"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Im guessing when VMP only says "AAA cut from tapes" vs "AAA cut from analog tapes" they are just using a 2nd or 3rd generation tape...

2. NashvilleLyle2018

NashvilleLyle2018 Well-Known Member

wish they'd add a funk track

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I wrote this Post below last December, and if VMP would do it, then I would sign up as Member:agree:.

VMP needs to do a FUNK/R & B Track then I would be more tempted to join. Give me some P-FUNK(I Want My FUNK Uncut), Slave, Cameo, Earth, Wind & Fire(at least KG Mastered That’s The Way of the World for the Impex Label), Gap Band, Lakeside, Brothers Johnson, Con Funk Shun, Brass Construction, The Ohio Players, Dazz Band, Mass Production, Fatback Band, Midnight Star, LTD/Jeffrey Osborne, Shalamar, S.O.S. Band, The Deele(Babyface & LA Reid), Alexander O’Neal, Chic(also Nile Rodgers released 2 Good Albums I own on CD), along with some Jazz-FUNK from George Duke and Tom Browne. Oh, and the Best Male Voice I ever heard, give us some Luther Vandross:agree:. Then New Jack Swing Genre, which came out soon after I started buying Music, so a Few Good Albums from Guy, Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, etc.

Seeing that Hip Hop Music Artists during the 1990s Stole(errrr. Sampled) parts of Songs from several of the FUNK/R & B Music Artists I mentioned above, I discovered and bought a huge amount of those Albums(Built up my P-FUNK Collection as own over 50 CDs from various Music Groups from within George Clinton’s Empire) on CD during the 1990s/Early 2000s, even a few of them, as recently as within the past 10 years. In the past year, the Iconoclassic Label has reissued a few Slave and Junie Morrison Albums on CD. Also, Bobby Brown(Don’t Be Cruel), which unfortunately sold out fast, as it was pulled early(forgot the reason), before I was aware of their Label and saw their Thread here.

Bill_H, bmusic and 4oneFiva like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Comparing two albums recorded in different ways in different studios by different personnel is not the way to compare pressings. Couldn't be more apples to oranges than this!

5. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

I see other names thrown in there when Ryan is not involved in the cutting... how are they?

6. Bill_H

Bill_H Forum Resident

I've been meaning to mention I did a shoot out with MFSL One Step v. the VMP. When the MFSL came out I thought it was pretty great. However, compared to the VMP it feels more brittle, less integrated, certainly less exciting. The VMP had me captivated on an album I have heard many times. The MFSL had me wanting the VMP back on the table. For me, VMP wins hands down.

The Mobile Fidelity has the advantage of being 45 rpm as well.

7. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

What about the original? I got a pitman pressing FE 39304

It sounds great but perhaps could have more soundstage.

8. Strat-Mangler

THIS is a shootout, apples to apples. :)

Thank you for this, Bill. Your last line did give me a chuckle. :D

Ryan Smith did use the master tapes with AP to do the SRV albums in 33rpm and 2x45rpm as well, whereas a copy of the master tapes was used for the VMP pressings. I own the AP 33rpm although I am wondering in contrast to the AP 45rpm SRV titles, setting the obvious inconvenience of more frequent switching, whether there would be a significant difference in SQ and presentation versus the 33rpm.

bruinuclafan and Bill_H like this.
  9. Bill_H

Bill_H Forum Resident

Right on, as mentioned upthread I've been avoiding 45 rpm versions of stuff. My new recliner makes it more laborious to get up and down :goodie:

Unfortunately I don't have an OG or any of the AP versions.

skuhn8 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

On the rebuttals to my AP vs VMP opinion that there is "no debate" that AP is better...

I did not mean to suggest that VMP never put out a good record, or that was no VMP version that could match AP, or that some of the mastering engineers would be the same. I also do not mean to diss VMP in general, beyond the concerns I've already pressed. I think VMP is a good club. But I am certain that if one rated the overall sonics of 10 or 20 APs and compared them to 10 or 20 VMPs, the APs would come out on top.

For VMP fans who do not own many APs for comparison, I suggest folks look upthread at the comments on sonics and pressing quality in this thread, and then venture over to one of the AP threads

Jenifer and Bill_H like this.
  11. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I'm in the UK also and have recently subscribed for a second time. You can do the math yourself - but whilst the cost per record (dependent on, say, a 6 month subscription) isn't cheap, it is approximately equivalent to a Tone Poet - and it's cheaper than an Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds record, when you factor in postage and whatnot. There is also the fact that VMP is headache free - you don't need to worry about postage or import tax (unless you order a boxset or the like).

As for mastering/pressing quality, it's a mixed bag. Ryan K. Smith masters select releases for both VMP and AP - so it will vary from record to record. VMP and AP use RTI for select releases. Personally, as an owner of a significant number of records from both companies, I'd say it's much of a muchness regarding pressing quality - and the mastering is very much a case by case. Both companies are very clear regarding the mastering and the pressing plant. So you know what you are getting before you click buy.

