"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Bill_H

Bill_H Forum Resident

I have to reiterate Tony Rice Church St Blues sounds so good! I cleaned and listened to Blake & Rice I last night. Would love to see VMP take on more acoustic music in this genre.

Dignan2000, dranyen, Tooth and 3 others like this.
  2. buddhafish

buddhafish Well-Known Member

That Earth Day sale went quickly.
    20min in and hardly anything left.
    Still interesting to know that they seem to be keeping cosmetically damaged goods in storage.

Bill_H and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes as soon as I got the email everything was out of stock.
    Typical VMP

bmusic likes this.
  4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I decided to be crazy and ordered the 12 mystery bundle. Will be interesting to see what they are.

Juggsnelson and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Just FYI for anyone not familiar with the s/t T.Rex album… it is not very similar to “Electric Warrior” (in my humble opinion). Not a lot of distorted overdriven guitars like on Electric Warrior… check it out online if you haven’t heard it.

7. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

Just got Nilsson’s Pu$$y Cats today and put it on. Been a minute since I’ve listened to it, and that opening Many Rivers To Cross cover is so slow and thick and syrupy that I thought for a second it must be 45rpm and I forgot to set the speed!

record sounds lovely and warm and dead quiet

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  8. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate

I'm on the Rock track and am looking forward to getting the T Rex album in June. However, I'd also really to get a copy of Black Moses. Presumably, I'd have to wait until the next month to try to do a swap or purchase of Black Moses? Assuming that it hasn't sold out of course.

9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

After swaps have closed for April (on April 30), you can login to your membership page and add the essentials "track", you'll be charged $36 on May 1 and receive both records in May. You'll have to remove the additional track otherwise they'll keep sending you Essentials records.

Lost In The Flood and Anaplian like this.
  10. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Question:

I am thinking of joining this club subscription. I bought in the past through discogs/ebay John Mayer's Continuum and Sublime's self titled as well as 40 oz to Freedom ... but wondering if is really worth suncribing because:

a) I live in the UK.

b) I am wondering if Analogue Productions has better mastering/pressing quality.

c) I don't wanna have to return LPs due to poor Quality Control.

I do, looking at videos online as well as my current LPs from them, like their editions so far. But I've heard they can be a mixed bag.

Would you recommend it overall?
    Never subscribed to one of these LP clubs before...

Thank you for your input in advance!

11. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

I live in Italy and I am happy to be a member from December 2023.
    You don’t have to return the defective records, just send a video showing the defects
    to VMP e they will replace the records
    I do recommend VMP.
    If you want a discount to subscribe here’s my code Join the Club

SVL! and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  12. Bill_H

Bill_H Forum Resident

I think quality has become more consistent in the past year or two regarding production issues. Also like that they cut things typically in similar format to original, i.e. 33 rpm often.

If you run into issues they always fix it, at least with me.

13. David Harris

David Harris Good Son

Sent you a DM with some answers.

14. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

Here’s another referral code if anyone is looking to start or renew a membership & wants to save some dough…:)

hi_watt likes this.
  15. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Surprised we haven’t gotten more leaks for the June lineup

16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

What do you mean? All the june ROTMs have been announced

17. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Sorry, I meant July.

18. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

I've been a member for a few months, and it's been a mixed bag. I do not yet know if I will renew. You can see a number of my posts upthread.

One thing though that is really not open for debate is Analogue Productions. AP has far better mastering and pressing quality. Of course, that comes at a price. But if you had to pick just one company for the best rock, jazz, blues vinyl; it would really have to be AP. Their Atlantic 75 series is awesome, their UHQRs are over the top.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I mean, when it comes to comparing apples to apples, aren't they both using RKS a lot for mastering? Not really clear to me why AP's mastering is so much better or how that is not open to debate. Of course, QRP is a better plant than GZ. No argument there. We'll see what happens when the new plant opens.

20. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

I have had plenty of bad discs from QRP, including UHQRs. Also, isn’t it the case that not all VMP releases are GZ? I’m not a member right now, but was a year or two ago. My stacks are stuffed.

Bill_H likes this.
  21. mch007

mch007 Forum Resident

IMHO VMP is way more diverse overall, especially in Rock genre.

Geee! and Bill_H like this.
  22. Syr1990

Syr1990 Well-Known Member

The VMP SRV Couldn’t Stand the Weather is on par with the AP In Step I also have. Both mastered by the same mastering engineer. Most of VMP’s AAA selections are really really good.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

You have to do the math on the extra cost to see if it's worth it for you. I am in Canada so also International, and for me it was worth it.

A lot of titles are done by Ryan K Smith who also does a lot of work for Analogue Productions (including UHQRs).

Pressing quality is about the same for me. I have had some faulty VMP pressings, but also the same with QRP and RTI.

Plus VMP has a new pressing plant that will be supervised by the person (Gary Salstrom) who previously managed the QRP plant.

You never have to return faulty product. They just mail you a new copy. They have the best customer service. So much better than dealing with Acoustic Sounds for anyone outside the US.

I am happy with my subscription and recommend them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    WhatDoIKnow, Newscot and bruinuclafan like this.
  24. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

VMP mastering quality is just as good as AP’s especially on the stuff they cut AAA by Ryan Smith , their pressings are done at GZ though now so the vinyl isn’t as good, usually noisier with more warps, but the mastering and jackets/packaging are top notch. Their new plant should be comparable though hopefully.

AP cuts at 45 rpm a lot which I admit usually is harder to beat, but most prefer the convenience of 33 anyway even if it’s not quite as big of a sound

brimuchmuze and bruinuclafan like this.
  25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

no one is putting out top quality country and hip hop reissues like VMP either . Cornered market