Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

LOL. Anyone who thinks yacht rock means 'nautical themes' is beyond hope. They deserve a full blown technical analysis.

ispace likes this.
  2. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

That song evokes Steely Dan mixed with this one:

3. Jeff Chandler

Jeff Chandler Forum Resident

Interesting list. I only collect five of the artists who have 3 or more songs on the list. And fifteen with 2 or less. Does that mean I have decent taste in music?

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

As baffled as I am listening to what they call Yacht Rock?

5. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

steelydanguy likes this.
  6. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I had the great pleasure of seeing Steely Dan play The Bear live at the Chateau St. Michelle in Woodinville, WA.

It is a great song. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

7. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Bob Weir of Grateful Dead fame, takin' a sail with the L.A. cats - ahoy there, get a load of the personnel credits on this bad boy!
    Merseyside lad Nigel Olsson as well on drums, who also did a similar type of album in 1980, literally called Changing Tides... :edthumbs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Because God loves country music.

I remember when you posted this pic. I never got around to checking out the album.

Found it on Spotify. I shall remedy that oversight today. :goodie:

FramboGND likes this.
  9. ispace

ispace Senior Member

It’s not visible on Spotify in Australia. Damn you Spotify.

10. Awesoman

Awesoman Forum Resident

This web series is gold. You can watch the whole thing in roughly one hour and it rewards you with repeated viewings.

Speaking of what constitutes as "yacht rock", while I agree with the OP that not all forms of 70's/80's soft rock accurately fits the description, there are at least some soft rockers who put out a few songs that definitely fits the bill such as the following:

America - "You Can Do Magic"
    Ambrosia - "How Much I Feel"
    Player - "Baby Come Back"
    Atlanta Rhythm Section - "Spooky" or "So Into You"
    Sanford Townsend Band - "Smoke From A Distant Fire"
    Lee Ritenour - "Is It You?"
    Seals & Crofts - "Summer Breeze" or "Diamond Girl"
    Firefall - "You Are The Woman"
    The Beach Boys - "Sail On, Sailor"
    Crosby, Stills And Nash - "Southern Cross"
    Robbie Dupree - "Steal Away"
    Climax Blues Band - "I Love You"
    England Dan And John Ford Coley - "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" or "It's Sad To Belong"
    Orleans - "Dance With Me"
    Bob Welch - "Sentimental Lady"

And there's a ton more. Agreements/disagreements...?

11. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Several I would disagree with here. Remember that the syncopated “bounce” rhythm is mandatory for Yacht Rock. Several of your picks have no bounce. Also YR typically avoids acoustic folk instrumentation such as acoustic guitars.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  12. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

S&C got more yachty throughout the seventies, bit like Doobie Bros really, culminating in this lovely 1980 effort:

[​IMG]

What do you think of this track?

If and Any Day · Seals and Crofts
    The Longest Road ℗ 1980 Warner Records Inc.

The title track, #2, and #8 are pretty nice as well I reckon. Sadly they were dropped from the label after this, and went quiet for over two decades. Track 6 might have been (and remains) a bit controversial!

LeftCoastGator and jfeldt like this.
  13. TNhillbilly

TNhillbilly Doctor Wu

Nice. I dig that! Off to add to my yacht rock playlist.

FramboGND likes this.
  14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It won’t go away, whatever it is.

15. Mix4800

Mix4800 Forum Resident

Ahoy matey

16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

17. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

England Dan & John Ford Coley, "In It For Love." I believe this track was a one-off addition to their "Best Of" album from 1979, so it's on the obscure side.

It's not an amazing track, but it's solid and definitely fits in comfortably with the L.A. West Coast pop sound of that era. Greg Guidry is one of the co-writers of this tune, which rides a nice Doobie Bounce.

And not surprisingly, it is featured below on the superb West Coast 99 channel on YouTube.

18. East of the Equator

East of the Equator Well-Known Member

This is an amazing breakdown! Thank you for posting.

I certainly didn't know the elements that define Yacht Rock (and WAS starting to think "It's probably just a cooler, flashier name for Adult Contemporary"...!) Anyway, really interesting for me to learn of the Laura Nyro connection. I've been an admirer of her work for over thirty years, but fairly sure this is the first I've heard of the "mu" chord -- and the fact that she invented it.

As for Adult Contemporary I'd say The Carpenters 1981 LP Made in America represents its zenith. As such, I'm wondering if something like Touch Me When We're Dancing would also qualify as Yacht Rock?

19. LeftCoastGator

Hey, no problem. Thank ChrisScooter1; he's the the guy who really has a handle on the theory.

Anyway, I checked out the song you mentioned and I'd say that's definitely nyacht. (or "not yacht" to the novice sailor. ;)) Yacht rock is smooth, but it's usually not soft, per se; there's usually elements of jazz and soul, unexpected bridges or changes, and frequently a killer guitar solo. This track has none of those. It's very soft and languid, very string forward (usually anathema to yacht fans), and just gently plods along.

By contrast, here's a Carpenters song from the same album that has more yacht elements, "I Want You Back in My Life Again."

Listen to the difference here. The keyboards are forward and have a beat similar to the classic Doobie Bounce, it's upbeat, has a few interesting changes and bridges, a Sanborn-esque sax solo and while it has strings, they're really more a background element than the focus. It's just a more complex, energetic song overall.

20. LeftCoastGator

Ha! I just posted this as an example for another post; I didn't notice that you posted it as well.

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

The sax solo is fairly correct on that previous track, the general ambience and location of the band as well, but as Gator says, strings? No. Plus I didn't like the way the song actually comes to a stop-start after about a minute in, total groove kill man!

Here's how it's done properly, in a CCM vein, similar year:

Tap yo toes :goodie: :pleased:

22. Scopitone

Scopitone Because God loves country music.

"But then one day there came a what in the road??? :wtf:

Jesus of Malibu, baby! (thanks again to our thread host)

Jesus of Malibu: Christian Yacht Rock

This song ain't on the list. . .

FramboGND and ispace like this.
  23. LeftCoastGator

Congrats, you picked some really good examples here. I'd disagree with a few here:
    • "Spooky": Some elements, but too bluesy, even by Southern yacht standards.
    • "Summer Breeze": In terms of compositional elements, there's a pretty strong argument that "Diamond Girl" could be yacht, but "Summer Breeze" is a bit too folky to make the boat.
    • "Sail On, Sailor: Probably my favorite Beach Boys song, but it doesn't have the yacht sound.
    • "Southern Cross": Probably the most frequently debated song on this thread, but while it's smooth AF, a bit too much of a a hippie holdover for yacht.
    • "I Love You"/"I'd Really Love To See You Tonight"/"It's Sad To Belong"/"Dance With Me"/ "Sentimental Lady": Some smooth operators, but none of these is yacht.

ispace and Scopitone like this.
  24. LeftCoastGator

Now that's a Doobie Bounce.

ispace, FramboGND and Scopitone like this.
  25. LeftCoastGator

Because it's not available on Spotify. Percentage-wise, very little Yacht Jesus is available there; YouTube is a much better source.

Scopitone likes this.