I've had very few issues with poor quality control. On the two or three occasions whereby there has been an issue with the record, VMP provide a replacement - postage covered - with very little fuss. This is absolutely not the case with AP. And I can't overstate this enough. AP, and MoFi for that matter, require you to sign a disclaimer before you order. That disclaimer pushes all the risk onto you, the international customer. And so, if there is a problem with the record, postage is on you and, theoretically, they can request that you return the defective record - again - at your cost.

Personally, I use both companies and both put out a quality product. But, of the two, VMP is headache free and largely risk free. AP absolutely is not.

oldjollymon, Newscot and Bill_H like this.
  12. skuhn8

skuhn8 Forum Resident

VMP member for 4 years. Ends October and I don't plan on renewing. I was going to quit last year but when they enticed me with the 'Free 8' I couldn't resist (no regrets).

It's true: the quality has gone up, but I still have that bad taste from some of the past defects that were wildly out of alignment with the price. Premium prices for GZ pressed vinyl? That never made sense. Booklets that consist of a couple big-font paragraphs and no pics? Do what other labels do and slap on one side of a single 12x12 sheet. I really do love how they handle most (or at least many) of their album cover reproductions. Tip on jackets that remind me of old Blue Notes - yum. When VMP hits it out of the park they really do hit it out of the park (just recently purchased John Prine's Sweet Revenge - yowza!). There's some great albums coming out....but if I'm going to pay more than $30 for a single slab of vinyl it needs to be on my must-have list. So I guess this club relies on having the scratch to just not care about that price point.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from joining. Heck, I may rejoin at some point. But if you find yourself swapping for credit every other month it's probably time to part ways.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  13. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

It was said in the RSD ‘24 thread that GZ has stepped up their game, and based on personal experience with VMP, I would echo those sentiments. Perhaps GZ is aware of their old reputation. Perhaps they’ve lost business, or are experiencing lower demand for their services. Perhaps there is a QC clause in their contract. In any event, I’ve had some surprisingly positive GZ experiences, such that I didn’t know the pressing plant and wanted to find out because it was good. I don’t work for GZ, nor VMP. I have plenty of premium vinyl, and a set-up/tools able to reveal described differences (listed in profile)…I digress.

14. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

When is the new plant starting to work? Maybe Ill join then?

Also... I noticed some VMP vinyl on amazon.co.uk

15. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

The VMP "Couldn't Stand The Weather" caused my local tornado warning sirens to go off.
    It's that good folks.

16. mch007

mch007 Forum Resident

Little Richard is available for swap again, may be limited and may be due to some swaps/track removal.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

With Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand The Weather, I'm disappointed Stevie stopped naming his records with this theme. :D

Bill_H and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  18. MonkeyTennis

Compared with many of the sage souls here, I am a relative newcomer to vinyl - which will have a bearing on my experience with GZ.

However, and I say this hand on heart, I've not noticed any discernible difference in quality between, say, RTI and GZ. Both are equally capable of producing duds and bang on copies - in my experience. By way of example, my VMP Miles Electric set is perfect in every way, as is my Stones mono box set (both GZ, as I recall). The Dylan Fragments boxset is iffy in terms of QC, to put it very kindly.

Equally, RTI have done a stellar job with some of the Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions stuff that I own. But the Bill Evans boxset was not good. And, taken as a whole, my MoFi records are very hit and miss in terms of pressing quality.

19. mch007

mch007 Forum Resident

Sky is Crying (Raining) is also weather related. So he came back to it.

Strat-Mangler and Bill_H like this.
  20. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I compared the AP Texas Flood (2x45) to the VMP. I really like the VMP, especially its punchiness, but the AP was better on my system. Speaking of my system, I just picked up a new turntable today :) P10 club woohoo!

21. MonkeyTennis

Congrats! That's a serious upgrade.

You'll have to let us know how it sounds - I've got a P8, but I am so, so tempted to take that next step :)

22. bruinuclafan

I will let you know for sure! It's a new cartridge for me as well (Apheta 3) so with these big changes I'm going to need time to adjust.

this_machine and MonkeyTennis like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Congratulations on picking up an absolutely haw-dropping turntable, sir! :righton:

Check out my review of it if you haven't. I mentioned a few things not detailed on some reviews I sampled and I also reviewed some accessories. Might come in handy.

Rega P10 & Accessories - Mega Review!

Love my P10! What a beast!

24. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

?

25. bruinuclafan

I actually spent some time studying your review (which is maybe the best gear review I've ever seen) before deciding to get the P10 if it came around for the right price. Didn't take long! I will definitely reference it again in the coming weeks as I figure things out.