Wovenhand - Ten Stones (some pretty amazing new music)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Maria Chiara Argirò ~ Closer (2024) Thread Starter

Still soaking it all in after only a few listens, rocks harder overall than any of the Wovenhand (or Woven Hand) solo records in the past, some of it almost like when 16 Horsepower used to let it all loose. One of their most varied musical releases too. Moments when you can almost picture Nick Cave in his days with PJ Harvey, riding with the ghost of Joy Division. Sin, salvation, and the power of the Lord. Powerful stuff. Not really anyone else making rock music like this. Jason Molina, sometimes, but he doesn't really go for that same atmosphere, the grandeur David Eugene Edwards seems to achieve so often.

Then he slows it all down on the second side with the crooner cover of "Corcovado" from Getz/Gilberto, sandwiched between the bluesy "White Knuckle Grip" and the short but kickin' ass (native) Indian chant of "Kicking Bird" ... nice :)

Pretty nice flat and quiet vinyl from Sounds Familyre in NJ, just like the previous Mosaic.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Maria Chiara Argirò ~ Closer (2024) Thread Starter

From the perspective of a couple years later, Ten Stones seems to be a collection of 10 songs that just didn't ever quite come together as a whole. Really good opening, and some solid songs in the mix, but not my favorite Wovenhand record overall...

But enter The Threshingfloor ... this new one is fantastic. Very dark and well integrated with a nice mix of the southern Gothic and European folk sound, it has a much more cohesive feel, similar to Mosaic. He's back recording with Ferbrache in Colorado, and it sounds good. Lots of vocal processing at times, so not always obvious, but it isn't compressed to death like most stuff, so does have a little breathing room for dynamics (at least in the modern context). Ordy Garrison on drums and 16Hp buddy Pascal Humbert on bass, always providing strong rhythmic feel. Great cover of New Order's "Truth" in the second half kinda makes up for the somewhat awkwardly placed Jobim bossa nova cover on the last one (though taken on its own, I liked the cover). This time, the New Order cover is preceded (fittingly) by one of the more dark and goth sounding songs, big swirls of guitar feedback and Native American chanting behind the vocals, pretty cool. And followed by a rousing rhythmic workout led by a Hungarian shepherd's flute (according to the credits - not sure what makes it Hungarian, or for shepherds).

I see they are touring with Tool, does seem kind of an odd match at first thought. Good exposure, and I bet a lot of Tool fans would probably jump all over Woven Hand, and 16HP too, especially if they unleash all the passion and fury the are known to sometimes bring to concert.

If nothing else, people should at least hear the title track, one of the best and most unusual things he has done. Really sounds like no one else I can think of. Like a band of possessed gypsies, frenetic drumming, Edwards speaking in tongues, like he can no longer contain himself. Only lasts for 3 minutes, then gone.

Anyway, if you're a fan don't miss it...good writeup at.. http://www.blurt-online.com/news/view/3846/

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

They opened for Tool when I saw them last week. I liked them ok enough. I should give them more of a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.