is some of the best music of the year.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=160855

4. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Heard a couple of songs from Microcastle on Sound Opinions today and liked what they played.

Cool to see your Olivia Tremor Control avatar, Davey. Some of the electronic noise on Microcastle reminded me a little of Dusk at Cubist Castle.

I agree with you and TooLoud on the state of music this year, compared to last. Some good stuff (Nick Cave, King Khan, SM & the Jicks) but nothing that hits me the way the National did last year.

Jeff

5. Davey

Hehehe, yea, he does owe a debt to the charming Olivia Tremor Control folks. Did you notice the possible homage in the title of the last track? "Twilight at Carbon Lake", with a slow build to a very cool and noisy ending. Blissful. This really is a good record, especially when packaged with the Weird Era disc. Reminds me a little of the things I like about the Broken Social Scene debut at times too. Just picked up the self-titled BSS from the library a few days ago and having a good time with that too. Kind of messy, and all over the place, but in a good way.

I know you're a fan of many of that E6 collection of bands, and other indie stuff like Pavement, so did you ever hear the Glands record? If not, definitely seek it out since it would probably be right down your path. http://www.amazon.com/Glands/dp/B00005NGW4 Sadly, that was it, there was nothing to follow, though many of us fans have waited for years. There is even a video up on youtube asking where they went :)

6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Just listened to the amazon samples and have to say ... I like that a lot! Reminds me quite a bit of early lo-fi Guided By Voices.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff

7. Davey

A lot more Pavement than GBV, but yea, good stuff. I think you're a Drive-By Truckers fan too, right? Patterson Hood calls the Glands self-titled second record the best to come out of Athens. I think the lead guy still manages one of the best record stores down there too. And vinyl is def the way to go on this one, with extra songs and a better flow. Some nice comments here, with a link to the Hood list ...

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2008/01/28/the-glands-self-titled-2000/

8. SpencerWebb

SpencerWebb Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up the LP on this one? If so, what was your verdict compared to the CD?

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Reviving an old thread, this album is good and the vinyl sounds good (Cut by Joe Lambert @ Trutone). I see that it was recorded by Dave Barbe/Chase Park in Athens too so I'm sure there is some analog recording going on. The second lp, Weird Era EP, is cut by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering.

I figured their would be more of a thread about this album. I've been meaning to pick this up for the last 4 years.

Aftermath likes this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I need to give this another listen, but I remember not being very impressed with Weird Era (the second disc). Seemed like a collection of b-sides that should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

There's actually two versions of the vinyl:

• The original issue has the same artwork as the CD release and only includes Microcastle on white vinyl, with Weird Era bundled with it on CD.
    • The later issue (which is the one still in print) has alternate artwork and both albums on a double LP set.
    I only have the later issue so I don't know if there are sonic differences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.